Which one is "good", which one is "evil"?

urtin3

The Dunmer, and their Chimer ancestors, were outright hostile towards the Altmer way of thinking. Whereas the Altmer beleive that the Divines are their legitimate ancestors, the Dunmer reject their ancestry and try to make them selves better than their Aedric origins, while the Altmer endevour to return to it. In Aldmeris, Aedra means Ancestor, where as Daedra means Not (or in some cases, Better) Ancestor, and the Dunmer worship of the Daedra is well established over the last 4000 years. If anything, i would think that puratins like the Thalmor would want to purge the Dunmer from existance even more than the Humans. Humans are mortal creations whose purpose is to serve, the Dunmer are near-gods who have rejected their fellows and consorted with 'evil' powers, after all.

But i digress, Blackmarsh is the main problem with the Domminion just going around and taking Morrowind. Blackmarsh sucks. It was the hardest for the Empire to 'capture', and they never really controled it. They held a few port cities, but the majority of the province was native. Because of the lack of exploration in Blackmarsh, even thousands of years on, theres no way to know the total military strength of the Argonians, and the fact that the Hist can communicate instantaniously over long distances, and control their Argonian vassals, means any invading force is as a serious dissadvantage. In fact, the Hist have such a chokehold over the province, i suspect they let the Empire take control, and when they were done with it, they saw to it that the Argonians removed the Empire.

Edited by Lachdonin

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But i digress, Blackmarsh is the main problem with the Domminion just going around and taking Morrowind. Blackmarsh sucks. It was the hardest for the Empire to 'capture', and they never really controled it. They held a few port cities, but the majority of the province was native. Because of the lack of exploration in Blackmarsh, even thousands of years on, theres no way to know the total military strength of the Argonians, and the fact that the Hist can communicate instantaniously over long distances, and control their Argonian vassals, means any invading force is as a serious dissadvantage. In fact, the Hist have such a chokehold over the province, i suspect they let the Empire take control, and when they were done with it, they saw to it that the Argonians removed the Empire.

Not to mention, the last time someone invaded, aka Dagon, The Hist "powered up" The Argonians turning them into a murderous rampaging force so powerful that Dagon's generals were closing their own Oblivion gates out of sheer fear of the masses of Argonians pouring through.

The Argonians were the only race on Tamriel to beat Dagon's armies through military strength.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

The Dunmer, and their Chimer ancestors, were outright hostile towards the Altmer way of thinking. Whereas the Altmer beleive that the Divines are their legitimate ancestors, the Dunmer reject their ancestry and try to make them selves better than their Aedric origins, while the Altmer endevour to return to it. In Aldmeris, Aedra means Ancestor, where as Daedra means Not (or in some cases, Better) Ancestor, and the Dunmer worship of the Daedra is well established over the last 4000 years. If anything, i would think that puratins like the Thalmor would want to purge the Dunmer from existance even more than the Humans. Humans are mortal creations whose purpose is to serve, the Dunmer are near-gods who have rejected their fellows and consorted with 'evil' powers, after all.

Not to mention, the last time someone invaded, aka Dagon, The Hist "powered up" The Argonians turning them into a murderous rampaging force so powerful that Dagon's generals were closing their own Oblivion gates out of sheer fear of the masses of Argonians pouring through.

The Argonians were the only race on Tamriel to beat Dagon's armies through military strength.

Thanks for your opinions, guys. I was just curious if the Dominion actually has any long-term military plans for those two provinces, as thus far they didn't seem to be even remotely interested in either Morrowind (or what's left of it) or Black Marsh; I guess the Thalmor turning these lands into their client states (as they did with Elsweyr) isn't a case, then.

But if there is some kind of hereditary enmity between the Altmer and the Dunmer and the invasion on any Argonian territory being indeed a lot more than any Thalmor general would have bargained for, maybe the Empire should somehow regain those provinces? Not by military force, as that would be as hard for the Empire as it would be for the Dominion, especially in Black Marsh, but rather using careful diplomacy. I mean, both Morrowind and Black Marsh were once, more or less, part of the Empire and striking some kind of uneasy alliance with them against the bigger enemy wouldn't hurt, I guess. Of course there is also a problem of complicated Dunmer-Argonian relations, but maybe with the Empire acting as an intermediary and peacemaker, both parties would've agree to at least temporarily put their differences aside, especially if told that the Empire might be bad and far from perfect, but the Dominion is even worse and might be trying to somehow deconstruct the world as we know it and rebuild it as they see fit - however that might sound - instead of just conquering and subjugating everything. Do you think that something like that, such an alliance, is possible or even desirable?

Edited by Inquart

Morrowind is, by all accounts, still an Imperial province. It never left, though it's had some rough patches over the last 200 years. Most of it anyway... I seem to remember in the books that though the Argonians captured the southlands (former Dres territory) they up and left after taking revenge for the slavery.

As for Blackmarsh, the only way the Empire could take any kind of control of it, again, would be through the Hist. If they would convince the Hist to join the Empire, the Argonians would fall in line post-haste. Problem is... the Hist are trees, and only the Argonians (and some weird thinger-ma-jigs in Umbriel) can talk to them. And, since the Argonians are not commonly ones to talk to... well... anyone else, that makes negotiations difficult, to say the least.

If you side with the Imperials, listen to some of the new guards talking after you take Riften. They seem to think this is a good thing because it gives them a base from which to move on Morrowind. It doesn't sound like the Empire's intentions regarding that semi-ex-province are any too friendly, though perhaps they are more concerned with the Argonian presence there.

I only wonder how it would continue after the PC assassinated the emperor on the Brotherhood questline, since its optional guess it wont have any impact on any other story continuation in future.

Well technically, every questline is assumed to have been done, but not necessarily by the PC. So if you didn't kill the emperor, someone else did.

As for what would happen after his death, a new emperor would come into power, one that doesn't have all of the hatred Titus Mede II did, and could possibly use anti-Thalmor resentment across The Empire to spur people together into a fighting force to fight the Dominion.

Well technically, every questline is assumed to have been done, but not necessarily by the PC. So if you didn't kill the emperor, someone else did.

As for what would happen after his death, a new emperor would come into power, one that doesn't have all of the hatred Titus Mede II did, and could possibly use anti-Thalmor resentment across The Empire to spur people together into a fighting force to fight the Dominion.

well true thanks, though for once I would like to see wolf queen's resurrection, but then I guess thalmor would become lesser evil :whistling:

Not every questline can be assumed to have been done. Some things simply clash. For example: If you assume the PC (or any other character) destroyed the DB, then the DB couldn't have killed the emperor. He could've still been killed by another organization, but it'll become an entirely different lore. We'll probably have to wait until the next TES game to find out which one "really" happened.

Or, a more on topic example: Either the stormcloaks won, or the empire won. You cannot assume that both these things happened.

Or, a more on topic example: Either the stormcloaks won, or the empire won. You cannot assume that both these things happened.

Wrong. In TES lore, anyway. A Dragon Break solves all the continuity problems, allowing even contradictory events to happen at the same time. The Dark Brotherhood can both be destroyed, and reborn to live again. The Stormcloaks and Imperials can both win the war, to carry on for a better tommorow.

In all likelyhood, the 'Destruction of the Dark Brotherhood' will happen, but pertain to the Pentus Oculatus raid on the Falkreath Sancuary. Then, the survivors will use the Dawnstar Sancuary to kill the Emperor.

As for the Stormcloak/Imperial issue, i forsee that both Ulfric and Tullius will die during the fighting, with no clear victor, and only the onset of another Great War will actually quell the fighting, with the Stormcloaks setting down their complaints for a chance against the Thalmor, and the promise that Talos will be fully reinstated.