Skyrim CPU overheating issue

noxus235

So Tl;DR when I first got this pc I had no issues with anything even with all the mods that I have now, then recently when I started playing again FPS would be perfectly fine then drop to 5 fps.

I looked at my CPU temp and it was at 100C.

Tried testing in an non modded game, not much of a difference. Even with low settings. No frame drops but still a spicy CPU temp at 95 especially out doors.

So is there something I'm overlooking or do I just need a good PC dusting(which I plan on doing tomorrow anyways). Because this is the only game I have this issue on. Other games like Warframe, Battletech, WoW, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch on Ultra don't have this issue sitting at 65-70c.

For those curious using a GTX 1070 with an i7 8700k built March of 2018 & my GPU sits at 40-50c.

You may want to use a CPU stress test program and check your temps. It's unlikely that Skyrim would cause that.

If your CPU is overheating, then I'd say you need to check that your CPU fan is working properly and reapply the thermal grease between your CPU and heatsink. Look up instructions, as only a very small amount is needed. Slathering the entire CPU with thermal grease is actually bad for it. Also, don't reseat the heatsink without replacing the thermal grease. If you're not confident about doing it yourself, then get a computer shop to do it.

You should also check to see if your motherboard has any BIOS updates.