Can't take a screen shot

Jennifur68

I'm not sure what's going on but when I press F12 to do a screen shot it opens my SkyUI magic menu for all magic items, pressing F12 again causes the menu to close and my character to go into sneak mode...if I keep pressing F12 it just cycles between the menu and sneak. Pressing the PrntScn button on my keyboard flashes a message in the upper left of the screen "screenshot01.bmp created" but I can't paste it into Photoshop and it doesn't show up seaching though my start menu and on exiting Skryim it doesn't launch the Steam Screenshot Manager. I haven't changed any key assignments ever, everything was running perfectly normal just a few days ago. The only changes I've made since my last succesful screenshot and now were a few texture replacements I made to green up the Whiterun area and add some flowers to make it look more like spring and I wanted a few screenshots of that. The textures are just simply placed in Skyrim/Data/Textures/Plants and Skyrim/Data/Textures/Landscape/Grass...I made no .esp in the creation kit for them since it was a simple texture override, I didn't see the point of an .esp for that.

I just updated to the latest version of SKSE today after I noticed the problem with screenshots hoping an update might clear it up but its still happening.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/JennInstalledModsLoadOrder.jpg

Edited by Jennifur68

I don't know the solution to your problem (someone else probably does), but you could make a temporary work-around by going to Steam-> Settings -> In-Game and changing the screenshot key.

The steam tab is where "file" usually is in windows programs.

http://i.imgur.com/RavBg.png

Thanks Hymmnos you helped me diagnose my issue...it turns out that it was my Microsoft keyboard. I tried to change my screenshot to F11 in Steam...it came up as S when I pressed F11, so I tried resetting it to F12, that set it as P. For some reason the keyboard has suddenly decided to start using its bound keys...F12 was bound to P which is bound to Print...so when I pressing F12 it was like pressing P, and apparently in Skyrim pressing P toggles between the magic menu and sneak. I did try to change the Microsoft keyboard binding but I was only able to either change it or disable the key...and disabling it really made the key non-functional. Using my old reliable HP Keyboard that I've had forever fixed the issue...sometimes all the new fancy bells and whistles on a keyboard just get in the way.

Rabbit I looked everyplace I could think of for the screenshots that were taken using Print Screen and I still haven't found them,

In case anyones interested here's what I was trying to get shots of. ^^

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/th_MammothinthePoppies.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/th_WhiterunSpring.jpg

Edited by Jennifur68

Jennifur68: When I press printscreen, the screenshots end up in my steamapps/skyrim folder right beside the Data folder and skse. If you don't see them there, your UAC might be blocking them. That happened to me in Oblivion.

Actually I learned with Vista that one of the first things I want to do after installing Vista or Windows 7 is turn off UAC. ;) I just found them in the main Skyrim folder...they weren't showing up in a search in my start menu and I overlooked them the first time because I was looking for a screenshot folder.

Jennifur68: When I press printscreen, the screenshots end up in my steamapps/skyrim folder right beside the Data folder and skse. If you don't see them there, your UAC might be blocking them. That happened to me in Oblivion.

Actually I learned with Vista that one of the first things I want to do after installing Vista or Windows 7 is turn off UAC. ;) I just found them in the main Skyrim folder...they weren't showing up in a search in my start menu and I overlooked them the first time because I was looking for a screenshot folder.

Yay for that! If only all Skyrim issues could be solved so quickly. Loved the color in your shots, btw. :)