Sneaking difficulty modification - issues with Falmers not behaving as

zyg0tic

Hi I have recently been working on a sneaking difficulty mod, and also looking at similar mods made by others.

I'd like to request help from you modders out there...

There is an issue with one of the variables, that pertains to detection in lit areas. In the Gameplay Settings of the CK, its fSneakLightMult. When it is increased significantly it makes it as though Falmers are not blind - this is obviously not lore friendly and doesn't make much sense. So I've been trying to find a solution to this issue. Normal actors should be able to see you in lit areas, whereas Falmers should not.

A possible hint at the solution to this was found in this article on the CreationKit wiki:

http://www.creationkit.com/Category:Detection

It mentions there is a factor in detection called blindness. If we could figure out how to edit that blindness value in a way that is applied exclusively to Falmers, it could be the solution.

Eager for any help. Thanks!

I'm not certain, but looking at the CK, I believe the issue is that Falmer are only 80% blind. So in bright enough light (or in your case, by dialing up the fSneakLightMult), they can actually see somewhat. Blindness is applied as a magic effect "AbBlind" which is included in the racial ability "AbFalmer" (under spells). Try setting the blindness in AbFalmer to Magnitude 100 and see if it corrects the issue. Also realize that Falmer have several different sneak bonuses which makes them rather difficult to sneak up on despite their blindness.

Would you please report back on what you discover? I'm actually rather interested in this myself.

Yeah man, Im thinking the same about the AbBlind or something similar being applied to them that would render them totally blind.

I did check the RaceFalmer and one of the actor entries for Falmer too, hoping to find something pertaining to it. I'm just checking it again as I write this post.

To test it I'd need a savegame in Markarth undercity (lots of Falmer there) or some place similar.

... Okay, I just found the AbFalmer entry (its under Spell) and changed the magnitude to 100.00. Hopefully this should be the solution. Increasing it more (to say 500) might be necessary, but for now I'll roll with 100. I dont have a savegame near Falmer so testing it will be a matter of console commands. Anyway, thanks man!

Edit: I've updated my sneaking mod with the changes - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/27113

Edited by zyg0tic

• 5 years later...