How much VRAM will I need for TCP or S.T.E.P?

Pmckenna

Hi guys & gals!

This is my first post on the nexus so, apologies if it's in the wrong section.

Anyways, I'd like to know how much Vram mods like TCP (texture pack combiner) and S.T.E.P (skyrim total enhancement project) will use at 1080p.

I'll be using an Asus gtx 670 DirectCU II, non top version. Whether I need 2gb or 4gb I hope to find out here. ;)

Bonus Q... What kind of fps can I expect using the above card whilst those mods are installed?

Thanks,

P

I don't have STEP but I do have TCP with all the options, most at the high res option. I also use an enb pre-set on top settings and the W.A.T.E.R mod.

I see performance almost consistently between 37 and 50 fps.

My GPU is an MSI 660 Ti with 2GB of VRAM so I think on a 670 you'll be just fine.

Edit: Welcome to the forums :)

I don't have STEP but I do have TCP with all the options, most at the high res option. I also use an enb pre-set on top settings and the W.A.T.E.R mod.

I see performance almost consistently between 37 and 50 fps.

My GPU is an MSI 660 Ti with 2GB of VRAM so I think on a 670 you'll be just fine.

Edit: Welcome to the forums :)

Good to hear, thanks.

Honestly, 37 fps sounds fantastic to me. (I'm making the leap from console gaming so I don't know any better :wink: )

How much VRAM are you using? Do you feel 2gb might be limiting your fps?

Also, are you at 1080p or more?

Thank you for the welcome.

Edited by Pmckenna

No worries mate, it's a question many ask but few know the answer.

Is that a 1gb or 2gb card? Don't think you'll be able to use all the textures at max resolution with 1gb. Maybe mix and match a few of the optional packs? There might also be a lite version of TPC you could try.

Best way to find out would be, try it and see what happens. Or you're in the same boat as me, no card and trying to find one that best suits your needs. :biggrin:

i highly recommend using a FPS limiting program, like dxtory and cap it at about 45 FPS,

the reason is you don't want the GPU running 60fps when you don't need to, like in a house, then when you step outside you find that your GPU has overheated and it starts to shutter/lag, so keeping the workload in the middle keeps the card cooler, and the transition will be less server,

im still using my two year old sapphire toxic 6850 1GB card and i run HEAPS of mods, game set between high/ultra, 1080p on a 42" my card seems to perform way above its specs should allow, i dont know why that is. when i tell friends im still on this 6850, they call batsh!t cos its old tech with only 1gig vram, i think its due to my fanatic computer cooling and the help of FPS dxtory,

skyrim HD full,

WATER

better distant terrain

static mesh improvements

all hi res armors, char, guards, animals, etc,

flora overhaul full,

bigger trees

and a few others