Improved Slaving

OrdoMalleus

For my second playthrough, I decided to try an evil character. I started playing as a slaver, but I was disappointed with how it worked. Once the novelty of the mesmetron wore off, it just wasn't worth it. Few characters with worthwhile items could be mezzed, and the reward from Paradise Falls wasn't worth the effort most of the time. It was fun to do occasionally, but it could have been much more interesting.

I thought I'd start this thread to suggest ways that slaving could be improved. I know some/all of this stuff isn't possible yet, but maybe it'll be useful in the future. Please feel free to add your own ideas.

For one thing, slaves just disappear when they reach the holding area in Paradise Falls. It would be better if the most recent captures stayed in the pens, so you could see the results of your work. Maybe have the last 3 or so stay in the pen (so it doesn't become too crowded), until someone new replaces them.

More characters should be vulnerable to the mesmetron. It makes no sense that so many named characters can be killed but not mezzed, even though killing and slaving are very similar gameplay-wise. Anyone not marked as essential should be mezzable.

Also, there could be an option to have slaves follow you instead of sending them to Paradise Falls. You could have one slave at a time, along with your regular companion. Having an extra follower to fight and carry stuff would give the player some real motivation to become a slaver.

Some NPCs could be tagged as potential buyers. If you have a slave following you, you could try selling directly to them. Some NPCs might need a speech check to convince.

For a larger change, some kind of gladiator arena would be great. You could fight in the arena, or send in a slave and watch. Fights would get progressively harder, and you'd get rewards if you win.

There are a few extra things you can do as an evil slaver than just mezz people. For example, on the quest Those!, you can negotiate Bryan Wilks a new 'home' at Paradise Falls by talking to Eulogy Jones. But I do agree that simply mezzing people, taking maybe 100 caps worth of stuff, and sending them on their way isn't really a lot of fun the 40th time you do it.

You need a new item in your inventory which is a remote control button that says "BOOM" on the button. It makes the collars of your owned slaves explode. Then you can use it to intimate slaves into working for you as pack-mules to carry your items...or to go into battle for you...or to go into a city and start random fighting as a distraction so you can do you business and not get aggro'd

Also, this game badly needs an arena like in Oblivion...except that you can put your captured slaves to work in it as gladiators. With the movie Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome, I don't know how the devs missed on this!!!

Archived