"Scrapyard" Melee weapons!

Deleted919650User

One of my first "why can't I...?" for F3 was wondering why I couldn't make a makeshift machete/sword from a lawnmower blade instead of a silly flaming sword, so I get exactly what the OP means! I also really wanted simple home-made molotov cocktails (not Quantum mega-bombs!). It's a shame that Bethesda put weapon crafting into the game, yet really didn't make use of it.

I also think there is really too much focus on Small Guns in the game... every other "path" of combat is really just a backup to that. Making a wider variety of melee weapons that are easier to come by and damaging enough to be useful (then again, I also think the repair system used is a bit silly... just HOW can I repair a tire iron with another tire iron?! It's not like a gun with lots of working parts!). I'm working on a mod to "fix" some of this, however being that I can't create models, I can't add new melee weapons (though I agree it would be fine to reuse most of the same animations).

Incidentally, my own wishlist (apologies if there's any duplicates here) for new melee and constructable weapons is not that long:

Fire Axe

Crowbar

Spear!!!

Circular Saw Halberd (from the guide book concept art, very cool)

Junk Sword (made from lawnmower blade)

Pipe Rifle

Zip Gun

Cattle Prod (uses small energy cells, again from classic Fallout)

Home-Made Cattle Prod (made from iron pipe+fission battery+conductor?)

Molotov (soda bottle+turpentine+rags of some sort?)

Spiked Bat (baseball bat+railroad spikes?)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of my first "why can't I...?" for F3 was wondering why I couldn't make a makeshift machete/sword from a lawnmower blade instead of a silly flaming sword, so I get exactly what the OP means! I also really wanted simple home-made molotov cocktails (not Quantum mega-bombs!). It's a shame that Bethesda put weapon crafting into the game, yet really didn't make use of it.

I also think there is really too much focus on Small Guns in the game... every other "path" of combat is really just a backup to that. Making a wider variety of melee weapons that are easier to come by and damaging enough to be useful (then again, I also think the repair system used is a bit silly... just HOW can I repair a tire iron with another tire iron?! It's not like a gun with lots of working parts!). I'm working on a mod to "fix" some of this, however being that I can't create models, I can't add new melee weapons (though I agree it would be fine to reuse most of the same animations).

Incidentally, my own wishlist (apologies if there's any duplicates here) for new melee and constructable weapons is not that long:

Fire Axe

Crowbar

Spear!!!

Circular Saw Halberd (from the guide book concept art, very cool)

Junk Sword (made from lawnmower blade)

Pipe Rifle

Zip Gun

Cattle Prod (uses small energy cells, again from classic Fallout)

Home-Made Cattle Prod (made from iron pipe+fission battery+conductor?)

Molotov (soda bottle+turpentine+rags of some sort?)

Spiked Bat (baseball bat+railroad spikes?)

On this note and everyone's . Since this is a scrapyard mod why can't the player walk up to a ruined truck and scavenge it for parts and weapons? [i.E. Fuses could be useful parts and you could use the iron pieces in it to use as weapons] and be able to walk up to everything that can be salvageable and take something out of it to use?

No, I mean, I believe the effects come from the gun, and not the ammo.

matters not.

here's how you would do it if ammo has no direct effect:

when you "load" new ammo into a gun, it automagically swaps the gun for an exact duplicate with the effects provided by the "ammo".

not hard.

other than that, I know you can load ammo that has different effects. there is a mod out with a grenade launcher where you can choose to load mines or grenades, and the mines act differently than the grenades do as ammo.

On this note and everyone's . Since this is a scrapyard mod why can't the player walk up to a ruined truck and scavenge it for parts and weapons? [i.E. Fuses could be useful parts and you could use the iron pieces in it to use as weapons] and be able to walk up to everything that can be salvageable and take something out of it to use?

IMO, in a "perfect" Fallout 3, we should be able to scavenge parts from those cars, buses, washing machines, stoves, fridges, computers, kicking around the wasteland.

Then again, one of the biggest problems I have with F3 as a Fallout sequel is that the apocalypse seems too "recent"... it looks like the world got nuked about three or four years ago, judging from the stuff lying around (food, still-working computers, etc.)... it's hard to reconcile with the fact that it is supposed to be set TWO HUNDRED YEARS after the bombs fell!!! It's not a complaint, since I actually PREFER the feeling (despite the facts) of playing in the aftermath of a more recent apocalypse, but one has to wonder just what would could be salvaged realistically from a two hundred year old car or computer. I guess in the Fallout world, things really were built to last... :)

Ayuh, being able to scavenge parts would be an amazingly cool addition, but that's a much more complicated version of what I want! I don't even particularly care if the weapons are craftable (though it would be a very nifty feature, and I've seen at least one mod that adds a new craftable item to the game), I just want them introduced as random drops on raiders, wastelanders, and scavengers! You know, have a couple of these types of weapons laying around raider outposts, or even equipped by the raiders themselves. This should be very doable without the construction set, so please, somebody take on this project!

TBH if culture got stuck back in the 30s or 50s or such instead of advancing to where it was today, and pretty much made the "future" retrograde.. things would be built to last..

For instance: jeep transmissions used to last forever.. still have a good ol 1960s jeep that has been well used, and the transmission is as solid as adamantium and works better than the day it was assembled.

But now we have transmissions that we're lucky if they'll last more than 6 years....

I made some simple concept art of the kind of weapons I'd like to see! Just two for now. Not the best photoshopping, but I think I did well enough to get my point across. :)

http://usera.ImageCave.com/ZFS_Cartographer/Screenshots/Branch-Cutter.jpg

http://usera.ImageCave.com/ZFS_Cartographer/Screenshots/Dagger-Pick.jpg

Another piece of concept art, the "Chopper," which is a lawnmower blade bolted onto a cut down rifle stock. This isn't a great piece of art, but it gets the job done. My biggest complaint is being unable to show size in comparison to the other weapons. This'd be a fairly long weapon, though. About the same length as the shishkebab. Dagger pick is about the same length as the lead pipe, and the branch cutter is about the same length as the shishkebab.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/ZFS_Cartographer/Screenshots/Lawnmower-Chopper.jpg

You know if someone made some of this sfuff I might would play a melee fighter for once.

What about a soda bottle as a simple club? Hit someone with a nice thick one would hurt but being

glass it would most likely brake after a hit or two. Plus there is no shotage of them in the game

It would make for a neat last resort weapon.

Archived