Orcish Bow Retexture Help?

Invctus

Hello everyone,

For a mod I am working on I would like to rextexture (just that--no re-meshing) the Orcish bow to give it a golden look similar to the Elven or Dwarven Bow. I have GIMP 2 and NifSkope but I am unsure how to approach this...for one thing, I'd like the bow to have a shine similar to (if not exactly like, if a replication is impossible) that on the Elven Bow or Dwarven Bow, and I do not know if just recoloring the orcishbow.dds file in GIMP would do that. Also, when I opened up the .dds in GIMP I saw how even the parts of the Orcish arrow and quiver are in the file, and since everything is broken up I'm not sure what parts are the textures for just the bow and what parts are textures for other things that I do not want to change.

So, any tips for a novice modder like myself on retexturing this thing? :]

Thank you!

EDIT: user ghosu made a vid tutorial while I was writing this. Perhaps the vid would be easier to follow :)

To know which parts are just for the bow, open the orcishbow.nif in Nifskope, right click on the model, chosee Textures > Edit UV. That will show you which parts of the .dds belong to the bow.

For editing the texture, you have three files, orcishbow.dds , orcishbow_n.dds , orcishbow_m.dds.

-To edit the colours, edit the "orcishbow.dds".

-To add specular hihglights, you need to edit the alpha channel of the "orcishbow_n.dds". To do this, open orcishbow_n.dds in Gimp, right-click on your layer and choose "Add layer mask" then choose "transfer layer's alpha channel". Again you need to colour in shades of grey. White areas recieve specular highlights while black areas don't. When you're done editing, right-click your layer and choose "apply layer mask".

-To add reflectivity, edit the "orcishbow_m.dds" , you need to colour in shades of grey. White areas show max reflectivity and black areas are non reflective, shades of grey would show variying degrees of reflectivity.

Just so you know, the alpha channel of the orcishbow.dds shows transperency. Black would be fully transparent while white would be fully opaque.

Edited by asdgora

I was playing around with this too because of the forum request but I'm really picky and so far I haven't made a texture I'm happy with.

I made these UVW maps to work from, good luck. ^^

Color coded...just like in Ghosu's video...apply this to the bow to see where the parts are. Green is the bow, red the arrow and blue the quiver.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/OrcBowUVWColorcodes-1.jpg

UVW maps in 1024 and 512...you can paste then on top on the texture and set the blending mode to screen to see just the white edges.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/OrcBowUVW1024.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/OrcBowUVW512.jpg

Edited by Jennifur68