Help a Rookie

SaberShard

Hello everybody and thank you for taking the time to read and/or reply

I don't mean for this topic to sound like a request of any kind, but I'd like to actually start tinkering around with the Creation Kit, and I seem to be in need of more experienced modders of whom I can come to with any questions I've got regarding what I can and can't do.

For example, am I able to change the magnitude of the Redguard's Adrenaline Rush ability, or is it set in stone at 10x? Am I able to create a power or lesser power that has a cooldown time?

In short, I'm not looking to make anything flashy, I'm simply trying to rebalance parts of the game that I feel are unbalanced. If anybody is willing to lend some of their time to helping me, I'd be extremely grateful.

NOTE: If I posted this in the wrong section, I apologize.

I"m amazed that nobody has replied to your message in nearly a 24 hour period (ADDED COMMENT: I see that the nexus' time is not the same as my time, Hmmm). I assume you have already read and watched ALL the tutorials on the creationkit.com and youtube. If not, I strongly recommend you do this first.

As for your questions on editing the reguard powers or creating a cooldown time for powers...the answer is yes, but might require some scripting.

Edited by leedavis

but none have really helped me figure out what it is I'm trying to do.

Well, no, you have to know that for yourself. I suggest you make up your mind about what specifically you want your mod to do, search for related tutorials and start working. When you are stuck, come back with a detailed description of what you want to do, what you have already tried and what excactly is the problem.

That's just the thing. I have a general idea of what I want to do, but I don't know how to go about doing it all. I also don't know what I can and can't do with the Creation Kit. I don't know if what I want to do requires scripting, of which I doubt I'd be able to learn, since things like that always seem to slip past me. The entire reason I posted on the forums is so I could find somebody willing to just sit down and help me figure out how to do what I want to do.

None of the tutorials actually seem to touch on what I'm wanting to do. I see tutorials for creating and decorating cells, creating and adding items into the game, on how to make things to sit on, and creating races, but nothing, to my knowledge, of what I'm wanting to do.

Ok, so you don't know where to start. I can imagine it's quite overwhelming at first. Unfortunately I haven't edited the redguard's adrenaline rush or created a power with a cooldown timer. So if you want someone to talk you through that step by step that's not me.

I can however tell you how to start modding (based on the two examples you gave on what you want to do): Open the creation kit. In the object window find the "spells" category. Click it. Now find the Redguards adrenaline rush. Doubleclick it. You will get a form with different values. Try what you can and can't change. It will most likely reference other form such as magic effects as well. You can also try to edit these. Put the name in the top left searchbox and choose "all" in the lower left corner of the object window to search through all categories. Save your changes to a plugin and check it ingame, If it's not what you wanted, go back to CK.

Have a clear goal of what you want. Don't worry if it's doable. You'll notice if it's not.

If you need a general feel in dealing with the creation kit follow a basic tutorial even if it's not closely related to what you want. You will learn your way around the CK and get an idea where to look for what and how to use it.

Instead of trying to find a tutorial on something specific. Start with one of the beginning CK tutorials - don't worry about it not showing exactly what you want to do. just follow the examples - build a house or create a NPC or whatever else the tutorial is showing. These are the simple things you will need to know before tackling your own mod.

The purpose of the tutorials is not to actually follow a step by step procedure to make a new mod, but to learn how the CK works. They have you do a step by step to see how things are done in the CK. - so after you have completed the tutorial you will have both a basic grounding in the mechanics of how to get around in the CK, but also possibly a better idea of how to go about what you want to create and whether or not it is doable using the CK - or if you will also need to learn some other program as well - no matter what you want to do, knowing the CK is necessary to making a mod.

Then, when you get stuck, come back here to ask specific questions (such as your examples) on how to do specific things. :thumbsup: