Recommend a Game

Rennn

Aren't they only important because they're so few npcs?

Yes, but also because they're all unique. Look at it this way, IRL would you like to know 100 shallow, vapid people, or 3 interesting people? It might be a matter of opinion, but I would far prefer just a few interesting, irreplaceable people. Skyrim's clones are the opposite of what I look for in a game.

I love dark souls but I find it funny when some say ds has the greatest storytelling in video games.

They say that because the world itself tells the story. The story isn't particularly deep. It's on the more original end, but that's not what sets it apart. When I say it's an example of the greatest storytelling in videogames, it's because every scene in the game and every location and character fills in a small piece of the story. Other games tell instead of show (to use literary terms), whereas Dark Souls is all about showing and touching.

Also I wouldnt say npcs do there own thing. They teleport from place to place but you never even see them move only if you attack them. .

Some do teleport of course, but when they teleport is subject to many variables, and I've found npcs dead, killed half way to their locations. The Onionhead of Catarina (lol) is a great example; I accidentally knocked him off a path in Sen's Fortress with the cannonball traps. Idk why he was walking around or where he was going, but he definitely wasn't teleporting when he got hit by that cannonball. And sometimes Quelana doesn't show up in Blight Town when she's supposed to, even if you've met *all* the requirements. And in my case, she showed up in Blight Town and I was able to converse with her normally *without* meeting the requirements. It could be a bug, of course, but if those things are bugs, I'm glad they haven't been patched.

Edited by Rennn

Infamous 1 and 2 for Ps3 if you like the parkour thing. absolutely loved those games.

then there is Prototype.

I played and finished Prototype, and I liked it. The main problem I had with it was that the side "missions" were utterly pointless, so that really limits replayability for me. I'm not very interested in Prototype 2 though, because making Alex Mercer the antagonist feels like a slap in the face after playing the first game.

Infamous 1 was fun for the short time I played it, now that you reminded me of it I'll probably go back to it. Like Resistance 3 and Dragon's Dogma, I found out about it around the time when I was upgrading to a gaming PC and it got overlooked.

i loved and platinumed both Infamous 1 and 2.

Dragons Dogma was just meh to me. i got to like level 35 or something. idk how close to the end i was, probably not very close. too much running for me. on top of that, too much running the same exact path over and over. it got boring extremely fast to me. its been a while since ive played it now, but idr character interaction much. your pawns are boring as poo. and idr there being any other characters in the game besides vendors and the occasional quest giver, even the Arisen is forgettable. but that could just be me forgetting, or not getting to the point with memorable characters....i still have the game, because i think its worth going back to, but i wouldnt have bought it at $60 like i did. $40 max is what i consider this game at. a Great new IP for sure, but was a miss for me. again though, ill go back to it im sure.

i still dont think DS has greatstory telling and i love video game lore, if will read endlessly any lore i can find for a game im playing, i watched hours and hours of epicnamebro, read both wikis and i still dont see how DS has the greatest story telling. its story telling is as good as the halo original trilogy (not a good thing it was VERY vague to understand what the hell was really going on you had the read the books). DS lore is way too much interpretation its pretty much 20-30% lore and the rest is all interpretation. unlike others who view this as DS hiding or trying to tell some greater mystery where everything is connected and fits together i simple think its written like that for the hell of it!

if you want a game with a good story play spec ops: the line, its the Apocalypse Now of video games, the way it flips around the very idea of shooter games is amazing. in shooters the enjoyment comes from killing specs ops turn it around to the point you dont want to kill or hurt people you just wanna stop. the lead writer said one of the endings for the game is after certain point in the game you stop playing because you dont want to kill anymore. i was very tempted to stop playing at that point in the game, i felt i would only cause more harm going forward. yet i did to see how it would end. it is after this point that certain events in the game that happen after are up for interpretation and the game starts messing with your head about morality and the choices or lack of choice you had.

spec ops was a risky game, many say its not even a game you're supposed to enjoy. the game, for me was uncomfortable to play, you choose between bad and worse choices. its short and can be passed in an afternoon but the story stays with you much longer.

i still dont think DS has greatstory telling and i love video game lore, if will read endlessly any lore i can find for a game im playing, i watched hours and hours of epicnamebro, read both wikis and i still dont see how DS has the greatest story telling. its story telling is as good as the halo original trilogy (not a good thing it was VERY vague to understand what the hell was really going on you had the read the books). DS lore is way too much interpretation its pretty much 20-30% lore and the rest is all interpretation. unlike others who view this as DS hiding or trying to tell some greater mystery where everything is connected and fits together i simple think its written like that for the hell of it!

I can understand that, and it may easily be true. Having said that, part of the intrigue (imo) is being unsure where the lore ends and the guessing begins. When I was younger and first getting into gaming (about 8 years old), I played Turok: Evolution. I admit it was quite gory for an 8 year old, but that's beside the point. It didn't have a very cohesive story, and it probably just came down to the developers messing with a classic for the hell of it. I had no idea about that at the time though, so to my 8 year old self it seemed like a very deep story that I just couldn't comprehend. Probably due to that formative experience, I'm always more interested in the secrets a game keeps instead of the lore itself. I read a lot of books, but it's simply boring to me to read the Codex entries in Mass Effect, simply because it's too straightforward and not mysterious enough. So when I play a game like Dark Souls, half of my interest in the story comes from willful suspension of disbelief. I consider the blank spaces in a story more interesting than the story, which is also why I found the story of Zeno Clash haunting, where I consider the story of the Final Fantasy games pure distilled tedium. The ending of Zeno Clash had a huge "wtf?" factor, so it sticks with me and keeps me thinking. I'm going to agree to disagree with you about Dark Souls, because I look at it like a mysterious and pristine blank canvas that'll never be filled. Whether the canvas is 90% blank because the developers didn't care, or because they're master story tellers, it honestly doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.

if you want a game with a good story play spec ops: the line, its the Apocalypse Now of video games, the way it flips around the very idea of shooter games is amazing. in shooters the enjoyment comes from killing specs ops turn it around to the point you dont want to kill or hurt people you just wanna stop. the lead writer said one of the endings for the game is after certain point in the game you stop playing because you dont want to kill anymore. i was very tempted to stop playing at that point in the game, i felt i would only cause more harm going forward. yet i did to see how it would end. it is after this point that certain events in the game that happen after are up for interpretation and the game starts messing with your head about morality and the choices or lack of choice you had.

spec ops was a risky game, many say its not even a game you're supposed to enjoy. the game, for me was uncomfortable to play, you choose between bad and worse choices. its short and can be passed in an afternoon but the story stays with you much longer.

I considered that, but passed it off as a generic shooter akin to the MoH reboot. It looks like I misjudged it... Time to check the cost on Steam, and Youtube for videos.

Edited by Rennn

Dragons Dogma was just meh to me. i got to like level 35 or something. idk how close to the end i was, probably not very close. too much running for me. on top of that, too much running the same exact path over and over. it got boring extremely fast to me. its been a while since ive played it now, but idr character interaction much. your pawns are boring as poo. and idr there being any other characters in the game besides vendors and the occasional quest giver, even the Arisen is forgettable. but that could just be me forgetting, or not getting to the point with memorable characters....i still have the game, because i think its worth going back to, but i wouldnt have bought it at $60 like i did. $40 max is what i consider this game at. a Great new IP for sure, but was a miss for me. again though, ill go back to it im sure.

I felt the same way about Witcher2. I just couldn't get into it.

I haven't gotten the Witcher 2 because I can't force myself to be interested in it. I've heard it's an amazing game. The graphics are great, the reviews are great, it's been on sale. Idk, I just can't get myself interested in it. There's nothing objectively wrong with the Youtube videos, but I'm just not into it for some reason.

Edited by Rennn

I haven't gotten the Witcher 2 because I can't force myself to be interested in it. I've heard it's an amazing game. The graphics are great, the reviews are great, it's been on sale. Idk, I just can't get myself interested in it. There's nothing objectively wrong with the Youtube videos, but I'm just not into it for some reason.

I was actually just the opposite, I watched all that and thought this game is going to be great, and don't get me wrong, it's pretty cool. I actually did enjoy the game for a little bit, but some of the key mechanics of the game grate on my nerves. In particularly, the alchemy and potion prepping. I find the crafting of potions, mixing them together when you drink them, and getting drugged up before a battle, and using different oils for weapons really, rrrrreeeeallllyyyy annoying. The other thing that bothers me is that you do have to do a bit of grinding for some ingredients for certain items. And the repetition is yuk.

[hi guys!!! But dont forget that you're talking about RPGs... that means, one part off computer calculations and another part, the result of your imagination... for example in Skyrim, you have a follower "x" who help you raid on a bandit camp... all bandits falls under your attacks, and you stand before a chest ... their treasury. In this case, you can simulate, with rolling dice (the old school), your influence to your follower "x". Because in reality, he or she can have a temptation to keep all that treasury. A standard dice have 6 sides, if you obtain a score under your follower's temptation, he or she'll attack you!! (with a simple console command)...if he (she) attacks you, and you beat him or her, you can chose to let her or him live and test her loyality again pehaps with bonus +1 for your next "influence" rolling dice and with this new vision of this game, you can have a infinite combinations and deeper and strong characters... (sorry about my english)

10. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

I saw this and since you would prefer PC games, i can't help but recommend the new free to play MMO RaiderZ, it's essentially the Monster Hunter MMO that Capcom won't give anyone outside of Japan. Go on quests, kill monsters, use parts of their bodies to craft weapons/armor, even pick up fallen parts of some enemies and use them to kill said enemy. Not your traditional "auto-attack and spam your action bar" MMO either, every attack requires you to click. ...or press a button on your hotbar, so i guess it's kinda similar, but there's no auto-attack lol