BLOG PIECE: Kickstarter and the mini-revolution

Dark0ne

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This can only be good for my gaming future (and yours, too). Yes, like Robin says, there will be some projects that fail and others that are simple money-scams, but that will hopefully just make people pickier and not derail the entire phenomenon.

I also hope that this development will show the big companies that there is a viable market for games that go beyond the whole "flashy looks and suitable for everyone, even the most casual gamers" approach. Modding is good for everyone. The renaissance for isometric style games with stuff like Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity is fantastic. And now Space Sims, oh my!

I think that Sui Generis looks Great as well, I saw the Kickstarter page for it the other day.

The game play Looks Great, I personally do not mind that style if it is done right and they look like to me that they are doing that Very Well.

The one thing about Sui Generis that really looked great was the Construction Set that they use for that game.

The link to the Kickstarter page is in Dark0ne's post here, on that page there is a video showing them using the set.

It is capable of Real Time Use in game.

That really does not even describe it well, You Really Just Have To Watch The Video.

It is 10 minutes in length, and I think Any Modder that has made mods for the Bethesda Games would give quite a bit to have a Construction Set with that capability, it really is Amazing.

If you can't watch the whole video the World Map construction starts at 4:10, it really is insane the capability they have with it.

But watching the whole video is well worth it, the first part goes into their rag-doll physics and dynamic lighting, which looks Very Good as well.

Thank You Dark0ne, for posting this Blog Piece. :)

I had to look up "Godus" on kickstarter....what is wrong with it? Just wondering. What is the dark side?

I am also wondering why most most programmers/software peeps have dark brown hair, or are bald. No, really, I am serious!

Edit: Oh, and Robin, have you ever considered adding a "summary" paragraph to your blog posts for those of us who are just too lazy to read everything?! lol!

Edited by ringgold99

@ringgold99:

Yeah, Obsidian isn't the type of company where you have to worry about 1 person leaving and tanking the whole thing.

On a side note though, you can't really blame them for leaving for a better job. I just hope they paid back any money they received to the guys that stayed on the project.

unfortunatley this still isn't the promised land I hope for dvelopers, with this developers are still tied to sombody elses demands, what sombody else thinks the game should be, and I don't think fans are any better than publishers, every body screams for something different and original, until you try something different and original, then they b&@*$ about how it's not like this or that other game

and the only projects I've heard of getting major success from this are either developers that are well known or long dead franchises being resurected, unknown properties are still faced with the same pitfalls they've always faced: getting noticed, fans or publishers, theres no difference there, just a different set of games getting all the funding

I want to see a world where game developers have noone to answer to but them selves, and nothing to be true to but the game the're makeing, publishers, fans, modding, investors, money, all of it be damned; ARTISTS IN CONTROL OF THEIR ART AND NOBODY ELSE

until then it's just the same slaves and different masters