Smoke A Pipe

Sylvanicus

As I was browsing the Nexus today it occurred to me, I've never seen a mod where the player can smoke a pipe. I did some searching and nothing came up. I know tobacco was in Oblivion, and skooma pipes were in Morrowind, so it seems logical enough that within the lore people would smoke tobacco. I doubt the custom would be native to Skyrim however, as tobacco doesn't exactly grow that well in permafrost. It could easily have been imported by peoples from a more temperate climate, be it Cyrodiil, Elsweyr, Hammerfell, or even High Rock. As it would have to be imported I don't imagine it would be cheap, but perhaps it would be possible for the player to grow tobacco themselves.

It doesn't seem, to me, to be that difficult of an addition to the right person. I was actually thinking about making this mod myself, but I think it's far beyond my skill level. I did, however, work out the basics of what would need to be done/how it would work.

First, a model for the pipe would have to be created (or otherwise acquired), textured, and converted. Then an animation would have to be created of the player smoking the pipe. Next up, I suppose a bit of scripting would be involved to have smoke appear at the right time during the animation. Theoretically an inhale/exhale sound could be added as well. The tobacco item itself would then have to be created, but its actual appearance could simply be borrowed from another plant already in-game. Then it'd be a simple matter of scripting the tobacco to cause the character to play the animation when the item is consumed.

Some additional thoughts I had would be that for one, the tobacco could not only be grown by the player, but would perhaps also be an alchemical ingredient. I would also say that when the animation plays, it should force the player into a 3rd person "free look" kind of view and last for a while, not just be one puff and then stop. There could be numerous types of tobacco, each with its own varying properties. When consumed, I had thought it should convey some somewhat longlasting buffs on the player, though they be minor. I also thought that each time it is consumed it either A) Reduces the player's stamina for a time or B) Permanently decreases the player's stamina by about 0.1 points. I figure that's fair enough to remain realistic but not ruin the game. It would take smoking 100 times to just knock 10 points off the player's stamina which can easily be regained any number of ways.

Obviously I'm pretty full of ideas. If someone were to be inspired enough by this to do it, or something similar, I'd be more than happy to help out however I can. How helpful I can be might be limited, though, as I'm only really experienced with the CK and not much else.

A very interesting idea with the pipe, perhaps much work to get it done, and needs FNIS in the end? i have a suggestion to how it can look, i would love for it to be like

this one, well in the end there could be many diffrent pipes, one to suite the taste of many! but this would be my favorit if im not to bold to suggest it :happy:

http://forumbilder.se/images/e2272012757408fc0.jpg

havent found any in Terms of Service for not being allowed to post this cind of picture, :ohdear:

not sure if credit is needed either, but it's from the game "Tera Online" - Fraya Allemantheia Commander

oooh good taste in pipes!

also thanks to dudeman for reminding me of that mod :D

might have to talk to the mod authors and get some permissions so i can make a tobacco flavoured version/lore friendl version :).....if i do ill keep u posted :D...although im not skilled enough to do everthing required so it'll probabl take awhile :P

no promises tho

Edited by tredmillion

Thanks mate :woot: Yeah think it would be an awsome mod, sweet with even more roleplay things added, to bad i aint any of use in mod creating, would have loved to have helpt, i can only give some pointers of how i myself would like it to look, and perhaps a suggestion that there is not to much smoke from it?

Hope tho that the stamina effects are a minimum, at most a cast over time spell from it, like less stamina regen for some minutes after it, i want al the fun of it and minimum downsides, think it looses some point otherwise with al the creation huers it will be needed to make it work, if so 2 versions of it to suit everyones taste.

Those are my suggestions to it :thumbsup:

oooh good taste in pipes!

also thanks to dudeman for reminding me of that mod :D

might have to talk to the mod authors and get some permissions so i can make a tobacco flavoured version/lore friendl version :).....if i do ill keep u posted :D...although im not skilled enough to do everthing required so it'll probabl take awhile :P

no promises tho

That was very cool, seems to work like wonders, no problems with diffrent pipes either, just a placement issiue, though it was abit to much smoke for my taste, but thats a smal thing, thanks for showing mate :thumbsup:

There is a Mod for Oblivion that is pretty similar to your Idea. http://oblivion.nexu....com/mods/11892

I would love to see something in Skyrim.