ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Is Skyrim ever to be smooth sailing?

stormfrog

This might seem as a whine thread. But actually I just wonder if I am the only one thinking this? I actually really like the game, that I try to play Skyrim again and again despise its flaws is a merit to that if nothing else.

Anyone else find this familiar?

1. Install Skyrim: "Game looks like s***. Game mechanics and gameplay is rotten to the bone. Game is so specked with bugs you start wondering whatever the real game is actually about learning to avoid broken quests/NPCs and whatnot."
  2. Solution: "Hey there is Nexus and a huuuge amazing gaming community with nice people making awesome mods that will fix the game and give it some real gameplay value! *install mods*" - after some time you realize that the game starts crashing even as much as Vanilla because of conflicting mods. And since its impossible to find out which of your ~80 mods is conflict there really is no solution to the problem (No, I wont remove all mods and then add them back one by one that would take FOREVER). Just imagine 80 mods, and you should test run each mod atlaest 30 minutes. Thats 40 friggin hours of gametime!

Everytime I pick up Skyrim again thinking "Maybe this time they've patched it up good!?" I get brutally shot down. You would figure that a game company that releases unfinished games and then leave it up to the gaming community to finish it the least they could do is to provide a well thought out modding framework with conflict protection and a quality Editor Tool. Instead they have NO framework whatsoever leaving it completely open to make mods that might or might not crash your game. And instead they provide a game editor thats so unstable and unreliable not even their mothers would approve its release.

So, am I completely alone in this hate-love relation to this crap-awesome game? Will it ever be stable and w/o hiccups?

No, you're not alone. I've had Skyrim since it's release...600+ hours logged and probably half that amount offline and I've yet to play past lvl 20 for the same reason. Either an official patch will completely bork my saves or updating my mods will. Just happened again actually. Now all the NPC's just stand in the road where they spawn and won't move unless attacked. The game has always run like crap for me also - my vid card is good but my cpu sucks so I'm limited on what can be done about it.

I spend more time trying to fix Bethesda games than I actually do playing them.

It's pretty much a given that if a version update comes out your game will break. Meh, I deal with it.

I'm mostly annoyed at mods that do X, but also do a bit of Y and Z, thus rendering them conflicting with the other mods which I'd spent hours reading descriptions, readmes, and forum threads to make sure I know exactly what I'm getting into. E.g. if you want to mod the perk trees, then change the perk trees but make your goddamn armor fixes in a separate module/mod.

And FFS please update your descriptions, I've lost count of the number of mods that looked fine upon casual inspection, but when you read the thread you find gems such as "ok, I discovered it conflicts with X, I'll update sometime", "there's a CTD-causing bug in the latest version, use an earlier one", and let's not forget "I don't have Dawnguard, someone else please make an updated mod because I don't play Skyrim anymore".

Edited by Trucidation

I'm mostly annoyed at mods that do X, but also do a bit of Y and Z, thus rendering them conflicting with the other mods which I'd spent hours reading descriptions, readmes, and forum threads to make sure I know exactly what I'm getting into. E.g. if you want to mod the perk trees, then change the perk trees but make your goddamn armor fixes in a separate module/mod.

Haha, yeah. I still have to track down whichever mod is causing the guards to comment 'that is one BIG hammer' right from the start of the game. At this point I think I'm going to just have to minimize the number of mods, keeping only the absolute essentials.

DUDE. I am getting that too (wielding a 2-handed battleaxe), and the only extra gear mod I'm running is Immersive Armors. Also can't figure out why all the dragon-type armors show up with zero armor rating in the smithing screen, and zero armor rating when I actually smith them. It's driving me nuts.

If it turns out that "Roosters crow at dawn" mod is responsible, I'll eat my socks.

Whats your boss load order and PC specs? And make sure you use tesV to clean what mods it says to clean.

Actually I havent used tesV, I didnt know it existed! Ill look into that, thanks for the advice!

My load order:

Skyrim
Update
Dawnguard
Hearthfires
ApachiiHair
APachiiHairFemales
EagleEyePerk
SkymoMod
Better Dynamic Snow
Birdsofskyrim
hqsnow
Skyrim Flora Overhaul
Rainbows
skyBirds - Airborne Perching Birds
WATER
HavenBag
LiFE
BloodWitchArmor
MinaArmors
EMCompViljaSkyrim
UFO - Ultimate FOllower Overhaul
UFO - Dawnguard update
Convenient Horses
DungeonQuestAwareness
TemptressVixen
ABT - Bolts Renamed for BS and CCO
ABT - Fast Arrows Improved +100%
ABT - Fast Bolts Improved +100%
ABT - Loot Arrows +25%
ABT - Merchant Arrows +25%
ABT - Progressive Damage (BS and CCO)
ABT - Recover +50% Arrows and Bolts
Cloaks
The Dance of Death
Extended eye colours
RichMerchants
SkyrimURWL
Facelight
Extended Slider Colors
LustMordVampireArmor
Nouserhere Ears
skymo-dawn
Hell Sword
RiverwoodEnhancedPlugin
Artifact Disenchanting
Enchanting Freedom
quest into the depths
Soul Eater The Enchantment Removing Chest
AlynShirArmors
TERAArmors
Tera Val Tirkai - UNPB BBP

BOSS isn't foolproof though & actually made things worse for me at one time.....noticing that it simply puts most mods in alphabetical order. (not all but most)

DUDE. I am getting that too (wielding a 2-handed battleaxe), and the only extra gear mod I'm running is Immersive Armors.

I've disabled all mods except random start and will enable one by one until I find the ones responsible for the guard commenting on the hammer I don't have (immersive armors? maybe cause i have it too) & NPC's not walking the roads.

I will post what I find.

EDIT: "player headtracking" seemed to lag the game more - "dovahkin relaxes too" seemed to cause NPC's to start wandering off the roads and other odd behavior. Never did find what was causing the guards hammer comments and I made sure to run around as many guards as possible. Deactivating & reactivating all the mods one by one seemed to clear it up somehow.

Edited by smokeringhalo