Starting Over From Scratch

OreoWorld

Alright, so I tried to install some mods for Oblivion, but I clearly do NOT have the experience required to install and run these mods correctly. I've sort of screwed up my game to the point of unplayability. I've decided that I would delete all Oblivion data from my PC, and start over from nothing. This time, however, I'm asking for help. Is there any kind soul willing to talk me through the mod installation processes over Skype? I'm terrible about following written instruction, as every PC is slightly different. Just PM me or email me at [email protected] if you are willing to help.

No to skype - it doesn't like my audio card and locks up my computer.

This fixes almost every problem I have seen with uninstalling/reinstalling - I have thousands of satisfied customers (Yes really)

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the WIKI section of the Nexus

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Oblivion_reinstall_procedure

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

While that guide is helpful, my problem is that I don't know how to install a mod in the first place. My game was screwed because I most likely installed most of my mods incorrectly. It seems like there are many different ways you need to install each mod, and it seemed like almost EVERY mod I came across required a new method or program for installation. I'm never quite sure if I'm installing a mod correctly, especially since most read-me files reference programs or methods through confusing acronyms. On top of ALL that, even when I believe I have the correct program for the mod, and have installed it correctly, it still doesn't work. I probably I just suck at this, but this whole mod thing is really not newb-friendly.

Don't worry, all but perhaps the most super savvy of us felt overwhelmed when we first started to mod the game (and by that I mean add mods to the game, because once you get the itch to make your own mods a whole new world unfolds). It's like learning anything new on-line ... the experts use acronyms because they know what it means (and it's much easier to type). I'm kind of old school. When I use an acronym it's always first presented by full name followed by acronym in brackets. Never be afraid of asking for more details either, even though I tend to give lots of details.

First thing to get out of the way are some basics of modding the game. The game is very specific about where certain things are located folder or directory wise. If you open Windows Explorer and look at the folder structure of the game you'll see an 'Oblivion' folder that has a subfolder 'Data'. Initially the Data folder doesn't have much in it in the way of subfolders. That's because the game keeps most of the vanilla (original) assets such as meshes and textures in compressed archives called BSA files (think of zip or 7z compressed archives and you'll be very close).

When mods add new things to the game they are really just recording changes that need to be made to the vanilla game. The vanilla game stores it's original state in ESM files (example Oblivion.esm found in your game's Data folder). The ESM or master file has all the instructions for changing the initial game state (character generation, getting the emperor and his guards into your cell etc.). When you save, you're recording changes to that initial state that are saved in ESS files. The changes that a mod needs to record are in ESP files (though there are certain types of mods that don't require an esp as they just replace vanilla assets with for example new meshes or textures, more on them later). So a basic mod will have an esp and possibly some meshes and textures (and perhaps more, voice files for example). The game requires that the esp be located in Oblivion\Data. If the mod includes meshes and textures they will be located in Oblivion\Data\meshes and Oblivion\Data\Textures.

I've presented those basic concepts first because something that Microsoft introduced a long time after this game was released can interfere. The security feature called User Account Control (UAC) was introduced with the Vista operating system. It protects certain folders on your computer from unauthorized changes. One of those folders is C:\Program Files (and the 64 bit equivalent C:\Program Files (x86) more commonly found in Windows 7). Unfortunately the installer for Oblivion defaults to installing in C:\Program Files. UAC doesn't interfere in the vanilla unmodded game, but when it notices changes being made other than those made by the original game esm and esp files it steps in and 'protects' you.

You'll see that the wiki article Bben46 linked you has specific instructions about getting the game installed outside of Program Files. If you are using the Steam version of the game don't miss the link near the top of the page about moving your Steam install location. If you are going to get started you may as well get off on the right foot.

Next I'm going to ask that you give me the names of a few mods that you'd like to get started on. Don't pick big overhauls to start with, and even though you may like to change the default bodies used by the game I'd suggest you cut your teeth on something even more basic. A house or some armor is a good starting point, especially the armor as it will certainly have meshes and textures.

To get yourself into position for installing mods and testing your handiwork I suggest you create a character and go through the tutorial dungeon before adding any mods. Just before you exit the tutorial dungeon (at the point where you can see the sewer exit in the distance) make a save. This save will enable you to create a new character without needing to redo the entire tutorial again as before you get to the exit the game pops up the character finalization menus. After you exit the sewer make another save, but don't overwrite your before the sewer exit save (in fact get in the habit of never overwriting saves).

A further note on saving. Don't use quicksave, it's a known corrupter of save files. Use the save option off the Esc menu (there is another option for named saves that we can address later as well). Some basic details on your computer will help too (laptop or desktop, CPU and amount of RAM and whether or not you have a separate graphics card or onboard graphics).

Edited by Striker879