Is there a solution to the frame rate issues?

Blaze340

Is your version bak to an older one now or a totally new skyrim from steam and updated now?

how big is your saves, perhaps you have a save bloat, if the latest save is bigger then 40mb you get in trouble,

probably not the cause as you dident have loads of mods, but the options are realy running out here :pinch:

The size of my saves range from 3MB to 3.15MB. No where near 40MB....

Actually, my first saves reach 18MB. But all my newer saves are below 4MB. Both quick and auto saves are under 4MB...

Oh and the Skyrim I was using WAS practically a fresh install since I reinstalled Skyrim earlier this week. It was updated before I started playing though...

Edited by Blaze340

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have Maximum pre-rendered frames set to a low amount in nVidia Control Panel or anywhere else? It is commonly changed to 1 in an attempt to fix mouse lag. But I find it is not necessary, it doesnt help mouse lag as much as just bMouseAcceleration=0 does. And low pre-rendered frames reduces performance, so more stutter.

Also, enable vsync in the ini file, iPresentInterval=1. Leave the vsync settings alone in nVidia Control Panel. Animals will flicker like crazy and fly up in the air unless iPresentInterval=0 for me. Setting either Adaptive and normal Vsync in nVidia Control Panel messes up Skyrim's graphics and physics for me.

The only setting I change in Skyrim preferences of nVidia Control Panel is Power Management Mode - Prefer maximum performance.

I just changed my ini with the tweaks mentioned about allocated memory and exteriorcellbuffer - thanks for that!

My specs: I have a GTX 680 and i7 950 overclocked to 3.5ghz. Only 6GB ram.

UPDATE: The uExterior Cell Buffer=72 tweak seems to reintroduce the animal stutter/flying glitch. To correct the problem, I had to set it back to default (36), then loaded the area again with fast travel.

UPDATE 2: Ugh, problem is still there. Must be some other reason for it. Argh.

UPDATE 3: I managed to eliminate the stuttering/jumping/falling creature issue, and have a pretty good framerate, even when there is lots of action on the screen. I generated a new Skyrim and SkyrimPrefs file and used Skyrim Configurator to make some changes to things various. I decreased shadow detail a lot. I left vsync on from the start and am using all default settings for nVidia Control Panel. The mouse is a little laggy, but its not much of an issue. I still get some microstutter but that might have something to do with the mods I use, that greatly increase amount of NPCs on screen. Also I applied the tweaks for memory allocation and exteriorcellbuffer that Shadiva mentioned. Hopefully microstutter can be eliminated next.

Edited by zyg0tic

At this link there is one that had the same problem as you, but he had a Duelcore as the problem if i read that thread right but still some nice pointers in it,

http://www.tomshardw...es-help#t709145

Try out this software if you have the 1.8.151.0 version of skyrim, it is optimised for that version only, but check in archives to get older versions

Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE)

http://skse.silverlock.org/

Sry for taking so long to reply. Sort of playing Skyrim seeing if SKSE works, left take my bike to get a tune-up, come back to play a little more before getting off again to watch my NBA basketball team play....

SKSE didn't work for me. So I attempted to play the game in windowed mode (How I used to originally play the game when I first started playing it) which was doing ok for 30 minutes or so before the FPS dropped to 10-15 when I started fast traveling around and entering in and out of houses. I also got remind why I hate using window mode. For some odd reason, even though the mouse arrow back on Windows desktop is no where to be seen (Usually disappears when Skyrim starts up), it seems to still continue to move very slightly and ends up hanging over that "Peek over desktop/show desktop" button next to the time/date and notification icons. This causes the desktop to be shown while the game is still going....

I have a quadcore processor, but I still followed some of the tips. While in Windowed mode, I was able to see my All CPU Meter and I notice that it really never uses all of the power of my CPU even when the frame rate drops to 10-15. And I still have plenty of memory to spare so I know RAM is not the problem...

Edited by Blaze340

Even try this one, look inside your PC tower, and see how the cables are drawn so they dont touch anything of serius hardware

In this thread he got problems with low FPS due to he's cables was touching the GPU

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/117808-25-strange-skyrim-issues

"I fixed the issue, apparently it was power cables running from the PSU touching the GPU thus creating

electrical impact on the GPU, this caused the memory clock to malfunction."

I'm.....not sure that should be the problem since every game I play (Sleeping dogs, Mass Effect 3, Borderlands 2, etc.) would also be affected if that were the case lol. But I'm pretty sure there are no wires touching my GPU. I made sure when I custom built me desktop that all wire don't touch anything...

Edited by Blaze340

The problem seems to be associated with fast travel - do you have save on fast travel disabled? If not, try that. It could be a save issue - possibly a bloated save? Look at the size of your saves to see how much they increase each save. My save files seem to jump up and down less than 50k , sometimes dropping sometimes increasing, but gradually trending higher - now at save#1236 and 15,518K.. Save#2 was 3,194K. I would expect some increase with each mod added, and over time.

"I fixed the issue, apparently it was power cables running from the PSU touching the GPU thus creating

electrical impact on the GPU, this caused the memory clock to malfunction."

I find it strange that this only affected FPS in the exterior cells. :ermm: But, I do have a real world very similar experience with an industrial machine - where moving a small cable 6 inches fixed an ongoing problem with that machine - and it wasn't even touching anything. It was moved to get it out of the way, not because we thought it was causing the problem. :psyduck:

People tend to assume that all computers run the game the same - That's not quite right. Even with the exact same hardware you will start to see differences as soon as you start to add other programs. That makes each computer unique. Everyone has a different set of background programs and services running. Some of these will cause more problems than others. The hard part is figuring out which background programs and services can be terminated on your particular setup.A lot of this is covered in my blog.

Here is a link to my troubleshooting blog.

http://s1.zetaboards.../4751769/1/#new

This is updated often so come back later for more.

If you use any of this and have some success - or even if nothing works - please post back here what you did that worked or didn't work. That kind of information can be invaluable to other members having the same or similar problems - And to me in fixing any problems in the blog.

Well, looks like my save have increased in size. They are now consistently18.3 MB. I wonder if using performance enhancement mods/patches was the reason they suddenly increased in size....

Found this on a forum that perahps might help some for you, as it is a very strange problem i post anything that might help you,

remember to bakup anything you change here,

hopes this help

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurkeyStyle

This is for OpenMindedWorld:

You should add this to the tweak list, as it's been helping a lot of us with beefy systems but poor performance. It sets custom memory allocation values. I've gained about 10fps in towns where they used to drop as low as 15fps. It's now playable. These lines need to be added to the Skyrim.ini file in the [Papyrus] section:

[Papyrus]

iMinMemoryPageSize=100000

iMaxMemoryPageSize=5000000

iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=1800000000

Seriously, this helped more than any custom Skyrimprefs.ini or d3d9.dll ever did. Also, like in Oblivion and Fallout 3/NV, if you change the Skyrim.ini variable uExterior Cell Buffer to a 2x multiple higher than the default (36), you get better draw distance as far as detailed objects/terrain goes. I have it set to 72, and it worked at 144.

was:

uExterior Cell Buffer=36

now:

uExterior Cell Buffer=72

This has very little FPS hit on my GTX470. Something to maybe add too, but the memory allocation was a massive improvement.

Ummm...where is the Skyrim.ini file? Only place I see a [Papyrus] is inside Skyrim_default file...

Think it should be in the Library/document/My Games/skyrim/Skyrim.ini should be a Skyrimprefs and Renderinfo there too but put it only inside the Skyrim.ini (Skyrim)

have been so long sins i touched that file, but should be it

or add it in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim Skyrim_default

trail and error i suppose :biggrin: just copy it first for bakup, then there is no problem with any failures, :thumbsup:

remember to add it below [Papyrus]

perhaps try the console command

"teofis"

Toggle End-Of-Frame ImageSpace, Disables blur, contrast adjustment, and a few other things. Will give a huge framerate boost on "weak" video cards, at the expense of some prettiness.

perhaps will fix some of the heavy drops of FPS to alittle less :thumbsup:

Try adding this to SkyrimPrefs.ini - which is found in My Documents > My Games > Skyrim

[backgroundLoad]

bSelectivePurgeUnusedOnFastTravel=1

You can also download a program called Skyrim Configurator and it is one of the tickbox options in the Models/World General tab.