Joining the Dark Brotherhood

Parmgrin

I've completed the quest given to me by the Aretino boy and then I received a "Mysterious Note". The next time I went to bed, I woke up in some bloody shack with that woman standing over me. And she asked me to eliminate one of the three captives. I heard I can also kill her, but then I will have to destroy the Dark Brotherhood. I do not really support the idea of becoming the bad guy, but I have already joined the Thieves Guild, so...

Anyway, what I'm interested in is what I will get if I join them. I have only heard about getting some really good horse and that I will have to kill the "Emperor"... Who in Oblivion is he?... MOST IMPORTANTLY, I'm going to become an assassin and I suppose I will have to kill a lot of people. Will that interrupt with my further game experience? Am I to kill people that could give me quests otherwise?

Edited by Parmgrin

Joining them doesn't break the game so far :whistling:

Though you will get to kill some people you could come in contact already.

Not entirely sure if all of them are quest related...some of them yes though.

I started out one play through by joining the DB. My plan was to go through the evil-redemption thing. I was able to complete all of the main quest with no problems. The DB and Thieves Guild are very compatible. Although you shouldn't have to miss any major quests due to the DB, you may find (as I did) that you are asked to kill a minor character you have some affection for. Unlike the TG radiant quests, there is no option to quit a job you are assigned. (Except going to a previous save and hoping to get a different assignment) For me, that caused me to abandon them, with a couple of unfinished quests sticking around til I started a new game.