Computer upgrade question.

@pullthepin07

id get a PSU thats also suitable for my CPU that one in your final link is for intels according to its spec and if i read right your mobo is a AMD FM2 socket ? the wattage on the socket is way higher for an AMD than an Intel based machine.

the PSU has no idea what its powering. AMD, Intel, etc. its just a marketing thing.

youll be fine mate

however i would have gone with the Corsair PSU instead. or Seasonic. idk XFX products, but Corsair and Seasonic are among the best for PSUs. if maybe a bit more expensive. at the very least the Corsair PSU you linked to was 80 Plus Certified. which just means its slightly more efficient (which can help your wallet from your Electric Bill in the long run). ive heard good things from XFX i think. but when i recommend a PSU i recommend Corsair or Seasonic (I Personally have a Seasonic in my Rig)

Edited by hoofhearted4

@pullthepin07

id get a PSU thats also suitable for my CPU that one in your final link is for intels according to its spec and if i read right your mobo is a AMD FM2 socket ? the wattage on the socket is way higher for an AMD than an Intel based machine.

the PSU has no idea what its powering. AMD, Intel, etc. its just a marketing thing.

yeah thats right all electricty is exactly the same no fluxuation or change in frequency why do you suppose oscilloscopes were invented ,and given the fact there is no difference in the price of equilivalent AMD/Intel psu im more inclined to beleive what i was taught in college than your "just a marketing thing" that and my own experience of customers saying " it worked well enough for the first 6 months until i ...."

@pullthepin07

yeah thats right all electricty is exactly the same no fluxuation or change in frequency why do you suppose oscilloscopes were invented ,and given the fact there is no difference in the price of equilivalent AMD/Intel psu im more inclined to beleive what i was taught in college than your "just a marketing thing" that and my own experience of customers saying " it worked well enough for the first 6 months until i ...."

All motherboards use the same standards, the board is powered by a 4 or 8 pin cpu connctor and a 24 pin main power connection.

The voltages are fixed DC, all psu's can handle both intel and amd boards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

ah wonderful more info from an open sourced web-tionary it never ceases to amaze me how quick people are to believe something they read on the net ,iv seen this page before the info there greatly conflicts with a simple hands on test go try it for yourself before linking wiki

Well, this here isn't a full-on serious hardware forum like overclock.net, and an argument here could get more heated than it should be... You could try arguing what you believe the difference to be on one.

Differences between PSU for different sockets existed about 10 years ago and even then most were just down to exact connector layout (12, 20, 24, 4, 6, 8 and combinations). The only serious difference was with Pentium 4, which had unusually high power draw, so the VRM for it was adapted from servers, with 12V feed from a separate line.

That was the only time there was a difference in actual PSU design.

For the last 5+ years 95% of everything is powered from 12V, converted by VRM onboard, and CPU VRM are outright identical, sometimes down to exact part numbers.