Fallout 3 small things

KinDzaDza

One detail I love is the fact that you can see the sunlight coming in through the windows from outside - one of my favourite experiences was hiding from some super-mutants in a house in the middle of DC... I slept there overnight, hoping that the mutants would leave. In the morning the sun was pouring in through the cracks in the boarded-up windows, and when I got outside the mutants were gone. It was almost like a film scene.

I also like the little mini-quests strewn throughout the game. They don't turn up in your quest log, and can easily be overlooked, but they add real depth to the world. Stuff like

helping the BoS find a missing initiate in DC

, or

trying to alter the vote in the Republic of Dave

. Many of them you'll never find, but the ones you do find help to define your character in a much better way.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I had one of those "who the vulk is shooting at me" moments. I was skipping through the wasteland, minding my own business, looking for the things to kill and steal, stopped by some junk to watch the Sun go down the hill. Nice and cozy, all is missing is some milk and +20/rads per second cookies. I was offered cookies made from the strange looking meat some time past, I let my feelings about this issue loose with the baseball bat. So, so far so good, from this moment on I was immersed in total chaos for quiet some time, I wished I was a two headed cow. I've got a bear looking son of a female dog charging my 12 o'clock full throttle clip after clip, got someone from behind feeding me lead from the barking assault rifle, and the crazy idiot doing his "Braveheart" thing with what looks like a kitchen knife through the frag grenade explosions. Marvelous.

Got an idea for a mod. Not my idea really, I'll just copy and paste, all credit goes to the author of the copied and pasted article (whomever he or she is). I got this sitting on my HD for some time now, just like some collect scary ass porcelain dolls I collect amusing poo, and store it. We can now find a proper use for the fusion battery and the suitcase.

1. First, obtain about 50 pounds (110 kg) of weapons grade Plutonium at your local supplier (see NOTES). A nuclear power plant is not recommended, as large quantities of missing Plutonium tends to make plant engineers unhappy. We suggest that you contact your local terrorist organization or that ACME company where Wile E. Coyote shops.

2. Please remember that Plutonium, especially pure, refined Plutonium, is somewhat dangerous. Wash your hands with soap and warm water after handling the material, and don't allow your children or pets to play in it or eat it. Any left over Plutonium dust can be used as an excellent hair remover. You may wish to keep the substance in a lead box if you can find one in your local junkyard, but an old coffee can will do nicely.

3. Fashion together a metal enclosure to house the device. Most common varieties of sheet metal can be bent to disguise this enclosure as, for example, a briefcase, a lunch pail, or a Buick. Do not use tinfoil.

4. Arrange the Plutonium into two hemispherical shapes, separated by about 4 cm. Use rubber cement to hold the Plutonium dust together.

5. Now get about 100 pounds (220 kg) of trinitrotoluene (TNT). Gelignite is much better, but messier to work with. Your helpful hardware man will be happy to provide you with this item.

6. Pack the TNT around the hemisphere arrangement constructed in step

7. If you cannot find Gelignite, feel free to use TNT packed in with Playdo or any modeling clay. Colored clay is acceptable, but there is no need to get fancy at this point.

8. Enclose the structure from step 6 into the enclosure made in step 3.

9. Use a strong glue such as "Crazy Glue" to bind the hemisphere arrangement against the enclosure to prevent accidental detonation which might result from vibration or mishandling.

10. To detonate the device, obtain a radio controlled (RC) servomechanism, as found in RC model airplanes and cars. With a modicum of effort, a remote plunger can be made that will strike a detonator cap to effect a small explosion. These detonator caps can be found in the electrical supply section of your local supermarket or in specially marked boxes of Trix. We recommend the "Blast-O-Matic" brand because they are no deposit-no return.

11. Now hide the completed device from the neighbors and children. The garage is not recommended because of high humidity and the extreme range of temperatures experienced there. Nuclear devices have been known to spontaneously detonate in these unstable conditions. The hall closet or under the kitchen sink will be perfectly suitable.

12. You are now the proud owner of a working thermonuclear device! It is a great icebreaker at parties, and in a pinch, can be used for national defense.

War...War never changes :blink:

• 1 month later...

I am still in the Fallout 3 universe, a lot has changed, thanks to the great Fallout 3 modding community. But still, ignorance of the obvious things burns my eyes like the effects of the Sun after spending 30 years in the vault under the 40 watt bulb. Where the #@%^ are elevators, classic Fallout vaults had elevators, Vaults were multilevel, go anywhere, poke anything, kill anyone. Obviously, the rendition of 21st century vault system by Bethesda is a collection of luxury underground apartment complexes. Something from H. G. Wells comes to mind at this point.

P.S. Can't wait for the Anchorage! :blink:

I am a proud PS3 owner and I happened to reserve the survival edition of Fallout 3 and got it the day it came out along with the $50 strategy guide. Now, about the shotguns, I find that the combat shotgun is all I need in that area. I like the design, teaxtures and animations on the combat shotgun. I feel that Bethesda did the Fallout series good with Fallout 3, I find it to be the peak of the Fallout series although it is not yet a classic (but in time it will be a classic). :banana: :nuke:

I think if they'd have spent less time importing culinary wares from Elder Scrolls games, they could have focused more on the story.

Same with limiting voice acting to only integral characters who had something to say.

If they'd have spent more time on dialogue and the long term consequences of your actions, and you, know... actually finishing the game, this would have been an instant classic.

As it is, every playthrough, I feel like something is missing.

Meh. That's what mods are for. :D

Some words from Roadside Picnic come to mind "HAPPINESS FOR EVERYBODY, FREE, AND NO ONE WILL GO AWAY UNSATISFIED!"

On the side note, coin operated fallout shelters are very amusing to open and to close oneself in. The male without a father lied about TV dinners.

Nerd Rage :blink:

I find it more amusing when you open one with dead bodies in it, and they jump (glitch i think) all over the place and fly out of it haha

Even funnier: Opening a coin operated fallout shelter and finding a dead protectron inside! Do even robots fear nuclear destruction?

Some words from Roadside Picnic come to mind "HAPPINESS FOR EVERYBODY, FREE, AND NO ONE WILL GO AWAY UNSATISFIED!"

On the side note, coin operated fallout shelters are very amusing to open and to close oneself in. The male without a father lied about TV dinners.

Nerd Rage :blink:

I find it more amusing when you open one with dead bodies in it, and they jump (glitch i think) all over the place and fly out of it haha

The main problem I have with it is you cant get the freaking ammo or whatever goodies that are inside it without opening and closing the damned thing over and over. Thats just a pain.

I think if they'd have spent less time importing culinary wares from Elder Scrolls games, they could have focused more on the story.

Same with limiting voice acting to only integral characters who had something to say.

If they'd have spent more time on dialogue and the long term consequences of your actions, and you, know... actually finishing the game, this would have been an instant classic.

As it is, every playthrough, I feel like something is missing.

Meh. That's what mods are for. :D

On that note, let me add the amount of voice acting is a pet peeve of mine. In the first (good) games, there were few voices, and little to no actor repeats. In this one, MOST of the Ghouls sound the same and almost all of the Raiders! It feels like there is one gang or raiders that just wont stay dead, and I keep having to fight them over and over.

If you look around, you are bound to find cars which are powered by a nuclear energy, the mushroom cloud and the radiation poisoning tends to give that one away. Why do you need gas stations when you can go to your local grocery store and get yourself a Uranium stick, maybe Plutonium? If I remember correctly, the oil shortage was the cause of the war and I don't think anyone had the desire or time to develop and produce a nuclear powered family sedan.

Could it be that these cars are in fact petroleum-powered? If I remember correctly, any explosive device can be used to deliver radiation, due to the fact that the explosion actually just spreads the radioactive isotopes. Although the problem with this statement is when you think of half life. Surely concentrations of minute amount of radioactive particles have been depleted over the years, thus speaking for the nuclear-powered -hypothesis. My chief argument is, however, that Bethesda itself said that its game is not some much as realistic as it is *realistic!*

Thank you

On that note, let me add the amount of voice acting is a pet peeve of mine. In the first (good) games, there were few voices, and little to no actor repeats. In this one, MOST of the Ghouls sound the same and almost all of the Raiders! It feels like there is one gang or raiders that just wont stay dead, and I keep having to fight them over and over.

Krusty the Klown!

haha

Yeah, more variety in voice acting would have been nice.

I'm deaf though.

I mean, I can hear... Very very VERY loud noises... hahaha So I guess text only is a bias o' mine.

I have to say, the subtitling was well done.