mod to place multiple markers on the map

alerossi82

One of the things that I really don't like about Oblivion, is the fact you don't have the possibility to place muliple markers on the map at the same time.

I'm speaking about the blue flag you activate with shift+left click, potentially very useful if you want to mark something on the map but practically useless considering you can't place more than one the map, despite the dozens of quests and locations you need to remember.

This really pissed me off, as I'm constantly browsing through the dozens of open quests reported on my log to check if there is something I'm supposed to do in the vicinity of any location I move from/to.

I've long searched for a mod able to fix this problem but I've found nothing - the only similar one, called Multiple Map Markers, allows you to place a marker only on locations where you currently are, but not in a place you are far from.

Therefore, I was considering to start working on a mod like this on my own.

Unfortunatly, I have no modding experience at all and, before starting with this project, I'd like some advice from more experienced users: in particular, if it is possible to create a mod like this (I'm surprised nobody thought of it so far!) and, if so, how to procees (in particular, if there is any tutorial I can refer to).

Even better, if somebody offered to help me I'd be very glad.

Map Marker Overhaul

Hi,

thank you for your answer, unfortunatly the mod you mention it only allows to place new markers on the map on the place where you are: so for example, if I`m in the Imperial City and I receive a quest in a location near Chedynal, I can`t place a new marker in that location coz I`m not there.

This mod is probably useful if you are in a location and want to mark it coz you are planning to come back, but it hardly helps to keep track of all active quests.

If you make any quest that includes quest marker your active quest the red or green quest marker will move to your next target in that quest. Granted that is only for your current quest, but how would you know which marker went with which quest in the system you're proposing?

If you make any quest that includes quest marker your active quest the red or green quest marker will move to your next target in that quest. Granted that is only for your current quest, but how would you know which marker went with which quest in the system you're proposing?

By default, the game gives you the chance to place one single blue flag on the map (I'm not speaking about the red/green ones that appear automatically); I just would like to have the chance to place multiple blue markers on the map, in any point of it and not only at player's position; I could use it to mark all open quests, and to delete them manually once the quest is completed - in fact, it is like if you had a paper map and want to write a note on it.

I think it would be very realistic and you shouldn't go continuosly through your log to check what to do where.

Isn't there any chance to realize something like this?

Edited by alerossi82

I understood that part of it. My point is how would you know which map marker went with which quest/thing you wanted to mark? In the past I have used the single marker. Unless I was using it for the same purpose each time (usually marking the back entrance to Ceyatatar) I wouldn't remember what it was marking. Your wish mod would need a way of attaching a label to the marker as well to have much utility beyond the vanilla game quest markers (the blue marker has no such ability as it sits). I don't know enough about what that would require to comment on doable or not.

I guess I've traveled around and done enough quests that I seldom bother with the map much anymore (well except in Blackwood, where one puddle looks like the next). I don't even need to mark Ceyatatar's back door anymore ... can find on the darkest night.

I think the problem with the confusion arising from multiple markers can be easily solved with the use of labels, as suggested by yourself.

Consider the multiple markers have already been introduced by the Map Marker Overhaul you recommend; in fact, this mod already gives you the chance to put more flags at the same time, but unfortunatly only at player`s position, whereas I would like to have the chance to place them in any point of the map (actaully, I`m surprised the auhtor didn`t introduce this feature).

Do you think it is possible to do that?

I'm afraid the 'how to' part of that is way above my pay grade (I'm better at having 'ideas' than accomplishing much beyond the basic stuff in the CS). Nephenee13 provided the link to Map Marker Overhaul ... I myself would be unlikely to use the proposed mod as, like I said, I seldom refer to the map to find a location I've previously been. Mostly I bring up the quest journal and make whichever quest I decide to work on my current (but that's only if I want to use the quest pointer ... usually my current quest is Companion Vilja, so the quest pointer helps me find where she's hiding).

In theory (at least from my limited knowledge point of view) it should be a matter of duplicating what the vanilla marker does times 10 or whatever plus adding the marker label system. You could try posting the idea in Oblivion Mod Requests and perhaps link back to this discussion in your post there.