⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

A request for help: I'm out of ideas to fix my CTD's!

OJLMethos

One bit I'm still a bit stuck on the whole concept of have a totally, utterly, non-negotiable, fixed, permanent load order established before I have even started the Conflict resolution stuff...Simple truth is no one could with a large LO. That is why if you build your LO as I explained "I thought" was intended with the method you will definitely be redoing a lot of groups. With you having an already established LO once you are done making LOOT happy, hit sort, and apply, it is done. See LOOT works from a master list that has a preset arrangement for mods on its list. This is why it lacks "intuition" for CR. Mods are added by the hundreds every week and it is impossible to keep a completely updated list. Therefore once LOOT makes your LO to its arrangement you are done because you already have all your mods.

This is why I stopped myself from adding more mods before I finished my CR on what I have. When I learned what had to be done and why, and lets not forget I could not find another way to guarantee ending up with the most stability possible, I knew it was going to take days to weeks to do. Once my CR is done on my LO I plan to round it out with some other mods I want and then yes it will be the steps you outlined above with using LOOT each time I add one.

I do not know your history with these tools but it was not long ago xedit did not have the QAC. When that was first added it threw modders all over the place. For the longest time they picked a mod to clean and would have to run three or more processes on it through xedit and each time after having to close xedit, reopen, re-select the mod again.

So now we can go into explaining this......

add 1 mod to my load order

run QCFC

Select 2 mods > create modgroup > name it > assign it to mod > apply it, along with my other modgroups

and.... nothing happens.

I refresh conflict filter.... nothing happens

I close xEdit and load it back up - no conflicts are reported - so it worked (I think... but do I really need to close xEdit every time... can't I just refresh somehow?) With the current state of xedit, no. One needs to keep in mind these tools are FREE and worked on when the people have the time available of which funding helps. One cannot expect a free tool, not to mention one sooooo complex, to work like an out of the box software bought at Best Buy or something. Seeing mention of how the cleaning process worked for years and I know you had to use that on the game dlcs at least, it has came a heck of ways huh.

To finish off that bit no to see the results you must close and reopen xedit. Another reason I mentioned to you it was so daunting and boring. You can stay within xedit working by using those filters and options but to see the final result it has to be closed. So in mods with lots of records to review, like ELFX, after making a few groups, and patches if needed before the group, I will close and rerun QCFC just to reduce the records showing conflicts. Then start picking away at the same mod again.

Some you open will have hundreds of records to review and closing and rerunning QCFC reduces the amount to go through. Also it is much faster to use the arrow keys when working in the left pane expanding mods and records to verify than the mouse. You use the right arrow key to expand a record and of course up and down accordingly. Learning that helped me to move through them much faster :)

Keep your chin up and expectations in check because out of all you learned so far, now it is going to get harder. These codes you are getting into require research to make an educated decision and issues are not always resolved by dragging and dropping cells into a patch like most videos show. Scripts can get tricky and sometimes requires merging of the actual files themselves or removing entries or BOTH :(. Just keep pecking away at it and it will get there. Hope that helps clear the view some.

Edited by Indiao21

I forgot about your question on MO2 and the overwrite. I do not know why it happens but I could make 10 mod groups and when xedit closes I might not have any in overwrite or maybe like half what it did. Meaning only 5 show. IDW this happens like this but all you need to do is drag them from overwrite to the mod they belong to in MO2.

Ah my apologies on post #29 - I realise now that all the answers are in the tome and I just hadn't got round to reading it yet! I see the section on "The Method" is pretty extensive so I shall read that fully!

Thanks for all your ongoing help, it has been really useful!

;) You are on it now. As an FYI, I read all the Tome thus far except the two sections on scripting which is on the to-do list as I am finding those now. Even in the FAQ's section you find good info. Rule out nothing as knowledge never hurts :)

OJLMethos, my bad on the two mods to a group being in the Tome. Read so much hard to keep it all straight sometimes. It was taken from Elwaps' guides. On his page just scroll down past the mod description and you will see a section titled The Method. In there he covers The Method, patches, and Groups. I was referred there for a better explanation of the Tome because some was copied from it for the Tome. There you will see it explained about groups and such.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/25093

Edited by Indiao21