This has been bugging me

AnubisRaven

True. However, names like "Elder Dragon" and "Ancient Dragon" still seem to support what Lachdonin was saying. Also, it is true that Alduin is at least somewhat older than every other dragon in existence.

I am pretty sure those are just names given to generic enemy NPcs so you know what it is.

As for Alduin, yes he is older, he is time itself forged in form, he was the first, before all things, and the last.

Odahviing also refers to Paarthurnax as "the old one" after Paarth announces his intention to try to teach The Way of the Voice to the other dragons. It's hard to see why he would phrase it that way unless he was substantially younger than Paarth. So there does seem to be more age variation within the species than just Alduin vs. all the others.

Regarding the dragons in Forgotten Vale, I'm not sure they were hiding. I have wondered if those dragons might not have been there from the beginning as a sort of honor guard to a major temple to their father (given that Auriel = Akatosh). That Falmer temple must be unthinkably ancient, and was certainly built long before the arrival of men from Atmora.

How do we know that a large number of dragons didn't flee to Atmora to escape the Dragonguard pogrom? They must have lived there once, since that was where dragon worship began. Perhaps all Alduin had to do was recall them after his return.

Odahviing also refers to Paarthurnax as "the old one" after Paarth announces his intention to try to teach The Way of the Voice to the other dragons. It's hard to see why he would phrase it that way unless he was substantially younger than Paarth. So there does seem to be more age variation within the species than just Alduin vs. all the others.

Regarding the dragons in Forgotten Vale, I'm not sure they were hiding. I have wondered if those dragons might not have been there from the beginning as a sort of honor guard to a major temple to their father (given that Auriel = Akatosh). That Falmer temple must be unthinkably ancient, and was certainly built long before the arrival of men from Atmora.

How do we know that a large number of dragons didn't flee to Atmora to escape the Dragonguard pogrom? They must have lived there once, since that was where dragon worship began. Perhaps all Alduin had to do was recall them after his return.

Possibly, although again, the issue of neutral dragons. Why would they heed Alduin's call, if they weren't going to follow him?

And this would still leave their numbers very heavily diminished, as it's stated SOMEWHERE, I can't remember where, that yes, people did indeed kill a lot of dragons.

EDIT: I stand by that Elder and Ancient is probably referring at least a little to age (although they are also a clearly different species from the others, I will concede that) because why not just call them something else non-age related. I don't think it really has to do with individual age, however, more that these two were probably some of the first to be created, after Alduin and Paarthurnax.

Edited by AnubisRaven

Alduin is called the first born of Akatosh. I don't know about anyone else but that suggests to me that he was born, not created. Of course in real world mythologies we have goddesses forming from detached body parts so I guess anything is possible. Maybe all the Dragons are parts of Akatosh and when Nirn was created that is how he was bound to it. Alduin is Akatosh's buttocks, which is why hes such an a**hole.

Alduin is called the first born of Akatosh. I don't know about anyone else but that suggests to me that he was born, not created. Of course in real world mythologies we have goddesses forming from detached body parts so I guess anything is possible. Maybe all the Dragons are parts of Akatosh and when Nirn was created that is how he was bound to it. Alduin is Akatosh's buttocks, which is why hes such an a**hole.

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/seven-fights-aldudagga

And the third, who looked akin to a Karstaag-man, [gigantic], and adorned in storm cloud and endless, endless yellowtooth… [he] was Alduin the World-Eater, and he only said, "Ho ha ho."

“You will eat nothing here, aspect Ald,” said the Aka-Tusk, sensing trouble. “Do not forget that it was Heaven itself that shed you from me.

“Who cares,” the World-Eater said, “You speak of the Prolix Laws, which do not bind me if you strain our kinship. You awoke me. That bell-sound has consequence. And the Dagon here, well, he’s going to tell me right now where he’s hidden all the additions to the World he has hoarded in the long aeons of salmon-leap which he calls his own survival.”

Edited by sajuukkhar9000