Nexus Mod Manager doesn't actually do anything

GreatDaemon

I recently installed NMM, having previously used steam workshop to install a few minor mods such as improving horse speed. I downloaded several mods through NMM, including HD-2K textures, JaSus swords, SMIM, and Immersive armors. I installed these mods suing NMM's "install" button, and now they are marked as "installed" in the mods screen, and they appear in the load order.

Trouble is, none of them are actually in the game. There are no new swords or armour, textures looks as bad as ever, and there's no improvement to any meshes. Basically, NMM claims to have installed the mods when in reality it seems to have done nothing. I've checked that the install directory is correct, and even the steam pre-loading windows shows these NMM-installed mods as being in the load order, yet none of them are in the game.

If any could recommend some troubleshooting steps and point me in the right direction as to how to diagnose the problem, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks :)

Did you activate the mods after you installed them? Are they checked as active like most of mine or unchecked like the blue highlighted one? If they aren't checked left click on the mod name and press the blue puzzle piece icon the red arrow is pointing to below to activate them.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/Activatemods.jpg

I think I might know what is going on.

If you use the game's launcher to start the game it keeps a different list of mods than those kept by BOSS, Wrye Bash & NMM. What is likely happening after you've activated the mod is that you've gone to the game's launcher and started the game. If you had not accessed the data files tab, everything would have worked. But by accessing the data tab it reverted to the last configuration used by the game's launcher and deselected all of the mods you added via NMM.

To see if that is the issue try the following:

Start up NMM, switch to the Plugins tab and confirm that all the mods are marked as activated. Then press the big button at the top that says Launch Skyrim. After the game starts and you load up your save, see if the mods are indeed working.

Did you activate the mods after you installed them? Are they checked as active like most of mine or unchecked like the blue highlighted one? If they aren't checked left click on the mod name and press the blue puzzle piece icon the red arrow is pointing to below to activate them.

Thanks for the reply! I do indeed have them checked as active (at least the ones I want to use right now) - here's a couple of screenshots:

http://imgur.com/IaS65.png

http://imgur.com/k42xT.png

So I'm pretty sure that's not the issue.

I think I might know what is going on.

If you use the game's launcher to start the game it keeps a different list of mods than those kept by BOSS, Wrye Bash & NMM. What is likely happening after you've activated the mod is that you've gone to the game's launcher and started the game. If you had not accessed the data files tab, everything would have worked. But by accessing the data tab it reverted to the last configuration used by the game's launcher and deselected all of the mods you added via NMM.

To see if that is the issue try the following:

Start up NMM, switch to the Plugins tab and confirm that all the mods are marked as activated. Then press the big button at the top that says Launch Skyrim. After the game starts and you load up your save, see if the mods are indeed working.

I gave that a try, but pressing that button just seems to start skyrim via the regular steam launcher. I'm looking at how to bypass that launcher now with a custom launch command in NMM, but I imagine that would unsync my game, which may not be a good thing...

If you don't set NMM up to launch SKSE or Skyrim Borderless Window then it would start the game normally but as long as you don't acces the data files tab the mod list should remain as what is in NMM.

Do the mods you have from Steam Workshop work? If they don't work either then double check your SkyrimPrefs.ini file and make sure you have this under the [Launcher] section: bEnableFileSelection=1

The next question would be: What version of Skyrim do you have? Some mods don't work unless you are at the most absolute up to date version.

If you don't set NMM up to launch SKSE or Skyrim Borderless Window then it would start the game normally but as long as you don't acces the data files tab the mod list should remain as what is in NMM.

Do the mods you have from Steam Workshop work? If they don't work either then double check your SkyrimPrefs.ini file and make sure you have this under the [Launcher] section: bEnableFileSelection=1

The next question would be: What version of Skyrim do you have? Some mods don't work unless you are at the most absolute up to date version.

Thanks for the help :)

Currently at work, so I'll have wait until I'm home to determine what version I have, but it should be the most up-to-date one as it is installed via Steam, and steam handles the update process automatically.

I can definitively state that the Steam Workshop mods do work, and it's only the NMM ones that don't. At this point I wonder if it would be worth uninstalling all of my SW mods and reinstalling them via NMM, in order to get SW out of the picture entirely - what do you think?

Edited by GreatDaemon

I used to use a couple SW mods with NMM mods, but I did decide for simplicity (and the fact that Steam will update the mods to the newest version even if you don't have the required DLCs) to locate the NMM versions of the mods if possible.

It might help if you stuck with one type. Could be that Steam is auto-deactivating all your NMM based mods. But I'm just guessing...