WHAT exactly would make my game run more stable?

mrsathletic

What would make Skyrim more stable?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What would make Skyrim more stable?

• More RAM
    • Better graphics card
    • Better CPU
    • Something else

ok so as many here have said it could be a mod conflict and creating a bash patch may be something that would help. however after looking at your system specs i have to tell you it is possible that you are getting ctd due to your hardware. while your graphics is okay your processing is big-time lacking and skyrim alone is a very cpu intensive game. mods that involve any type of scripting (warzones being one) are just creating more processes for your 2 threads to calculate. the other thing to bear in mind is the 4gbs of ram. skyrim can be configured to allocate up to 4gbs of ram by itself, in a 32 bit system such as yours the most that is loaded into your ram at one time is 2gbs so you cn see how much drop you have alone in the lack of ram. now your gpu is ok like i said in fact you could turn your graphics up. i promise you it is not a graphical issue that is causing this unless you have mis-configured or faulty hardware. a 560ti is more than enough to run vanilla skyrim at high settings and get close 60fps, if you have a decent cpu.

--2nd year computer maintenance and electrical engineering / applied computer sciences major with a 3.8 gpa, trust me its either;

1. your load order

2. a driver issue, hardware issue or other internal non-skyrim related issue independent to your pc

3. (this i guess is most likely) you just don't have enough enough RAM and and cpu cores or threads to handle everything you are throwing at it. you think turning the graphics down will compensate this but it wont your graphics card is quite capable the graphics are processed by your gtx560ti so turning them down is actually doing little to nothing in helping your issue which stems from the dual core cpu. you need four cores and 8gbs ram. dont be too discouraged though if you're not too snooty you can pick up a nice amd 4 or 6 core cpu at 3.4 ghz for under $125, you would a new mb as well but newegg and microcenter always have great packages for around $200. good luck until then turn off warzones that mod's creator himself says it's for high end machines.

ok so as many here have said it could be a mod conflict and creating a bash patch may be something that would help. however after looking at your system specs i have to tell you it is possible that you are getting ctd due to your hardware. while your graphics is okay your processing is big-time lacking and skyrim alone is a very cpu intensive game. mods that involve any type of scripting (warzones being one) are just creating more processes for your 2 threads to calculate. the other thing to bear in mind is the 4gbs of ram. skyrim can be configured to allocate up to 4gbs of ram by itself, in a 32 bit system such as yours the most that is loaded into your ram at one time is 2gbs so you cn see how much drop you have alone in the lack of ram. now your gpu is ok like i said in fact you could turn your graphics up. i promise you it is not a graphical issue that is causing this unless you have mis-configured or faulty hardware. a 560ti is more than enough to run vanilla skyrim at high settings and get close 60fps, if you have a decent cpu.

--2nd year computer maintenance and electrical engineering / applied computer sciences major with a 3.8 gpa, trust me its either;

1. your load order

2. a driver issue, hardware issue or other internal non-skyrim related issue independent to your pc

3. (this i guess is most likely) you just don't have enough enough RAM and and cpu cores or threads to handle everything you are throwing at it. you think turning the graphics down will compensate this but it wont your graphics card is quite capable the graphics are processed by your gtx560ti so turning them down is actually doing little to nothing in helping your issue which stems from the dual core cpu. you need four cores and 8gbs ram. dont be too discouraged though if you're not too snooty you can pick up a nice amd 4 or 6 core cpu at 3.4 ghz for under $125, you would a new mb as well but newegg and microcenter always have great packages for around $200. good luck until then turn off warzones that mod's creator himself says it's for high end machines.

A) This game threads like it's passing a kidney stone. I'm on an AMD 980 BE (Quad) and my game runs smoother and is more stable if I limit it to two physical CPU cores besides core 0. Why not core 0? Because core 0 always handles all I/O for the OS. If you free it up, the game will run smoother in general. A lot of people experience this on Intel and AMD chips and it's just a nuance of the game engine. Beyond that, to definitively rule out having too little horsepower on your CPU just turn shadows down to low, or completely off. They're one of the most CPU intensive parts about the game, period. If you're still having CTDs then it's not a CPU issue.

B) I've never, ever seen my game use more than ~2,230,000,000 bytes (~2.07 GB) of RAM. I'm on a 64 bit OS and have 4GB of RAM. Even though there's over a GB of unused RAM, it just doesn't exceed that amount. Unless you're running your web browser in the background or something, getting more System RAM isn't going to do a thing for you. And if you are running your web browser in the background then I'd advise you close it before going out and spending money on RAM.

C) 560 TI's have a decent amount of muscle, but for a modded Skyrim 1 GB of vRAM is lacking. I'm running the game on one of these myself and when the vRAM buffer gets full, you know. As soon as you transition between an interior space and an exterior one, while your vRAM is maxed out, your FPS plummets. This behavior has been universal across all drivers since 276.xx. This however doesn't cause any sort of instability for me. Hitting esc to open the menu and then ctrl+alt+del followed by clicking cancel will force the video card to free up some vRAM and you should see a noticeable improvement in your FPS until you transition again... This is a problem with how poorly the game cleans up after itself when you leave a space. Currently, I'm not aware of any SKSE plugins or injection wrappers that take over this function for the game, but those of us without 1.5GB+ cards could use something like this.

This just leaves drivers, firmware, BIOS, settings, overclocking, mod setup, etc. as the culprit of your instability.

Edited by MShoap13

play with ...

bSelectivePurgeUnusedOnFastTravel=1

bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=0

Settings in Skyrim.ini

Your doing something right if you can run 30min.

Try to debug your mods order like everyone said too.

But 30min is pass the red zone ... Do you CTD when

you do something related to one of your mods?

You also could try my Power Loader ...

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/27959/

Edited by Jason2112

Do not take this suggestion as an insult to your intelligence but the bases must be covered.

Sort with boss.

Make a bash patch with Wrye Bash.

If you have done these already.

Thanks! I've heard of Wrye Bash but using it is beyond what I am capable of. :confused:

1. your load order

A) This game threads like it's passing a kidney stone. I'm on an AMD 980 BE (Quad) and my game runs smoother and is more stable if I limit it to two physical CPU cores besides core 0. Why not core 0? Because core 0 always handles all I/O for the OS. If you free it up, the game will run smoother in general. A lot of people experience this on Intel and AMD chips and it's just a nuance of the game engine. Beyond that, to definitively rule out having too little horsepower on your CPU just turn shadows down to low, or completely off. They're one of the most CPU intensive parts about the game, period. If you're still having CTDs then it's not a CPU issue.

B) I've never, ever seen my game use more than ~2,230,000,000 bytes (~2.07 GB) of RAM. I'm on a 64 bit OS and have 4GB of RAM. Even though there's over a GB of unused RAM, it just doesn't exceed that amount. Unless you're running your web browser in the background or something, getting more System RAM isn't going to do a thing for you. And if you are running your web browser in the background then I'd advise you close it before going out and spending money on RAM.

C) 560 TI's have a decent amount of muscle, but for a modded Skyrim 1 GB of vRAM is lacking. I'm running the game on one of these myself and when the vRAM buffer gets full, you know. As soon as you transition between an interior space and an exterior one, while your vRAM is maxed out, your FPS plummets. This behavior has been universal across all drivers since 276.xx. This however doesn't cause any sort of instability for me. Hitting esc to open the menu and then ctrl+alt+del followed by clicking cancel will force the video card to free up some vRAM and you should see a noticeable improvement in your FPS until you transition again... This is a problem with how poorly the game cleans up after itself when you leave a space. Currently, I'm not aware of any SKSE plugins or injection wrappers that take over this function for the game, but those of us without 1.5GB+ cards could use something like this.

This just leaves drivers, firmware, BIOS, settings, overclocking, mod setup, etc. as the culprit of your instability.

Thank you both! Crashes to desktop almost always happen in "Warzone cells". I already decreased the spawns but they still occur. I read the Warzones manual and I found a workaround by switching of specific Warzone cells manually (with console commands). I really love Warzones and a lot of neutral NPCs running around because this creates a living world which Skyrim isn't really in vanilla.

I'm gonna buy a new CPU definitely but a new graphics card, both would be too expensive right now. :biggrin:

play with ...

bSelectivePurgeUnusedOnFastTravel=1

bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=0

Settings in Skyrim.ini

Your doing something right if you can run 30min.

Try to debug your mods order like everyone said too.

But 30min is pass the red zone ... Do you CTD when

you do something related to one of your mods?

You also could try my Power Loader ...

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/27959/

Thanks, I will try this! I didn't know that SKSE loader addon or your power loader before... :happy:

Edited by mrsathletic

• 2 weeks later...

Best way to get things working right is to rebuild them from the ground up.

Start by removing everything but the TESV.exe. Then use Steam to validate your data.

This will bring you back to totally stock. Then one by testing one add your mods.

Keeping the new build free of any clutter. I know this hurts but it's really the only

way to get it 100% right.

Edited by Jason2112