[LE] Labeling Mannequins, Doors, etc.

Full disclosure -- I am completely new to modding. I started literally two days ago with Creation Kit. I've watched a ton of tutorials, gone through the Wiki, and feel like I've got a decent understanding of the major concepts.

Something I cannot seem to find is how to label mannequins or doors uniquely. I want to label mannequins by their armor type so that when I go in, I have it pre-organized the way I want it to be.

Also, I'm creating a mod similar to Crossroads Cellar (for those familiar) as a door hub of sorts and want to label the doors so that I know what room I'm going into before I go through Loading the next Cell.

I know it can be done as I've seen it in multiple mods. Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry if this is a simple solution, but I promised I've tried to find the answer everywhere on my own first.

EDIT (new issue just surfaced): Additionally, I duplicated the Lakeview Cellar Cell and edited it so that there is a door instead of the shrines/shrine base. I created the .esp, uploaded it to Vortex, but when I go in the game, the shrine base is still there. How do I get my mod to override the main files? I know load order matters, but that doesn't seem to be the issue here. I just need the game to recognize my Lakeview Cellar mod instead of the original cell the game default loads.

Edited by jamstertrouble

1st ... thing you should do is follow more than a few tutorials that build a small home. You will save yourself millions of errors by doing that.

2nd ... you should never use a default anything for a custom use. The trick is to not change any default anything from the original game.

What you do is edit something, change it's id name, save as a new item .. then work off your new custom item.

Exp: Edit a mannequin, change it's id name, (let's say) MyModName_Mannequin_Steel. Then change it's name to (let's say) Steel Mannequin.

Press ok ... you will be asked if you wish to create a new item. Click Yes. Now you have a custom Mannequin named Steel Mannequin.

Do the same for the door. Remove the old door then put your door in place. You must make sure the door you remove is not needed however.
Basically you don't change items all ready in game but you can make your own version (as shown) and use that. Most the time you don't have to

use a custom item so there is no need to change it.

3rd ... you as the mod maker have to not hurt /change anything the game needs or uses.

I am talking about an items base here more than anything. But this is actually simple modding do's and don't.
Like I said it's best to watch a few home creation tutorials. Myself I think I've seen them all by now ...

Knowing the difference between an Item and an Items base and how that all works is key.
Exp1: Putting down a candle but made it smaller ... that would be fine as you didn't need to change the item base to do that.
Exp2: Putting down a candle named the "holy light" ... that would change the base of the item. So you would need to make your own version (as stated above).

Exp3: Putting down a candle named the "holy light" with a different .nif file to change the look. You would need to make a new version and create a .bsa to go with the mod.

Edited by NexusComa

1st ... thing you should do is follow more than a few tutorials that build a small home. You will save yourself millions of errors by doing that.

2nd ... you should never use a default anything for a custom use. The trick is to not change any default anything from the original game.

What you do is edit something, change it's id name, save as a new item .. then work off your new custom item.

Exp: Edit a mannequin, change it's id name, (let's say) MyModName_Mannequin_Steel. Then change it's name to (let's say) Steel Mannequin.

Press ok ... you will be asked if you wish to create a new item. Click Yes. Now you have a custom Mannequin named Steel Mannequin.

Do the same for the door. Remove the old door then put your door in place. You must make sure the door you remove is not needed however.
Basically you don't change items all ready in game but you can make your own version (as shown) and use that. Most the time you don't have to

use a custom item so there is no need to change it.

3rd ... you as the mod maker have to not hurt /change anything the game needs or uses.

I am talking about an items base here more than anything. But this is actually simple modding do's and don't.
Like I said it's best to watch a few home creation tutorials. Myself I think I've seen them all by now ...

Knowing the difference between an Item and an Items base and how that all works is key.
Exp1: Putting down a candle but made it smaller ... that would be fine as you didn't need to change the item base to do that.
Exp2: Putting down a candle named the "holy light" ... that would change the base of the item. So you would need to make your own version (as stated above).

Exp3: Putting down a candle named the "holy light" with a different .nif file to change the look. You would need to make a new version and create a .bsa to go with the mod.

I think I followed a good bit, but I will definitely watch more tutorials. If you have any recommendations, I'd appreciate it. I've seen a number of Darkfox's and another user (can't remember the name). This definitely helps though.

I don't really intend on making mods for other users (at this point) for the simple fact that I am so new and I don't want to ruin anyone's game, but also I obviously don't want to ruin my own game.

Edited by jamstertrouble

They have a bunch made by the Creation Kit team themselves. One is a build a home tutorial. Think it's even one of 1st tutorials. That was the 1st one I seen. Got lucky it was the best one.

If you double click a object in the render window it will open the Reference interface/window to edit the Reference. This kind of editing will not effect the Base object from that Reference.
If you then click the Edit Base button it will open the Base interface/window to edit the Base. Both are objects ... The Base object has many Reference objects using it. This is why you never

change a game Base object. But you can simply rename the ID press OK the press YES to make a new object. You can now change that Base object anyway you wish.When you drag a Base object

from the Object window and drop it into the Render window the creation Kit automatically makes it a Reference object linked via the Base. Once you have your custom Base object if you need to edit it again.

After pressing OK press NO do not make a new object. You can also change a Base object's mesh or .nif file with the Model Edit button. If you do this however you then need to add a .bsa file with File /create archive.

Hope that is more clear...

Edited by NexusComa

Mannequins don't have names, to hide them from activation; what gives you the prompt 'Activate Mannequin' ingame is actually a triggerbox around it, and that is what you need to modify if you wish to change the name that appears.

At least, if you want to do so directly. You can get clever with perks; there is a perk entry point that allows you to override default activation texts. With use of conditions you can set this up to apply to a limited set of, or even individual, objects. You can even apply a very limited subset of HTML to it for fancy jazz (colour, for example).

I used that to achieve this:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/776248268997109899/ACBC3B9C8D32ECACD7B357AC5E23728E2373002E/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/776248268997110080/4B93DC7DC6D5B9DAF4A58EBF50AA3A35B5E53B3E/