NMM version 0.34.0 and new notification system

Dark0ne

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there, first time instaling the NMM. It installs and searchs for the folders alright, after that when it stats to load, it simply crashes, gives an error mesage and closes. I didnt find much info on that yet, but it seems there are other users experiencing the same thing.

@zemura:

Crash when it starts to load -Try clearing your cache (different for different browsers, check your browser help)

Does it find the proper folder? Sometimes if you had a previous install in a different location it picks the wrong one.

More help: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/721054-problems-read-here-first-nexus-mod-manager-frequent-issues/

Good update... both the site and NMM... but I have to say that the update function categorization of mods in NMM would be interesting to be implemented soon... would be much easier to organize lots of mods which usually most people have!

thx!

Just changed to Windows 7 from XP. Thought this would be a good time to try NMM .34.

Installed program and it recognized Fallout 3 and FNV as well as the mods I have been running.

NMN set up its own directories and I clicked okay.

Tried to start the program and nothing happened?

1. What do I need to do to run Fallout 3?

2. How can I add in the saves for my current game? [/size ]

I have read how other people have been able to use these programs in Windows 7, so I am hopeful that I can do this as well.

@Moksha8088: Starting with Vista and then included in Win7 MS stuck us with a new security feature called UAC (User Account Control) which tries to block any changes to programs installed in the Program files folders. It causes many wacky problems with modding games as mods are changes. Unfortunately they tried to make a one size fits all solution by insisting that all programs MUST be installed in the program files folders where UAC can screw with them.

They also changed the rules for Administrator - just because you are logged in as an admin, that doesn't really mean you have admin privileges for your programs :pinch:

You could just turn UAC off, but that defeats the purpose of keeping malware from changing things like your firewall settings to allow them access to your computer or secretly creating a new hidden administrator account that allows changing permission to access your financial programs. :facepalm:

Best solution - install programs that you don't want protected by UAC (such as games, game utilities and Steam) outside of the UAC over controlled folders. (these are limited to 'Program Files' and 'Program Files (X86)' )

I have always used a separate location and it actually took a while for me to understand why so many people were having problems getting some things to work.

My games & steam are installed to C:\Games\Game_name - and for Steam, C:\games\steam - steam will happily install there and work just fine. They even have a simple way to move the entire steam from the program files into any other folder without reinstalling anything https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=231

As for NMM, Mine is installed to C:\Games\Nexus Mod manager

Now, for the admin account that doesn't allow admin privileges :rolleyes: - using the windows file system, navigate to the folder that has the program (in your case NMM) right click on it. from the list select 'Run as Administrator' You have to do this with each program that you want to be able to make changes to. You can try this with any other programs that won't start also.