Changing ENB files - few questions

Windmaker13

I'm using newest basic ENB file from Boris Vorontsov with some little changes in it but I find it to have too light nights. I was using Sharpshooters Extreme Graphics Vision and I liked it's darkness at night and in all interiors or places with limited light. I just didn't like it's changes in bloom, dof and colors which made game look too sweet for me. Can someone tell me how can I make all nights and places without light sources darker, but basing on newest ENB file v0.123?

I have found many tutorials, but it was difficult to find good explanation on how which line works, mostly because new version has much more options then older one I found.

Generally I would like to:

- make nights darker

- make interios darker

- change range of light from torches etc.

Mostly Id like to have similar effects like in Sharpshooters Extreme Graphics Vision ENB but based on newest enb version without dof and so much color changes.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can change ColorPow and you will get a lot less color and make it also darker the same time, if im not remebering it wrong, been a while sins i moded on my ENB's

you will also likley have to adjust direktlightning at verius directions, but think the ColorPow is that you seek here,

try it out and let me know how it goes :thumbsup:

Btw many ENB have a "Darker nights" preset in them to just activate by changing them from files already followed in the download, you sure there is nothing more in your verius ENB mods folders?

some alos have "Darker Nights" in there INI file to just sett to 1 from 0

my ColorPow is atm

ColorPowDay=1.1

ColorPowNight=1.1

as an example for you :blush:

for darker interior change these values

DirectLightingIntensityInterior=1.0

DirectLightingCurveInterior=1.0

DirectLightingDesaturationInterior=0.0

SpecularAmountMultiplierInterior=1.0

SpecularPowerMultiplierInterior=1.0

SpecularFromLightInterior=0.0

AmbientLightingIntensityInterior=1.0

AmbientLightingCurveInterior=1.0

AmbientLightingDesaturationInterior=0.0

PointLightingIntensityInterior=1.0

PointLightingCurveInterior=1.0

PointLightingDesaturationInterior=0.0

FogColorMultiplierInterior=1.0

FogColorCurveInterior=1.0

ColorPowInterior=1.0

these are from my ENB so it is just an example on wich lines you to need to change, the aktuell value you need i dont know, it dipends on al the other values for it to get right

Am myself using ENBSeriesV0.119 Boris Vorontsov

and Cinematically Realistic ENB 1_2 by Tywele

look on some of my newest screenshots and you will see how they look togheter, if you wanna add some more to get darker nights

my screenshots are with SSAO-SSIL off so it is possible to get darker by just activate SSAO_SSIL again, but was just not my taste there

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/users/3772977 screenis found here <--

Edit: forgot to mention, the less ColorPow you have, the less color, but test this some, it could be that less color the brighter it gets, cant remember how it was, :biggrin:

With all due respect to Boris (ENBseries creator) - although the standard ENB mod is a work of genius, they're kinda not really setup for great settings and visual quality right from the off. If a particular ENB preset looks close to your preferred image type, to a certain extent you can overwrite specific ENB based files to mix and match various aspects of settings into one ENB preset.

As for your requests, perhaps try the following....

1) Making nights darker - this is can be achieved by several methods, but once of the most common methods could be HD6's darker nights code. This isn't present in Sharpshooters ENB preset, so I'd guess that dark nights are setup by the "normal" method of enbseries.ini tweaks to the nights direct and indirect lighting values. So basically use the enbseries.ini from Sharpshooters ENB preset. Interiors can often be controlled via exterior night settings, but as I've not yet played around with the later ENB versions then this might've changed.

2) Bloom - don't like Sharpshooters bloom, then use the standard ENB series bloom file "enbbloom.fx"

3) DOF - again, use the original or (alternative) ENB DOF file, which is "enbeffectprepass.fx"

4) Saturation / Colour - this is setup within the "enbeffect.fx" file.

This is a very basic, and perhaps non-ideal approach to getting the settings you like, but it's a good start and may well do the job for you. The ideal approach would be to adjust the contents of the files to suit your tastes, which would involve...

1) Dark nights - reduce values for direct and indirect light intensity within the enbseries.ini file.

2) Bloom - this can also be adjusted via the enbseries.ini (the enbbloom.fx file is the mod code itself, which is controlled via the .ini)

3) DOF - it's best to try different enbprepasseffect.fx files from different mod presets until you find the one that suits you the best. Matso has a very comprehensive DOF variations collection within the "Project Matso ENB" mod. The DOF values can be manually changed within the enbprepasseffect.fx file, but it's only advised to adjust DOF values if you really know what you're doing - it's incredibly easy to mess things up.

4) Saturation / Colour - look in the enbeffect.fx file and find either a direct saturation (multiplier) setting and adjust to you taste - normally 1.0 is standard saturation, or find the R/G/B vaules and adjust these instead.

I've just quickly combined these files together as I've just recommened, and it seems to work, but I can't say for sure as I have my own custom lighting mod also installed which makes it hard for me to state true results.

Give it a stab, and if you have any probs or questions then post them here and I'll see if I can be of more help.

@ Shadiva - just read your post that you submitted while I was typing my one.

You can change ColorPow and you will get a lot less color and make it also darker the same time, if im not remebering it wrong, been a while sins i moded on my ENB's

you will also likley have to adjust direktlightning at verius directions, but think the ColorPow is that you seek here,

try it out and let me know how it goes

The Colour Power option isn't really directly intended for brightness and / or contrast adjustments, it's just primarily a saturation technique. Admittedly you can change the colour power setting to say 1.5 and it'll make things darker, but only by manipulating the image, and manipulation is something that's ideally completely avoided at all costs as it normally bring comprimises if not errors to the settings. The nearer to 1.0 you can get, the better everything else is setup.

Yes as Largestyle wrothes, the ENBSeries by Boris Vorotsov is created in mind to be used togheter with other ENB mods as a ground for them, so a matter of taste how you want it to look, if you just wanna use the ENBSeries only for it or need one more ENB to get it right :blush:

Okey, thanks for the info, have only done minor changes to my ENB's and the changes was to get it lower, so i probably dident notice anything strange then, thanks for info

@ Shadiva - just read your post that you submitted while I was typing my one.

try it out and let me know how it goes

The Colour Power option isn't really directly intended for brightness and / or contrast adjustments, it's just primarily a saturation technique. Admittedly you can change the colour power setting to say 1.5 and it'll make things darker, but only by manipulating the image, and manipulation is something that's ideally completely avoided at all costs as it normally bring comprimises if not errors to the settings. The nearer to 1.0 you can get, the better everything else is setup.

Thanks for answer. Newest ENB file has a lot of lines about interiors, so I think it can be adjusted more. I took files from Skyrim Enchance Shaders now, and used it as a base, but I will put everything on base of original enbseries.ini 0.123 version - I think I will try to port all values exactly as they are in SES and then change them as basic one are still too bright.

Just to be sure, as I read about that in one tutorial - I can change enbseries.ini file while playing the game and "restarting it" just by Shift+F12? It'll load all changes properly?

It's not so easy to work on them for the first time, as it's really easy to screw everything :)

Yes you can change the ENB's while having Skyrim running, just alt-tab and it will take the new changes, :thumbsup: Shift+f12 should also work, never did it that way myself though, as i was alt tabbing to change

Just to be sure, as I read about that in one tutorial - I can change enbseries.ini file while playing the game and "restarting it" just by Shift+F12? It'll load all changes properly?

Shift+F12 just toggles ENB on or off. You'll need to press "Backspace" to reload all ENB files while the game is running (which is best done in windowed mode for faster changes).