Always in the enbseries.ini file, check the [OBJECT] section

[OBJECT]

SubSurfaceScatteringMultiplierDay=0.5

SubSurfaceScatteringMultiplierNight=0.5

SubSurfaceScatteringPowerDay=10.0

SubSurfaceScatteringPowerNight=10.0

SubSurfaceScatteringMultiplierInterior=1.0

SubSurfaceScatteringPowerInterior=1.0

Try to manipulate some value and see the results, personally i never touched such values, so i don't know exactly how to give you a reference :\

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried it with very different values - 0.0 to 10.0 but without effect on inventory and map.

It looks like very high setting was used for those objects, but well, I tried I think everything... The problem is that I have changed that some time ago, but I didn't notice this change as I didn't look at inventory earlier.

Strange :)

One thing left for me. I have changed something and I screwed light on objects in inventory and map at day time. Now they are far too bright. This is how it looks:

I'm afraid you're not going to like the answer to your problem, and it's regretfully nothing to do with the [OBJECT] section of enbseries.ini, it's to do with "ambientlightintensity" vaules for day and night.

What's happened here is a result of poorly calibrated monitors. Since I've properly, and I do mean properly calibrated my monitor for not only contrast, brightness, saturation, but PROPER GAMMA SETTINGS, it shows up the fact that a lot of peoples monitors aren't calibrated properly. Ultimately, Climates of Tamriel mod author didn't calibrate his monitor, and as a result the mod is a lot darker than it should be. The result of that is that mods such as ENB have to compensate for this darkness. After giving Windmakers posted enbseries.ini a go it was immediately obvious that COT was in use as that mod looks dark as hell on my monitor and Windmakers enbseries.ini has massive lighting multipliers for lighting. If the base lighting mod is done correctly, and quite frankly my own lighting mod is the case here, you should have the ENB lighting multipliers set to 1.0 as ENB shouldn't have to compensate for anything, it's supposed to add differenct processing options, that's all.

So the problem is, that now you (Windmaker) have set everything bar menu items up, you can't change the menu lighting as it'll drastically affect your game lighting. Ultimately, if you want to carry on using COT, you'll have to put up with overly-bright menu lighting.

I'm not trying to brag or sound big-headed, but I can't stress enough the absolute importance of FULL monitor calibration as the Gamma settings are normally way off base and it will screw things up. I wasn't prepared to spend almost a year of my life writing a mod without knowing that it's setup correctly for everyone else to use, and I don't think others should ignore this too. Besides, it's not only good if not essential practice, but it obviously makes everything look much better.

Try this, it'll only take a minute...

Calibreze - Monitor Calibration Software

It'll guide you through a few simple steps, but the most "influential" setting is gamma. Sure brightness controls your black level, and contrast controls your white level, obviously both important, but gamma controls everything between black to white, damn important.

Anyway, rant over.

EDIT: Oh yeah, ENBs subsurfacescattering makes changes to certain foilage like small bushes and 3d grass.

Edited by LargeStyle

Thanks LargeStyle! I will follow Your suggestions. It looks like Skyrim is my first so much depending on every computer aspect game I had, as before I have never had such homeworks like now :)

So let's go to work! :)

These are good images to have to confirm good brightness, contrast, and saturation levels (best downloaded and viewed full screen):

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1667/zwhitecalcheck.jpg

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/5407/zblackcalcheck.jpg

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7703/nokia1920x10801.jpg

... and use the R/G/B circle test in Calibreze to correct your gamma level.

Once you've done all that, obviously test out what Skyrim looks like with the new monitor settings - it'll no doubt be rather dark and dull, with nights and interiors almost pitch black. Also feel free to check out my video I posted earlier today, perhaps a good example of an ENB that's been adjusted to take advantage of what should be a correctly setup game.

I have made some tests - I guess I will look into calibration once again in Christmas time when I will be able to make it more carefully, but after first few changes I got my inventory look properly. The thing is that I have installed RL once again and I'm switching between COT and RL and well, it seems that with full respect to COT author, for me it's colors are totally not in my taste :)

I think I will play as I will be able till Your mod release and then I will see how it works :)

One thing left for me. I have changed something and I screwed light on objects in inventory and map at day time. Now they are far too bright. This is how it looks:

I'm afraid you're not going to like the answer to your problem, and it's regretfully nothing to do with the [OBJECT] section of enbseries.ini, it's to do with "ambientlightintensity" vaules for day and night.

What's happened here is a result of poorly calibrated monitors. Since I've properly, and I do mean properly calibrated my monitor for not only contrast, brightness, saturation, but PROPER GAMMA SETTINGS, it shows up the fact that a lot of peoples monitors aren't calibrated properly. Ultimately, Climates of Tamriel mod author didn't calibrate his monitor, and as a result the mod is a lot darker than it should be. The result of that is that mods such as ENB have to compensate for this darkness. After giving Windmakers posted enbseries.ini a go it was immediately obvious that COT was in use as that mod looks dark as hell on my monitor and Windmakers enbseries.ini has massive lighting multipliers for lighting. If the base lighting mod is done correctly, and quite frankly my own lighting mod is the case here, you should have the ENB lighting multipliers set to 1.0 as ENB shouldn't have to compensate for anything, it's supposed to add differenct processing options, that's all.

So the problem is, that now you (Windmaker) have set everything bar menu items up, you can't change the menu lighting as it'll drastically affect your game lighting. Ultimately, if you want to carry on using COT, you'll have to put up with overly-bright menu lighting.

I'm not trying to brag or sound big-headed, but I can't stress enough the absolute importance of FULL monitor calibration as the Gamma settings are normally way off base and it will screw things up. I wasn't prepared to spend almost a year of my life writing a mod without knowing that it's setup correctly for everyone else to use, and I don't think others should ignore this too. Besides, it's not only good if not essential practice, but it obviously makes everything look much better.

Try this, it'll only take a minute...

Calibreze - Monitor Calibration Software

It'll guide you through a few simple steps, but the most "influential" setting is gamma. Sure brightness controls your black level, and contrast controls your white level, obviously both important, but gamma controls everything between black to white, damn important.

Anyway, rant over.

EDIT: Oh yeah, ENBs subsurfacescattering makes changes to certain foilage like small bushes and 3d grass.

This is really good to know, I thought that CoT didn't make such differenze between the original gamma setting of each configuration, maybe because I use an HD setting for all (having a 32" with hd contrast at low ratio) and custom setting by the CCC too, now it's all clear, thanks!

I think I will play as I will be able till Your mod release and then I will see how it works

Glad you seem happy with things now. Don't expect my mod to work well straight away, as I've done things theoritically correct then most if not all ENBs would have to be changed to compensate for my different base settings. My mod will hopefully be out in a weeks time, so keep an eye out for it :biggrin:

This is really good to know, I thought that CoT didn't make such differenze between the original gamma setting of each configuration, maybe because I use an HD setting for all (having a 32" with hd contrast at low ratio) and custom setting by the CCC too, now it's all clear, thanks!

Try and avoid any dynamic contrasts modes on your monitor / tv (if it has any) as this can cause some visual problems, but I'm also glad you're glad with the information!

Hope all your games and mods look good / better :)

Done already, just a little adjust on the r/g/b channel caused by dynamic color balance, for the rest it's ok (thanks to the HD contrast setting), i'll keep the eye on your work also, know it's time for me to make the hands on some animation, I'll try just like the past, but for now I've done with enb conf, enough :tongue:

Thanks again (10:50 p.m. here) may you've a nice evening ;)

Glad you seem happy with things now. Don't expect my mod to work well straight away, as I've done things theoritically correct then most if not all ENBs would have to be changed to compensate for my different base settings. My mod will hopefully be out in a weeks time, so keep an eye out for it

Some fresh stuff is always good :) And to be honest... even now all ENB's should be changed to match user taste, so You know ;) It always depends on base ;)