Vortex not meant to be run in administrator mode...

Jayc32

Hey guys, I am receiving an error message about Vortex meant to run in administrator mode.

I have searched all over for someone who had a solution and could help me fix this but I had no luck. So I am hoping someone could answer me here. Much appreciated. (:

Edited by Jayc32

The error message is clearly saying that Vortex is not intended to be run as administrator. So, please don't. Seems like your user account has admin rights or you deliberately chose to run Vortex as administrator, which you shouldn't.

Im having one drive SSD which is C: . Windows 10 does not allow programs (even with UAC disabled) to make changes to files in Documents, Downloads etc. which makes the mod deployment method (unpack it here, then paste it there from what i udnerstand) is completely broken for me outside admin mode and i will not give special rights to programs to write and delete stuff, expecialy in our day and age, sorry. The old school NMM works like a charm tho idk why u had to move to Vortex.

The error message is clearly saying that Vortex is not intended to be run as administrator. So, please don't. Seems like your user account has admin rights or you deliberately chose to run Vortex as administrator, which you shouldn't.

Im having one drive SSD which is C: . Windows 10 does not allow programs (even with UAC disabled) to make changes to files in Documents, Downloads etc. which makes the mod deployment method (unpack it here, then paste it there from what i udnerstand) is completely broken for me outside admin mode and i will not give special rights to programs to write and delete stuff, expecialy in our day and age, sorry. The old school NMM works like a charm tho idk why u had to move to Vortex.

Well, I am not purposely telling it to open in admin mode. I just hit open and it says that right away. Apologies if I'm not understanding this right but are you saying I should turn off admin rights on my account for it to work? And yeah I switched to Vortex when it first came out. I was under the impression I had to upgrade from NMM and wasn't able to continue with it...

@PaladinHoss: Security concerns are exactly why we're doing this. NMM is usually run _with_ elevated privileges which would allow it (either due to bugs or malware run in its context, which could also include things like fomod installers) to damage your system. Vortex runs with your regular user account and I can guarantee you: everything works or can be made to work very easily _unless_ you make changes to security settings that you don't fully understand.

E.g. on a default windows install you absolutely would be able to make changes to files in Documents and Downloads with UAC enabled. These folders are _intended_ to be used by a regular user.

@Jayc32: What Vortex does is it tries an operation (one that doesn't actually modify anything) that wouldn't be allowed to a regular account on a properly configured windows. If this operation succeeds, Vortex concludes that it's running with more permissions than necessary. If you are certain you're not running in admin mode and that you have UAC enabled (guys, seriously, UAC needs to be enabled, everything else is negligent) - I guess you should just click ignore on the dialog. It won't come back.

The dialog is only there as a friendly warning you that you may be misusing Vortex, it's not an error message telling you about anything actually being broken.

Another thing I feel I need to clarify: The first user account you create on your windows (which is usually the only one most people use) is an administrator account but it doesn't usually run with these permission. Think of a cop who also has a life as a regular citizen and only gets out the gun and uniform when he's actually policing.

Your account usually runs with safe, restricted permissions for every day use and only if you're doing something that actually requires administrative power, UAC tells you that and gives you, the user, a chance to verify if you actually wanted to do that.

This isn't to protect you from yourself, it's there to ensure that malware doesn't do dangerous stuff on your system without your knowledge.