Text and menu display glitch

zack1293

I've been getting a strange glitch where the text in menus is blocked and turns into a black box following the general shape of the text. Sometimes the background of the menu is also blacked out. Occasionally my skin texture will also turn black and once I had my armor stop displaying leaving me as a set of floating arms, legs, and head. This happens after removing all mods, I've deleted my ini and let oblivion create a new one. I had Darn UI installed but removed it before regenerating my ini. The glitch occurs after a seemingly random amount of gameplay but I can force it to happen when choosing hair/eyes during character generation. I have also uninstalled an reinstalled oblivion to try and fix it. Any idea what causes this?

picture included in spoiler box.

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/images/4868918-1355215056.jpg

Is your texture size set to large?

I have texture size set to small. I tried playing a bit more and the most dramatic crash happened during a new cell load. It seemed like the meshes and textures started unloading themselves after I exited my inventory. First my armor disappeared then gradually the landscape started disappearing starting with the floor. I've put hundreds of hours in without these problems but I left the game alone for a month or so and suddenly this happens.

I don't recall ever seeing a problem like yours reported here. My texture size question was more of a shot in the dark than anything. I'd try setting the texture size to large temporarily just to eliminate that as a possibility.

I don't recall ever seeing a problem like yours reported here. My texture size question was more of a shot in the dark than anything. I'd try setting the texture size to large temporarily just to eliminate that as a possibility.

I've fiddled around with all of the in game settings. I thought it was something to do with the ini but I've been having all sorts of strange issues since I did a complete re-install. Luckily I've saved all of my mod files in my bash installers folder. Looks like I'll just have to try another clean install. My guess is some essential files are corrupted or something odd like that. Thanks for the reply.