Specular Map Fallout 4

johnaconda1

Can someone Please tell me a sure fire way to generate a specular map using paint dot.net. I have looked around but all I have found is crap, crap and more crap. I am tired of people hoarding the secrets of the universe. Someone Please Help Me!

I followed GaigeStorm's tutorial and I guess he doesn't use BC5 for specular maps, which doesn't work for instance for material swaps - at least for me. When it comes to using the right compression for PS/Gimp, I would recommend to follow the Bethesda mod school videos(most of the compression types are available in Paint.net as well). If you're interested in generating the files via a program, I sometimes use a free program called Materialize(the smoothness maps are the specs in this prog) which is usually cool to generate all sorts of different files. Then there is awesome bump which can be ok too and crazybump(which is only a 30day free trail version). Most of the time I follow that up by adjusting smaller things in Gimp and ofc to export with compression.

If you want to generate them manually, the rough work flow usually is: 1.) Make a copy of your diffuse pic and desaturate it (Lightless in gimp for instance). 2.) Play with the contrast, levels, blackness etc. until you've the desired result. Export everything in BC5 and generate mipmaps for it and use error correction if needed. It's usually a longer learning curve with testing and going back at your spec again and again until you've what you want. There are several decent youtube videos available which illustrate how to do it manually because the specular maps are really different depending on the diffuse and normal map and what the texture is used for. So I would recommend to check them out. Also: Keep in mind that the material file(bgsm) can greatly influence how your texture looks via speculare multiplier, greyscaling, envirornment maping etc. and the used cubemap.

Edited by DocMoebius