Oblivion sudden CTD is back

hamhock224

I'll preface by saying I am not by any means an expert which is why I'm coming here for help. I could be missing something simple and honestly at this point I hope that is the case. Normally I try to find my solution to these problem by looking at other forum posts but at this point I'm at my wits end. This has driven me up the wall. First I'll list the load order

Active Mod Files:

00  Oblivion.esm
01  better cities resources.esm  [Version 6.0.10]
02  Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp  [Version 3.5.6]
03  UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp  [Version 1.0.0]
04  Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp
05  DLCShiveringIsles.esp
06  Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp  [Version 1.5.9]
07  DLCHorseArmor.esp
08  DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.9]
09  DLCOrrery.esp
0A  DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.7]
0B  DLCVileLair.esp
0C  DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.11]
0D  DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
0E  DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.7]
0F  DLCSpellTomes.esp
10  DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.1]
11  DLCThievesDen.esp
12  DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.15]
13  DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp  [Version 1.0.14]
14  DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
15  DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.12]
16  DLCFrostcrag.esp
17  DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.10]
18  Knights.esp
19  Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.1.8]
1A  alternative start by robert evrae.esp
1B  1em_Vilja.esp  [Version 4.04]
1C  better cities .esp  [Version 6.0.10]
1D  better cities full.esp  [Version 6.0.11]
1E  better imperial city.esp  [Version 6.0.10]
1F  Oblivion XP.esp  [Version 4.1.5]
20  oblivion_character_overhaul.esp  [Version 2.0]
21  Bashed Patch, 0.esp
22  maskar's oblivion overhaul.esp  [Version 4.9.4.2]
23  companionfergus.esp  [Version 2.1]
24  immersive weapons.esp

(Wryebash said there were no conflicts with mods)

So I really wanted to do some modded oblivion, and so redownloaded the game and thought I'd start out by doing things safe with patches and stuff I knew was supposed to help it with stability. I used wryebash and all that. The game ran smoothly for a while, but the further i got into the game with my character it started to do the sudden CTD. I don't know if any other crash happens for others, it's where you'll be playing then suddenly *boop* youre looking at your desktop and the game is just closed, no questions asked. The game ran smoothly, in fact very smooth, it was like there was no problem but it would just close out, and I can't detect any pattern. I've seen threads where they say it happens at saving and loading, or going into new areas, but thats not the case for me. It just crashes, almost like its constantly rolling the dice until it rolls doubles and chooses then to screw me over and CTD. At first it would happen after maybe an hour of playing, so I didn't mind, then it became way more frequent so I started looking up fixes. I installed the 4GB edit, the ENBBoost, the OSR, then the fix for the OSR bug that mutes all weapon impact noises, then OneTweak and started running the game in borderless window (apparently that makes the game less intensive on the computer or whatever). And this actually worked for a good while as well. I thought I had finally managed for once to get over the instability issue with modding oblivion, and was having a great time. Though after some time the problem started coming back, so I installed the MoreHeap fix, which helped for a while, and I then read that overwriting saves is a bad idea, so I stopped doing that as well. This worked for a while, but now its back, and probably at it's worst. I get maybe five minutes, if even that, before it does the sudden CTD. I have installed no new mods at this point from the last fix... this sudden increase in frequency is seemingly out of the blue. I swear it has something to do with the game just getting sick of running or something the further (and more invested) you get into a playthrough. It's become infuriating because I've done so much, hours worth of looking up solutions and installing fixes, and even though it made the game better for a bit the problem is back and now I'm just completely out of ideas or solutions on forums.

So I guess what I'm asking is does anyone have ANY more advice on what to do? Because seriously, what the hell. I don't know what oblivion's problem is, I've given it seemingly EVERYTHING it needs to be running smoothly, and it still decides to be this way. I'm not even running that many mods, many threads say they can run it fine with hundreds of mods installed. It's made me so angry that at this point I have half a mind to just wipe the game off my hard drive at this point and set it aside for a long while, but I'm giving it one last chance. So if anyone has any advice or ideas, I'd really appreciate it, I've scoured forums for so long and I can't find anything to help.

Hey did you also install blockhead and enginebuxfixes? Also, enboost and osr need to be configured properly in order to avoid ctds particularly when working in conjunction... Did you insert the correct amount of memory in enblocal.ini (see here: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory )? How much reserved memory did you give? Try 512 or 768, don't go past 1024. Besides, did you enable the heap management? What is your heap size? Which algo are you using?

Edited by malautomedonte

EngineBugFixes is indeed recommended. Two fixes it contains may have bearing on your situation ... one that permanently fixes the A-Bomb stuck animation bug and a second that fixes a problem of random wilderness crashes because of a loading problem with Speedtree.

I do have both blockhead and enginebugfixes, and had them before these problems started up again, sorry i forgot to mention those. With so many of these things it was inevitable i would forget to mention some. across the various fixes that have heap settings I set it to 512, though i noticed one was at 768 when i was checking all of them, so i changed that one to 512 as well, figuring that would be best. The algorithm setting is at 6 for the heap thing right now. After changing that value of 768 to 512 (i forget which file it was in) I tried the game out for a bit and noticed it had actually developed a stutter, something that i never had a problem with before... and again I had maybe five minutes before the CTD happened.

To clarify on this CTD, it happens in various different places so I can't really pin it to any specific action in game. Some example of when its crashed so you can get an idea is:

- Sometimes in the wilderness

-In dungeons

-when inside the oblivion realm

-occasionally when loading, though that hasnt happened for a while

- really anywhere at any time... it can happen in cities, the city castles, homes, guild halls, it just happens.

Because of all these different areas I'm not sure its necessarily the wilderness crash that has been a problem for others, even if it has crashed in the wilderness. I dont even do anything special when it crashes, sometimes I'll be standing completely still and after a certain amount of time it will just crash.

Edited by hamhock224

Better Cities doesn't have a reputation of making the game more stable. Maskars has a lot of stuff running in the background via scripts.

You are at the point where the tried and true method of troubleshooting is looking like your next option. I do it as I install mods one at a time (and test thoroughly in between). You can do the same by uninstalling mods one at a time and test thoroughly in between until you find the culprit.

If it crashes also in interiors and in general in not resource-intensive areas I think your problem isn't about running out of memory, so it is almost certainly a mod causing that. Most of the things you installed are also present in my mod list, which is waaaay longer though. Try to disable oblivion xp for instance and replace it with maskar's ultimate leveling (since they're from the same modder they work perfectly together)... Then, try getting rid of those two companion mods, immersive weapons and alternative start, until you find the culprit. With such a short mod list the game shouldn't crash at all. I mean, it rarely crashes on my setup and I have about 200 mods.

Alright, I'll give those a try. I didn't want to believe mod conflicts were the problem because there was a point where all these mods were active and it ran fine, but I probably shouldn't assume its out of the realm of possibility something could have changed that makes it no longer the case.

Mods that have quests can be good partners in a load order until they reach a certain quest stage, and do something that throws a monkey wrench into somebody else's sandbox (or somebody else's wrench didn't hurt them until ... ).