Recipes for the Apocalypse

MrJoseCuervo

One of my Favorite dishes I thought I would share. If you have any meals or desserts please post them! I like to cook !

I use an Instant Pot for this if you dont have one you should get one but you will need to figure out the times for a stove top.. sorry

MrJoseCuervo's Broccoli Bacon Cheesy Soup

Ingredients:

1 half package of Bacon

3 Large Potatoes or 8-10 of those Little Red ones

4 Cups Chicken Stock or equivalent liquid product

2 1/2 Pounds of Broccoli Florets

1 Onion

1 Half Can Sweet Corn

Paprika

Crushed Dried Chilies (Optional but recommended!)

Pepper

Salt

Celery Seed

2 inches of Velveeta Cheese (Large Block)

Cook Up your Bacon and chop it up into chunks, Set it aside

Clean and chop the potatoes into large chunks, set them aside

Chop up your Onion then saute in your Instant pot with some oil (Veg or Olive is fine)

When your Onions start to brown, pour in your chicken stock, Potatoes and Broccoli

Put the lid on and cook on high pressure and temp for 10 minutes.

While its cooking, on a stove top place your corn with butter and cook it with some Paprika and the optional crushed dried chilies until it looks roasted. Put it aside

When the Instant Pot is done release the pressure and check if the Potatoes are soft. If they are proceed to use a hand Blender or mixer to merge all the ingredients into a nice green soup mixture.

When all blended add the Velveeta Cheese and mix again.

When all mixed add Salt and pepper to taste, and then the bacon and Corn and stir with spoon.

Optional: Use some kitchen scissors or knife and cut some tiny Broccoli florets and add them in for texture. If added while the soup is hot they will cook quickly.

Eat it

• 3 weeks later...

Another soup type dish I made this week which is similar to the one above:

MrJoseCuervo's Curry Carrot Chicken

Ingredients:

1-2 Chicken Breasts shredded (Or cubbed)

3 Large Potatoes or 8-10 of those Little Red ones

4 Cups Chicken Stock or equivalent liquid product

2 1/2 Pounds of Carrots whole carrots a chopped into large chunks

1 Onion

1/2 Cup Lentils

1/2 cup Chick Peas (I used Dried)

Crushed Dried Chilies (Optional but recommended!)

Pepper

Salt

Curry Powder

Turmeric

1 can of creamed soup (I used Cream of Roasted Garlic but Coconut milk is great too.)

1 tbl spoon of chopped Ginger

1 tbl spoon Minced Garlic

Cook Up your Chicken and shred it (or cube it) , Set it aside

Clean and chop the potatoes into large chunks, set them aside

Chop up your Onion then saute in your Instant pot with some oil (Veg or Olive is fine)

When your Onions start to brown, Throw in the garlic, ginger and carrots and saute for 1 min

Add your chicken stock, Potatoes

Put the lid on and cook on high pressure and temp for 12 minutes.

When the Instant Pot is done release the pressure and check if the Potatoes are soft. If they are proceed to use a hand Blender or mixer to merge all the ingredients into a nice orange soup mixture.

When all blended add the Lentils and Chick Peas, close the lid and cook on High Temp and Pressure for 10 min.

When Complete add your Salt, Turmeric and Curry to taste. add one can of your cream of whatever soup, Chicken and Crushed Chilies and stir with spoon.

Optional: Some sriracha sauce to taste if you want some kick.

Eat it over rice,

Now for the second time I'm saying to myself ... "I gotta GoogleMap the route to Jose's place and figure out what time I need to get up to make it by supper".

Wish I had something to share that doesn't fall into the category of one of my "one pot wonders" whose only redeeming feature is ease and speed of preparation.

Both of these dishes can take less than 40 minutes with the instant pot.

Cooking chicken in the pot - 8 minutes.

Prepping - 10 minutes (doing it while the chicken cooks makes this only add 2 minutes to the total time)

Saute the onions and carrots - 5 min

Cooking the ingredients - 20

Best thing is you only dirty up the pot and a couple knives.

Both dishes above serve 7-8 people and can be frozen in portions for later.

And most important..Its Cheap and delicious!

Are you saying I'm not invited over Jose ... hope that isn't so, I'll be crushed.

Sourcing a pressure cooker in the midst of the current situation will probably be problematic, but that won't stop me from reading and dreaming of better days.

Although most of the gamer basement dwellers on this site are probably the safest covid19 free portion of the population, social distancing guidelines prevent guests.

LOL ... to crib a line from L.J. in Resident Evil: Apocalypse "See ... I haven't been bitten or anything" but I do understand your adherence to proper protocols.

And just for clarity ... the basement at the Striker Manor is far too cold an environment for these old bones in the non-summer months (even the gaming room could use more heat ... do you need to turn up the thermosat for that to happen??). This summer may well turn out to be the first in over a decade that the hapless Striker is forced to endure at the non-airconditioned Striker Manor (always opted for the fresh breezes of the North Channel aboard the yacht the SS "Old Girl"). Could be the gaming room will migrate, and Striker could join the ranks of the Basement Dwellers in the coming months.

Who is in charge of the Census of the Basement Dwellers, so I can report my change of status when the time arrives?

Edited by Striker879

I thought I would make Chili Verde the other night... I wound up making Slow Cooker Chili Pork(?). It took about 7 hours and I'm surprised it came out as good as it did. This is a pretty flexible recipe. We had:

- a slow cooker of medium size. A large pot will work too but you'll have to carefully get things just under a simmer, too hot and the pork will be really tough.

- a pork shoulder (3lbs, bone in)

- one half jar of really great red salsa

- one third jar really great green salsa

- one red bellpepper, one green bellpepper (or any combination of similar peppers)

- one white onion half

- 2 cups broth of any kind (powdered, cubed or liquid)

- 3 or 4 garlic cloves

- one small can of kidney beans, or any kind of bean except green

- Corriander (as a replacement for cilantro)

- salt, pepper, cumin

- flour

- cooking oil

-corn or flour tortillas (optional)

So, i don't really know how to cook but I'm a natural it seems and I often create happy accidents. This was one of them - it obviously isn't Chili Verde, but it came out about as good.

1. Preheat an oven or toaster oven to around 450

2. Cube up the pork. If you have a bone in shoulder, which I recommend i guess, get it off the bone as best you can and then season whats left (on the bone) with black pepper, chili powder... whatever seems good

3. Peel the garlic and chop up the onion into large quarters and put all this on an oven pan. Put the shoulder bone you have on a separate pan, or the same one I guess. Roast all this in the oven for a while, maybe 10 minutes.

4. Mix about 1/3 cup flour with black pepper, salt and chili powder if you have it. Toss the pork cubes in this mixture until they're coated. Use a collander or something to get rid of the excess flour.

5. Take the roasted stuff out of the oven if you haven't already. Place the shoulder bone into the middle of your slow cooker and turn it to "LOW". High will ruin this. For a pot, just let it sit for the moment I guess. Don't forget to turn the oven off.

6. Put a good amount of oil (enough to coat the bottom and still have a small amount pool on the side) into a big pan, preferably a cast iron pan. Get it pretty warm.. not too hot though or you might accidentally overcook the pork cubes. If it's way too hot then just tumble the pork around at hyperspeed and get it out as fast as possible onto a plate or something.

7. Brown all the pork - you might need to do this in batches. You can either lightly brown it like me, or brown it a little deeper like I wish I had. After you have it all browned, put it into the slow cooker or pot (try not to get too much of the cooking oil in with it).

8. Put your onion, garlic cloves, whatever salsa you have, a pretty good amount of corriander and cumin, and 2 cups of broth into a blender and blend it severely. No need to puree, but make sure the large onion chunks are now very small. Pour this into the slow cooker or pot. It will look a little brown.. this is normal and fun. **make sure the lid goes on and doesn't come of except for brief moments to add stuff**

8a. If your using a pot, you need to carefully get it to just under simmering. Turn the heat up until it simmers, then turn it down until it just stops simmering but is still too hot to actually taste or eat, then let it sit that way. I think this will work but I'm not sure and your times may be different than below.

9. Let it cook this way for a while, maybe a couple hours, then put the beans in and stir them around. At this point you can probably test for seasoning... I used a good amount of salt and a medium amount of black pepper.

10. After about 5 or 6 hours, dice up the bell pepper or whatever pepper you have and add that in.

11. Keep it going for another hour or two.. the pork should be extremely tender... It may be done just a little bit after you add the bell pepper. At any rate just taste the pork and if it's good to go then your ready to eat!

Corn tortillas go really great with this. I tried to steam them in a double boiler type thing which made them mushy.. I think the microwave and a wet cloth or paper towel would also work. I don't know what to call this but I'm pretty glad i made it. Sorry if this recipe is impossible to follow... I don't know what I'm doing obviously. The boyfriend pointed out that we can use the leftover bone to make split pea soup, which we will probably.

EDIT: typos, clarity, etc

Edited by ExoKallum

Although most of the gamer basement dwellers on this site are probably the safest covid19 free portion of the population, social distancing guidelines prevent guests.

Who is in charge of the Census of the Basement Dwellers, so I can report my change of status when the time arrives?

Simply fill out the prescribed forms and bury them at least 1 but no more than 3 feet beneath the mean surface of that open place nearest to your dwelling! I'm alarmed such an old campaigner should forget this prescription! ..but alas - many great lineages pass into comfortable dotage before need of their wisdom is set aside. Anyhow, cheers my friend!

Simply fill out the prescribed forms and bury them at least 1 but no more than 3 feet beneath the mean surface of that open place nearest to your dwelling! I'm alarmed such an old campaigner should forget this prescription! ..but alas - many great lineages pass into comfortable dotage before need of their wisdom is set aside. Anyhow, cheers my friend!

ROTFLMAO ... you been peekin' in my window?? You have me nailed to a T!!

- Edit - Nice recipe ... I'll be around at noon for lunch (should I bring my collection of heels from the bread loaves for toast??).

Edited by Striker879