Doing research, a question about Dunmer.

Relativelybest

Actually, I think this would be doing it kinda backwards. Since this is a matter of character design, it would make more sense to decide on her appearance first and then use that to conclude where she comes from.

We take very different approaches when designing characters then. For me i design their history first, and shape their appearance around that.

As for Chitin... It doesn't really resemble anything... Except Bonemould, which is a more advanced form of it (Bonemould is to Chitin what Steel is to Iron).

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/File:MW_ChitinArmor.jpg

As you can see, it doesn't resemble anything in Skyrim.

chitin is formed from crabshell, or "hides" from the dessert beetles, or both... bonemold is formed from bones and flesh or so i've heard. and chitin is light armor, monemold is medium, so that would make it heavy in oblivion or skyrim much like orcish armor.

i don't really see how you can call bonemold an advanced form of chitin... or did i misunderstand you?

I admitedly oversimplified things a little in an attempt to make a point.

Chitin is composed of the exoskeletal shells of Morrowind's many large insects. Whether they be Shalk, Nix (which are probably bugs) or Silt Striders, these shells are cut into strips, laminated in layers with insect resin (likely to ensure they maintain their shape) and fitted over leather. This creates a flexable suit of lightweight armour which still maintains some stopping power because blows are distributed against multipul strips of shell. Of course, if Silt Strider is uses, the shells are probably harder than Dwarven or Orichalum.

Anyway, Bonemold is created out of the literal bones of animals and, in some cases, humanoids. Exactly how they do this i don't know (Bone wasn't too much help in that) but the end result is similar. Interlocking plates of laminated skeletal material held together by leather. It's superior quality, made of a superior material, but it's still the same basic thing.

On an interesting note, however, is what Bonemold represents. Between Ancestor Guardians, Ghost Fences and their penchant for Necromantic Guardians, the Dunmer are both highly reverant of, and willing to utilise their dead ancestors. I wouldn't be surprised if high-ranking House Nobles litterally wear their dead ancestors. The use of humanoid remains may also help explain why Bonemold has a higher enchantment potential than other, like-grade materials such as Orichalum and Mithril.

Ah, sorry, i thought you meant aesthetically... In which case Chitin doesn't even slightyl resemble Elven armour.

Since Morrowind is governed by its Great Houses, and up until the end of the 3rd era the Tribunal Temple, and all the Great Houses (known) along with the Temple use varriations of Bonemold, i would say it's Bonemold rather than Chitin which is characteristic of the Dunmer.

Ah, sorry, i thought you meant aesthetically... In which case Chitin doesn't even slightyl resemble Elven armour.

Since Morrowind is governed by its Great Houses, and up until the end of the 3rd era the Tribunal Temple, and all the Great Houses (known) along with the Temple use varriations of Bonemold, i would say it's Bonemold rather than Chitin which is characteristic of the Dunmer.

I was under the impression that bonemold was expensive and mostly just used by the nobility, with chitin being a cheaper (and presumably more common) alternative.

Not that I would mind some kind of bonemold approach - in fact it might be easier for what I have in mind. I haven't found a good picture of the Dragonborn chitin armors so far, but from what I've seen, I'm not sure I like them.

I was under the impression that bonemold was expensive and mostly just used by the nobility, with chitin being a cheaper (and presumably more common) alternative.

Well, you have to bear in mind that some Bonemold armour is ancient, handed down through generations, which makes it more common than its cost would generally allow. The Houses also are the primary military force in Morrowind, outfiting the soldiers and mercenaries in the same way the Legion has a 'standard' unform it supplies its troops. The more wealth house members, however, would typically wear more exotic armours, such as Ebony, Adamantium (which is unique to Morrowind, as far as i know) and Daedric. Dwarven was also rather common amongst House nobels and their retainers in Morrowind, dispite the trade in Dwemer artifacts being illegal at the time (the Dunmer have never really been much for imperial law).

The wealth easilay gathered by adventurers (who don't die in their first foray) would also be enough to push them from lower quality armours towards Bonemold.

However, Bonemold is still primarily a House-related armour set. The Ashlanders, for instance, do not typically use it, but rather wear leather, either from their Guar herds or Netch. Chitin is a higher grade armour worn mostly by tribe warriors, with, usually, only the Chief and his counclers having bits and pieces of Bonemold.

Considering you are looking at a former wealthy individual, even if they have lost most of that wealth, Bonemold would still be something they would have, at some point, had access to. Still, by far the most common and easily accessable armour in Morrowind would have been, just like everywhere else, Leather.

Well, you have to bear in mind that some Bonemold armour is ancient, handed down through generations, which makes it more common than its cost would generally allow. The Houses also are the primary military force in Morrowind, outfiting the soldiers and mercenaries in the same way the Legion has a 'standard' unform it supplies its troops. The more wealth house members, however, would typically wear more exotic armours, such as Ebony, Adamantium (which is unique to Morrowind, as far as i know) and Daedric. Dwarven was also rather common amongst House nobels and their retainers in Morrowind, dispite the trade in Dwemer artifacts being illegal at the time (the Dunmer have never really been much for imperial law).

The wealth easilay gathered by adventurers (who don't die in their first foray) would also be enough to push them from lower quality armours towards Bonemold.

However, Bonemold is still primarily a House-related armour set. The Ashlanders, for instance, do not typically use it, but rather wear leather, either from their Guar herds or Netch. Chitin is a higher grade armour worn mostly by tribe warriors, with, usually, only the Chief and his counclers having bits and pieces of Bonemold.

Considering you are looking at a former wealthy individual, even if they have lost most of that wealth, Bonemold would still be something they would have, at some point, had access to. Still, by far the most common and easily accessable armour in Morrowind would have been, just like everywhere else, Leather.

Hm, this clears things up a lot, actually. Thanks.