importing meshes, scale problems ...

Good evening everybody ...

I was just trying to get actual "architecture" into FO4 (not just meshes for misc items where the scale does not matter too much ... ) but I keep having weird issues:

My basic thought process was this:

1 "CK unit" = 9/16 inch (source: https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Unit )

So I made a doorway that is 78 3/4 inches high ( = 140 units or about 1.9992 m ) and 36 inches wide ( = 64 units or about 0,91392 m ).

That should be large enough to walk through (maybe not in PowerArmour, but that does not matter .. ).

All of the (relevant) distances are in multiples of 9/16 inch (1 Unit) so that I can place furniture and doors easier in the CK (with the snap to grid thing).

I exportet that mesh as a .obj file and imported that obj file into 3DSMAX 2013.

There I put on a basic white texture and a collision (that part works) and exported it as nif.

Then I run it through Elric to get the texture to actually work in-game.

After that I made a new static object and placed it in a cell.

When i teleport into that cell, this is how it looks:

73722383-1586298333.png

As you can see, the doorway is much too small ...

Does anybody know how to get "correctly scaled" meshes into the game?

Because I eventually want to make meshes that can be "snapped" together and if I can't get the scale right, that won't work properly ...

There is a "scale" setting when importing obj files into 3DSMAX, but I don't really know what to set that to ...

I have no problem with scale using 3DS Max. I don't know how many inches one "unit" in game is, but I know that one "balcony" floor (the smallest ones in the workshop) is 128x128 large.

If you create/import your object in to 3Ds Max and then use official tools to export it in to Nif file Fallout 4 can use, one unit in 3DS Max will equal one unit in CK/Fallout 4. You shouldn't have any scale issues there.

So my guess is that you got your inches to units ratio wrong. As far as I can tell, ratio is approximately 1 unit = 10mm. For example distance (height) between shack floor and ceiling is 198 units. If you take average human height of 1700 mm, then scale indeed must be somewhere around 1unit : 10mm. Or 1unit : 1 cm.

Moreover you should be able to detect that already in 3DS max -your model will be too small.

Edited by hruza

Ohhh ...

So when I export the mesh as nif from 3DSMAX, 1 "3dsmax unit" will be 1 "Creation kit unit"?

So if I want to make something 256 "units" long i have to make it 256 "units" long in 3DSMAX (no matter what unit is currently set in 3DSMAX: inches, meters, ... )?

Thanks for that, that helped a lot!

So I don't have to try to figure all of this unit conversion stuff out, I can just make the mesh for example with all the dimensions in inch and the exporting as nif will make all the units into "Creation Kit units".

Don't know if I correctly explained it, but I think I now understand this!

Thank you very much!!!!!

<3

And yes, 1 unit is (as far as I can tell) 9/16 inch, that is 1,429 cm.

Ohhh ...

So when I export the mesh as nif from 3DSMAX, 1 "3dsmax unit" will be 1 "Creation kit unit"?

So if I want to make something 256 "units" long i have to make it 256 "units" long in 3DSMAX (no matter what unit is currently set in 3DSMAX: inches, meters, ... )?

Exactly.

Ok, so I just tried that and it works !!!!1

Thank you so very very very much!

You do not know what power you have just given me!

Now I can CREATE ANYTHING!!!! SO MUCH POWER!!!!

:laugh:

(I was having headaches all day and have not really slept at all last night, but now I am full of energy and motivation! )

Edited by YouDoNotKnowMyName