Sideways Custom Hat\Helmet?

DrPepper715

Hello,

So in the GECK I made a Helmet that has custom meshes and textures and the mesh is a remake of the Combat Helmet. Everything looks fine but when I preview it in the GECK on an NPC it is sideways and same with the helmet In game. I Tried the Update FaceGen model availability thing and it did absolutely nothing. :wallbash: Anyway for me to fix this?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

DrPepper715 - Hello!

Sounds like you need an .egm file, they are used to place hats correctly.

If it's just a re-textured combat helmet, you can use the combat helmet's .egm file.

Extract the combat helmet .egm file from the Fallout 3 meshes .bsa, rename it to whatever your helmet is called & place it in the same folder as your helmet mesh.

So you end up with something like:

YourHelmet.nif

&

YourHelmet.egm

You already mentioned the other step of Update FaceGen in the GECK but make sure you save your mod after doing that or nothing will change. :)

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa

DrPepper715 - Hello!

Sounds like you need an .egm file, they are used to place hats correctly.

If it's just a re-textured combat helmet, you can use the combat helmet's .egm file.

Extract the combat helmet .egm file from the Fallout 3 meshes .bsa, rename it to whatever your helmet is called & place it in the same folder as your helmet mesh.

So you end up with something like:

YourHelmet.nif

&

YourHelmet.egm

You already mentioned the other step of Update FaceGen in the GECK but make sure you save your mod after doing that or nothing will change. :)

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Thanks for the help Prensa. I already had the right files I just had to fix something in FO3 edit. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
I am also having this issue, specifically with a combat helmet. I followed both sets of instructions, one for the FaceGen and now the .egm file. It didn't make a bit of difference for me, and now the regular, unchanged helmets are doing the same thing. Is there another solution I can use that might fix it?

ColonelRick - Hello!

"I am also having this issue, specifically with a combat helmet. I followed both sets of instructions, one for the FaceGen and now the .egm file. It didn't make a bit of difference for me, and now the regular, unchanged helmets are doing the same thing. Is there another solution I can use that might fix it?"

Provided you mad no changes other than texture to your combat helmet, you should be able to use the vanilla combat helmet .egm.

Did you remember to rename the vanilla Combat helmet's .egm to match the name of your helmet exactly? Otherwise it won't work.

After that you Update FaceGen in GECK & save your mod.

"and now the regular, unchanged helmets are doing the same thing"

That can happen with the Update FaceGen, it updates all headgear & stores it in your mod.

You can edit your mod with FO3Edit & remove all enteries to other hats, leaving only yours.

If you did change the vanilla mesh for your new helmet, you will need to make a custom .egm for it using The Conformulator:

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/9360

There's a headgear toutorial on how to use that here:

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Headgear_tutorial

Hope this helps!

Prensa