Texture Help[

charwo

I have been toying with porting graphics and such from Fallout 3 mods, but have hit a significant snag:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/6543/psychadelictree.png

This tree mesh below was ported from the BA Wasteland Restoration mod, where it looks, less psychedelic. The wrong imagery goes back and forth to different things: street signs, posters, any number of flicking wrongness. I'm not sure why. All I did was take this mesh files and copy it from my Fallout 3 data to Fallout New Vegas. Why this is doing this....odd thing, I don't have a clue.

How do I fix this and is this going to be a problem for other mesh ports?

Perhaps because Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3 are different games and contain different resources, FNV may not contain the textures you need for those meshes.

Here you go.

The flickering means that the mesh is referencing a texture that doesn't exist.

In this case, if all you did was cut => paste a .nif from a Fo3 data folder to a FNV data folder, then the parent directory for the .nif you copied is still going to be referencing a texture contained in the Fallout 3 parent data folder.

The GECK is not robust enough to be able to handle the properties of the resources it handles except at a very superficial level, which is why we use Nifskope.

Edited by TrickyVein

NifSkope allows users not savvy in using hex-editors to change the properties of base objects for the game. The .nif for a static world object, for instance typically contains the following:

BSFadeNode

- NiTriStrips

- BSShaderPPLightingProperty

- BSShaderTextureSet

- Here is where textures for the nitristrips are located. You may edit their parent directories.

The documentation which comes with the utility is quite extensive. You'll find out how most .nifs are put together if you spend enough time looking at different ones.

• 2 weeks later...
I've tried looking at stuff. This doesn't make a goddamn bit of sense. No documentation came with mine, well nothing that explains this. I would need someone to explain the entire structure of this program to even begin to make sense of what I'm doing. Think of it this way: you know the person who can't, literally can't put a puzzle together until the entire border has been assembled? I'm like that, no I AM that person. Until I know the limits of a system I can't feel my way through practical operations. I don't get this, and I'm not going to get it buy trial and error.