Mudbox and OBJ files

bDeferredShadows

I've exported the Armun-An bonemould armor from morrowind to sculpt it over in mudbox and update it for Skyrim as a little learning project for myself.

I've imported it into Maya and done some mesh cleaning, exported as a single mesh and imported into mudbox to begin sculpting. However, upon subdividing, the model becomes torn and seams show up everywhere.

I'm kind of losing my mind over it. I don't know what else to do!

The fact that I can't do a simple operation has me determined to figure it out.

0 Subdivision

http://i50.tinypic.com/33p3qzs.jpg

1 Subdivision

http://i45.tinypic.com/14dq0eh.jpg

Edited by bDeferredShadows

Probably the mesh was made up of several parts. In maya, try moving some vertices where the tears appear. If they split, then you need to weld all disconnected vertices. This is what I noticed about some meshes in Skyrim. Never tried Morrowind though. Edited by asdgora

Probably the mesh was made up of several parts. In maya, try moving some vertices where the tears appear. If they split, then you need to weld all disconnected vertices. This is what I noticed about some meshes in Skyrim. Never tried Morrowind though.

Freaky fast reply, thanks. Is there any quick (one click magic) that automatically joins vertices in Maya?

Well, got it sorted. Thanks again. I assumed the obj file I exported from maya would be a single mesh which was automatically one piece, rather than having seams.

http://i47.tinypic.com/11j9mpj.jpg

Edited by bDeferredShadows

I had seams appering in a mesh in Sculptris (no money for MudBox^^) once along UV seams. So if your verts are all connected you may want to check that and remove the UV mapping from the mesh.

As for joining verts Blender (again no money ;) ) does it, so I would be more than surprised if Maya didn't.

In Blender it's Mesh -> Vertices -> remove doubles Maybe it's called something similar?

Edit: Hey, you ninja-edited your post! :D

Glad it works and a shame you won't be uploading it.

Edited by Grimoa

I had seams appering in a mesh in Sculptris (no money for MudBox^^) once along UV seams. So if your verts are all connected you may want to check that and remove the UV mapping from the mesh.

As for joining verts Blender (again no money ;) ) does it, so I would be more than surprised if Maya didn't.

In Blender it's Mesh -> Vertices -> remove doubles Maybe it's called something similar?

Edit: Hey, you ninja-edited your post! :D

Glad it works and a shame you won't be uploading it.

I would love to upload the armor all tricked out for Skyrim but I am not sure of the legal implications. Where do they draw the line? If I made the armor from scratch it is only a few steps more than importing and subdividing then sculpting it.

So, I've moved onto the helmet and problems have risen again.

Mudbox happily imports the model from blender (I actually like it's vertex merger better, thank you!) but complains about the T shapes. I clean in Maya and the model begins exploding and tearing apart again as seen with the pauldron.

Is there a clean mesh function in blender that removes nonmanifold shapes? Google is not cooperating :\

I am not sure of the legal implications. Where do they draw the line?

Nah, best not get anyone upset and yourself banned. Not worth it. Keep the armor for yourself! :)

Is there a clean mesh function in blender that removes nonmanifold shapes? Google is not cooperating :\

Nooooo idea. I had to google what non-manifold means and I don't think I encountered non-manifold meshes so far. Or at least I didn't have problens with them. :huh:

You don't want to sculpt on triangles, its messy, you want nice even quads.

If that is the problem: Mesh -> Faces -> Convert Triangles to Quads

If i can tell you..nope, the only things that I can suggest you is to restart with a low poly model based on quad face (you can try the Tris to Quad command by pressing the spacebar and typing "Tris to Quad" on Edit Mode, but it doesn't work for all the polyfaces), or pay attenction to the double vertex (you can always clean your topology with spacebar, then type "remove doubles" always in edit mode) and before the export operation flip the normals (again, space the type "flip normals"), do all that if the model it's to complex;

Some hints:

For an helm start with a cilinder mesh and subdivide at last 4 time with the ring operation (Ctrl+r), don't use the normal subdivide operation, it'll add to much vertex that you'll need, then start to model roughly your idea by move the few vertex, after that export it with the UV on Mudbox and start your work by subdividing your model for the sculpting;

An other way to prevent this problems is by make the rough model with the extrude (press E by selecting a face, a vertex or a edge) operation, more easy way and intuitive too.

Blender it's a little bit frustrating for the first times and the sculpting require more resource then Mudbox or Z-Brush, but i love it.

Aww I almost forgot (I was near the bed after the last cigaret lol) try the Edge Split operation after a vertex cleaning :tongue:

Edited by darkgondul