Mudbox and OBJ files

bDeferredShadows

When using Maya's clean function, do it step by step, don't check all the boxes at once. It's best to understand what's actually wrong with the mesh, cleanup isn't perfect either, especially if you opt to re-weld all the vertices afterwards.

If that is the problem: Mesh -> Faces -> Convert Triangles to Quads

This won't really work in this case, since the mesh is down so low. It doesn't have the topology to fully support a sculpt-friendly model.

Is there a clean mesh function in blender that removes nonmanifold shapes? Google is not cooperating :\

If i can tell you..nope, the only things that I can suggest you is to restart with a low poly model based on quad face (you can try the Tris to Quad command by pressing the spacebar and typing "Tris to Quad" on Edit Mode, but it doesn't work for all the polyfaces), or pay attenction to the double vertex (you can always clean your topology with spacebar, then type "remove doubles" always in edit mode) and before the export operation flip the normals (again, space the type "flip normals"), do all that if the model it's to complex;

Some hints:

For an helm start with a cilinder mesh and subdivide at last 4 time with the ring operation (Ctrl+r), don't use the normal subdivide operation, it'll add to much vertex that you'll need, then start to model roughly your idea by move the few vertex, after that export it with the UV on Mudbox and start your work by subdividing your model for the sculpting;

An other way to prevent this problems is by make the rough model with the extrude (press E by selecting a face, a vertex or a edge) operation, more easy way and intuitive too.

Blender it's a little bit frustrating for the first times and the sculpting require more resource then Mudbox or Z-Brush, but i love it.

Aww I almost forgot (I was near the bed after the last cigaret lol) try the Edge Split operation after a vertex cleaning :tongue:

I started off creating models. I was just hoping I could simply export objects from morrowind nif files, run them through maya and into mudbrush with relative ease. I've literally been at this since this morning before posting this thread. I am at wits end trying to keep this helmet from randomly generating T shapes and unwelded vertices which rip apart upon sculpting.

At this point maya will export the object with no unwelded vertices but with T shapes. Or it will produce unwelded vertices without T shapes. The unwelded vertices are always in the same exact area. I have tried every combination of checkboxes, manual welding and *explodes* I am flabbergasted.

This tiny little mesh is insurmountable.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2079udl.png

I just slathered some textures on the cuirass. As you can see issues are abound in this model too but that's ok. I will be recreating the Hlaalu Guard armor from scratch beginning tomorrow to avoid all this nonsense. All the help is much appreciated.

Edited by bDeferredShadows

What do you mean by T-shapes?

I know little about Mudbox, but speaking generically about export processes, verts might be split because of:

materials, faces facing the wrong way, uv seams and hard edges.

None of those really make sense for going into sculpting except inverted faces.

There's a few specific cases where Maya will create "bad" vertices, like when using bridge, one fix is to unweld problem areas, then re-select all the new verts and weld. So, I guess try that? If you'd like, PM me a copy of the mesh and I can take a look.

edit: looking again at your first pictures, splits seem to happen at hard edges, try setting them all to smooth before sending them over.

Edited by throttlekitty

I know little about Mudbox, but speaking generically about export processes, verts might be split because of:

There's a few specific cases where Maya will create "bad" vertices, like when using bridge, one fix is to unweld problem areas, then re-select all the new verts and weld. So, I guess try that? If you'd like, PM me a copy of the mesh and I can take a look.

edit: looking again at your first pictures, splits seem to happen at hard edges, try setting them all to smooth before sending them over.

A T shape is when a face joins an object much like the shape of a capital T. This is a form of nonmanifold geometry.

I will upload and link a few variants of the file to you because I do not know what information is carried over in a OBJ file vs say a maya binary file.

A T shape is when a face joins an object much like the shape of a capital T. This is a form of nonmanifold geometry.

I will upload and link a few variants of the file to you because I do not know what information is carried over in a OBJ file vs say a maya binary file.

Ah, right. don't weld those :P

Y'know, come to think of it, a .mb or .ma would work just fine.

I started off creating models. I was just hoping I could simply export objects from morrowind nif files, run them through maya and into mudbrush with relative ease. I've literally been at this since this morning before posting this thread. I am at wits end trying to keep this helmet from randomly generating T shapes and unwelded vertices which rip apart upon sculpting.

At this point maya will export the object with no unwelded vertices but with T shapes. Or it will produce unwelded vertices without T shapes. The unwelded vertices are always in the same exact area. I have tried every combination of checkboxes, manual welding and *explodes* I am flabbergasted.

This tiny little mesh is insurmountable.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2079udl.png

I just slathered some textures on the cuirass. As you can see issues are abound in this model too but that's ok. I will be recreating the Hlaalu Guard armor from scratch beginning tomorrow to avoid all this nonsense. All the help is much appreciated.

Morrowind models, or better, original bethesda models are broke as hell, i tried to had some friendly approach with their a couple of times, but they are full of dirty points, imho it's a waste of time, you'll spend much more time to correct the original model then to create a totaly new one by using the original as image or idea reference;

But if you don't want to lost your work you can use some "tricks" to identify the future topology problems, for example you can, on Blender, use the modifier Subdivision Surface to detect the incoherence between the vertexes, more it's high the Subdivision level, more are clear the errors, or after an high level setting you can give a roughly hand in sculpt mode by using the Smooth brush all over the model, it'll highlights th topology problems, after that cut the model in two parts and delete one of them, correct the less broken part and use the Mirror modifier after the correction work;

These are little suggestions that i can tell you, isn't a lot and i'm sorry for that, but as you know experiences are made it by attempts, it's all matter of passion in this ambit, keep on and sorry for the bad english, isn't my native linguage, may you've a nice day. :wink:

My suggestion is to start a new mesh from scratch. Trying to update morrowind models is not a good idea, since they have such a low poly count and have rough forms. In addition, textures would have to be completely updated so there is really no point in working from a Morrowind model. You can get away with it in Oblivion because it is a new model but the Morrowind ones are just too old.

I mainly use Blender and Zbrush now so I am sorry that I cant offer any opinions on fixing your mesh in Mudbox though I do know that if you do not address seams before exporting the models to a different program with an obj they will be messed up after the import process. Again, its better just to start from scratch.

Hope this helps^^.

-Natterforme