M2 heavy machine gun.

Bean0

You guys know my stance on adding new ammos to the game (mostly because I annoy so many of you about it). Generally I think if we add some new ammo we need to have at very least two weapons to fire it out of. So seeing the Barrett M84 thread and how it work does seem to be underway I got an idea. I also think someone already suggested it but I can't recall who and I don't think they made a thread.

What if along with the M82 (or after it's released, it doesn't particularly matter) we followed it up with a Browning M2 or "Ma Deuce" machine gun. This gun was basically what the .50 BMG was originally designed for. It's used in aircraft or on vehicle mounts. It's too heavy to be really useful as a handheld weapon but then again so is the minigun so I guess we should just run with it anyway. I am also asking that we make a version that's modified and mass-produced by super-mutants as a weapon to be used alongside their 5mm miniguns, it should have a slightly shorter barrel to reduce weight and there should be a grip the top of it's receiver similar to the minigun's interface, I imagine it would also be somewhat possible to have the same animations. It would soot much slower than your standard minigun and with less accuracy, it would also weigh twice as much but one or two hits would be enough to take down most targets (so stopping power would only be slightly lower than that of the .50 sniper)

Now this would kill two birds with one stone. It would give players a decent supply of .50 ammo for their new sniper rifle without making it too easy to get and it would give them a new challenge to face in the wasteland. It would also diversify the kinds of weapons we're adding to the game, whereas so far all we have done is added pistols and rifles we will also be moving on to some of the heavier weaponry as well. It would also stay pretty close to the Fallout cannon because I recall that the M2 did make appearances in Tactics (which although it's not officially canonized, I consider it close enough).

Well the M2 isn't really designed to be fired without being mounted to something. Having gun emplacements could be cool. I guess you could rig one up so it could be carried and fired, but you'd have to be he-man or a super mutant. In any case I guess it'd just be a matter of whether it was worth wasting the precious ammo like that...

I do find it rather odd that so much ammo is around 200 years after the fall of modern civilization. Maybe the first thing that should be modded is the plot. :rolleyes:

It's too heavy to be really useful as a handheld weapon

Yep.

Plus the ammo balancing is a HUGE issue. Either you're overfeeding the M82 or there's not enough .50 to make an M2 worthwhile.

Yes, the M2 was in FO:T - but there was also an STR check of 9 and there WASN'T an M82 that ate that ammo.

No STR check + M82 feeding = M2 is a bad idea.

Seriously, you can't find a good medium/light MG like an MG3, HK21, FN-MAG, or PKM that'd fit the game balance and essentially play the same role?

If an M2 was as powerful in-game as it should be, it'd just mow down anything muties, bots, enclave and all with absolutely zero effort. Its already too easy as it is.

Archived