Oblivion player needs advice on what to use/compatability with Fallout

ranoth

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this topic.

I have been playing Oblivion for around 3 years and have a heavily modded game. I am used to using the CS and Wrye Bash as well as OBMM.

This Christmas I will be getting the Oblivion\ Fallout 3 dual pack and so (of course) I will be modding Fallout 3. I wanted the dual pack mainly so I had a backup disc for Oblivion, and I have always wanted to try the Fallout games.

Quick question on the dual pack I am getting. Is it just the base game of Fallout 3 or does it have all the DLC?

The advice I need is as follows ...

1. Can I run Fallout and all the mod managers needed for it on the same computer as my Oblivion setup with out any problems?

2. What are the "core" mods and programs needed to mod Fallout 3?

* I can not use NMM as my rig is not on-line.

3. The order of modding that I ran with Oblivion was-

-All programs and managers needed to mod the game. This included all patches, official and unofficial.

-Interface and UI mods

-world mods that dealt with textures and light etc.

-player character mods, textures,skins,etc.

-world mods that added homes, stores , new towns and the like.

-quest mods

-any clothes, armor, weapons, mounts etc.

I depended heavily on the Oblivion modding community since Oblivion was the first game I every really modded, so any advice you guys and gals could give me would be great.

Modding is very much about personal likes and dislikes and I understand that. What I really want is a good starting foundation so that I can jump into the world of Fallout and stay for several years.

That is when I am not in Tamriel! :)

Thanks again for any advice you have. I am off to read more pinned topics. ;)

ranoth - Hello!

I can't answer everything but I'll have a go at some.

"Quick question on the dual pack I am getting. Is it just the base game of Fallout 3 or does it have all the DLC?"

I can't swear to it but from what I could find ion a Google search & if it's the same Double pack, no DLC's as they are not the GOTY versions.

"1. Can I run Fallout and all the mod managers needed for it on the same computer as my Oblivion setup with out any problems?"

Yes. I have OBMM (Oblivion Mod Manager) installed for my Oblivion game & "Old" FOMM (Fallout 3 Mod Manager) installed for Fallout 3. Both of those programs run independently of each other & thus have no affect on each other.

Now NMM can be used for both games, since I don't use NMM I can't advise on that though.

Information on that can be found here:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/461453-using-fomm-or-obmm/

"2. What are the "core" mods and programs needed to mod Fallout 3?

* I can not use NMM as my rig is not on-line. "

As I say, I don't use NMM but I'm pretty sure you don't have to be on line to use it. Certainly you don't have to be online to use either "Old" or "New" FOMM from which NMM is derived.

As to core mods, that really depends on you. My main "big" choices would be:

DCInteriors Project

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/5573

Fixes one of the biggest things lacking in Fallout 3, not enugh explorable interiors. DCInteriors Project sorts that out & in great style. Tons of new building interiors to explore & loot each lovingly brought to life & all in keeping with Fallout 3's "feel".

Marts Mutant Mod - RC 62

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/3211

Greatly expands the enemies & creatures you encounter adding new ones & variety to existing ones. MMM can also be set to change AI behaviour, spawn quantities, & many other things. Most features are customisable so you can tailor this to your own tastes.

A weather mod will liven up the game no end. After Oblivion, I really missed rain in Fallout 3. :)

Either Enhanced Weather:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/6170

Or for a greater range of weather patterns, Dynamic Weather by Xepha:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/10607

Fallout Street Lights, brings the lamp posts & other lights to life providing atmosphere at night:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/8069

A good weapons mod would be a good idea too, something to expand the range. Sadly the very best of those is no longer on the Nexus.

I also swear by the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/3808

It's along the same lines as it's Oblivion counterpart & fixes a huge amount of things that were left out by the official patches.

There many, many more mods that are quite fantastic. Too many to list. :)

FO3Edit by ElminsterAU:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/637

Is an incredibly handy tool for tweaking mods, a bit daunting at first but really easy to use once you poke around. It can be used to change settings in mods to your liking, making merged patches to aid compatability, make small "mods" of your own before you get more in depthe with GECK.

" so any advice you guys and gals could give me would be great."

Take note of two of the most common things that affect new users:

(1) Number one is seemingly random freezes that lock the game completely, this is almost always the Multi core freezing bug.

Fallout 3 has trouble with multi core computers, mainly with ones that have more than two cores & use hyperthreading.

There is a fix, you need to edit your Fallout 3 .ini file.

The one you want to change is:

For XP:

My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\

For Vista & Win7:

Documents\My Games\Fallout3

The file you want will be called:

FALLOUT.ini

Open the .ini with Notepad & change this line:

bUseThreadedAI=0

to:

bUseThreadedAI=1

& insert this line under it:

iNumHWThreads=2

Save & close your ini.

(2) The second one is Archive invalidation, as a user of Oblivion you're probably aware of this.

Fallout 3, just like Oblivion before it, will ignore any newly added textures sitting in the Data files. You must take care of archive invalidation to ensure it takes note of them or you end up with strange chameleon like mod items. :)

Simple solution to that is to download & activate:

ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=944

Or, if you use FOMM, click on Toggle Invalidation on the right.

For "New" FOMM you have to go to the buttons at the top & select:

Tools - Archive Invalidation

NMM has a built in Archive Invalidation too.

DON'T USE BOTH METHODS TOGETHER.

Note FOMM/NMM's version often needs to be toggled off & then back on again when you add in a new mod.

I have that in a notepad for cutting & pasting in as it crops up so often. :)

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Thank you Prensa !

Wow, a lot of good info. The type of stuff it could take a while to figure out on my own.

Is there any DLC that is considered "must have" for modding purposes?

I really am grateful for your help and if anyone else has any advice feel free to add it.

:)

ranoth - Hello!

"Is there any DLC that is considered "must have" for modding purposes?"

Most mods tend to have any requirement for DLC optional. Additional plugins are made available for those with the DLC's.

That being said it is becoming more common for mods to require the DLC's as well, based on the idea that the DLC's have been out for a while & the GOTY complete package is available & pretty cheap.

There's a lot of fun resources in those DLC's that's very tempting for modders to get their hands on. :)

If you enjoy Fallout 3 I'd definitely recommend the DLC's.

As far as modding purposes go Broken Steel is an obvious one simply because it extends the gameplay past the main quest.

Point Lookout is, in my opinion, the best DLC especially as far as repeat fun goes as it provides a decent sized area to explore & has a great "backwoods" feel. Modding resources are very good too, new creatures & several new kit sets, plants etc..

The Pitt would be a close second with a good Escape from New York vibe & solid story. For modding it's got some new creatures & other goodies.

Mothership Zeta has a lot of cool alien tech plus the aliens themselves. As far as gameplay it's quite linear compared to the above though fun to be in space.

Operation Anchorage was far more fun then I expected a bit more of a combat strategy game so made a fun change. For modding, It provides a lot of clean versions of weapons & winter gear like the balaclova/combat helmet & Gauss rifle wich makes it a fairly common requirement.

Hope this helps!

Prensa