"certain modifications...are not supported"

Redpossum

Hello, everyone! My name is Redpossum, and I have no shame.

I was broke for years, drooling over the Oblivion videos on YouTube, and thinking, "man, when I can afford..."

My finances improved radically about 60 days ago. Now, having gotten the important RL stuff in order, and had time to build myself a fairly robust new computer, I'm down to that point on my To-Do List where it says, "Buy Oblivion, and get that BBB mod and Sexywalk by Murzik and stuff installed".

I'm looking at the Game of the Year Edition of Oblivion, that being seemingly all that's available any more, and it's on sale for cheap at GameFly, but there's a note at the top of the page that concerns me. It says, "Certain modifications that edit the main executable are not supported.". Does this need to concern me? Am I better off searching Amazon for an older version of the game? (Saving money is only incidental here, I mostly want the best results.) Any advice or observations would be most appreciated.

Oh, by the way, I did search for an answer before posting this, and I was informed that the Steam version seems to work fine with mods, but I didn't see an answer to the question above.

modifications that edit the main executable

Mods don't make changes to the exe, they are plugins that indirectly overwrite parts of the main esm or add completely new data.

As far as I'm aware of, only 4GB EXE Patcher modifies the exe to use more than 2GB of RAM.

So I'd say you don't have to worry, if you decide to use 4GB patcher just make a backup of the main exe and you're good to go.

Edited by Werne

Of particular note for you is the question of whether or not you will ever want to use any mods that require OBSE in the future. The only version of the game that is available for download that supports OBSE is Steam. All other downloaded versions (including your GameFly version) will not work with Steam.

That said, the vast majority of recent mods (and by that I mean the last few years) require OBSE. I'd advise that either Steam (perhaps when they have one of their frequent sales) or a used disk copy via Amazon etc. would be your best choice.

To the best of my knowledge, Of any downloadable versions - only the steam works with everything. So my advice - if you want a downloadable version go with steam - we know that one works.

As for getting cheap disks, either by ordering from an on line source or from a flea market type store. I recommend against them as we are seeing cheap pirate copies that are just an iso made from a torrent download that may not work properly, and then packaged with a color printed copy of the insert so it will look like the real thing. :rolleyes:

If you do find a legitimate DVD version - it doesn't matter if it is the newest ver or not as the update is available from the Bethesda website FREE. If you can find a ligit GOTY DVD version - it will have Shivering Isles included and already be the latest version.