ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Npc's Disappearing?

DrPepper715

Hello.

In my mod I placed some NPCs at the front gate of the washington monument (where the BOS soldiers are) and whenever I go to where I placed them they most of the time are gone. When I fast travel there they show up but ...s*** im sorry Im mixing s*** up :rolleyes:

So when they are not there. they are not on my pipboy or on even there at all. :hurr:

This happens when I go to walk to a location from a distance (in one cell I assume). Say from the Capitol Building to the monument. They are gone? even though I saw them when I fast traveled there? Huh? This happens a lot with me even though the NPC fade thing is at high and on the launcher it has my settings set for ultra quality. AND the npc's were placed there using the GECK.

Im not too happy about this. Im releasing this mod in late January and I don't want this to be a Bug :facepalm: :ohdear:

And uh sorry about my mixing up stuff above. Im tired, had a long day at work. :sweat:

I can provide more detail in the comments but PLEASE try to respond to this if you can. Its Killing Me! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :ohdear:

DrPepper715 - Hello!

Like a1stickleback says, what AI packages do these NPC's have?

If you copied & pasted from another NPC you may have left packages on them that make them travel to another location.

Check under "AI Packages" in their NPC window that there are no special packages.

If you're wanting them to wander around there, a default sandbox should work fine.

Also, are you sure they are still alive?

It may be that they are getting killed, the Washington Monument is a real war zone & not much would survive long there. Those armed Brotherhood of Steel often get slaughtered.

If all that fails, use FO3Edit to get their RefID (or grab them in game by clicking on them) then go into the game & when they disappear open the console (by pressing the key under Esc) & type:

player.moveto

Add their RefID to the end of that so it's something like:

player.moveto 000282d4

So you will be moved to where they are ending up.

Could be that they are being scared off & running away.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

DrPepper715 - Hello!

Like a1stickleback says, what AI packages do these NPC's have?

If you copied & pasted from another NPC you may have left packages on them that make them travel to another location.

Check under "AI Packages" in their NPC window that there are no special packages.

If you're wanting them to wander around there, a default sandbox should work fine.

Also, are you sure they are still alive?

It may be that they are getting killed, the Washington Monument is a real war zone & not much would survive long there. Those armed Brotherhood of Steel often get slaughtered.

If all that fails, use FO3Edit to get their RefID (or grab them in game by clicking on them) then go into the game & when they disappear open the console (by pressing the key under Esc) & type:

player.moveto

Add their RefID to the end of that so it's something like:

player.moveto 000282d4

So you will be moved to where they are ending up.

Could be that they are being scared off & running away.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Hey both Prensa and Stickleback. The NPC has a Guard package called DefaultGuardStayATPostion01 Its a package where he stands there and if we wanders off (due to a fight) he will go back to that location. :thumbsup:

Oh and also they are foolhardy and are almost impossible to kill

Edited by DrPepper715

DrPepper715 - Hello!

"The NPC has a Guard package called DefaultGuardStayATPostion01 Its a package where he stands there and if we wanders off (due to a fight) he will go back to that location."

Okay, check the obvious first then, did you remember to link the guard to a DefaultGuardMarker that you placed at the location?

The DefaultGuardMarker can be linked to others to give the NPC a route but the NPC must be linked to at least one of them.

EDIT: I should just clarify that, it does not have to be the DefaultGuardMarker specifically. The NPC can be linked to another type of marker, just as long as it has a linked reference. It's just that the DefaultGuardMarker is very convenient as it's set up already for the job.

A good example of this package in use can be found with:

LvlChineseGhoulDoor

Paste that into GECK's filter in the NPC section, then right click on LvlChineseGhoulDoor & select "Use Info". Double clicking on the MamaDolce listing under "Used in these cells" to take you to the guard & their markers to get a look at the basic setup.

Also, is that the only package your NPC has? As it is possible for scheduled packages to override guard packages during their set times.

If still no joy with any of that, did you try the "player.moveto" suggestion? If so, where did it take you, where are your NPC's ending up if not where you want them?

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa

DrPepper715 - Hello!

"The NPC has a Guard package called DefaultGuardStayATPostion01 Its a package where he stands there and if we wanders off (due to a fight) he will go back to that location."

Okay, check the obvious first then, did you remember to link the guard to a DefaultGuardMarker that you placed at the location?

The DefaultGuardMarker can be linked to others to give the NPC a route but the NPC must be linked to at least one of them.

EDIT: I should just clarify that, it does not have to be the DefaultGuardMarker specifically. The NPC can be linked to another type of marker, just as long as it has a linked reference. It's just that the DefaultGuardMarker is very convenient as it's set up already for the job.

A good example of this package in use can be found with:

LvlChineseGhoulDoor

Paste that into GECK's filter in the NPC section, then right click on LvlChineseGhoulDoor & select "Use Info". Double clicking on the MamaDolce listing under "Used in these cells" to take you to the guard & their markers to get a look at the basic setup.

Also, is that the only package your NPC has? As it is possible for scheduled packages to override guard packages during their set times.

If still no joy with any of that, did you try the "player.moveto" suggestion? If so, where did it take you, where are your NPC's ending up if not where you want them?

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Thanks Prensa, I will try out puttung GuardMarkers down.

Do you possibly have a video or know how to link it up? I took a guess by placing a DefaultGuardMarker down and double clicking on it and going to the Link to tab/Flag. and then I selected the NPC. Does that do it or is there more to it?

Oh hey, that rhymed! :whistling:

Try to let me know if you can :thumbsup:

DrPepper715 - Hello!

That's it but you want to link the NPC to the marker rather than the other way around.

To link your NPC to the DefaultGuardMarker, double click on the NPC in GECK & in the window that comes up look for the "Linked Ref" tab & click on that.

Then click on "Select Reference in Render window" & little cross hairs will come up, use that to select your placed DefaultGuardMarker by placing it over it & left clicking.

If you've done it right, the DefaultGuardMarker will be listed in the "Reference" box.

Remember to close the NPC window with the "OK" button to save that.

Clicking on the NPC should now draw an arrow linking them to the marker.

You can place more DefaultGuardMarkers if you like to give the NPC's a route.

Just link that first marker to the next one in the same way you linked the NPC. Further markes can be joined on in this way.

You can even link other idlke markers in so they perform different animations where suitable.

If you do use several linked markers in a chain, remember to go to their "Patrol Data" tabs & set an Idle time higher than 0 or else they will just quickly move past the marker & on to the next without pausing.

You can find the DefaultGuardMarkers under Miscellaneous - Idle Markers. It's got several idles for NPC's to perform while on guard already set.

Merry Christmas!

EDIT: This more information here:

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Bethsoft_Tutorial_NPC_population

Look under the subsection "Creating A Patrol"

Also, not sure if you're wanting the NPC to actually guard where they are or just patrol, Guarding is covered here:

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Guard_Package

Prensa

Edited by prensa

DrPepper715 - Hello!

That's it but you want to link the NPC to the marker rather than the other way around.

To link your NPC to the DefaultGuardMarker, double click on the NPC in GECK & in the window that comes up look for the "Linked Ref" tab & click on that.

Then click on "Select Reference in Render window" & little cross hairs will come up, use that to select your placed DefaultGuardMarker by placing it over it & left clicking.

If you've done it right, the DefaultGuardMarker will be listed in the "Reference" box.

Remember to close the NPC window with the "OK" button to save that.

Clicking on the NPC should now draw an arrow linking them to the marker.

You can place more DefaultGuardMarkers if you like to give the NPC's a route.

Just link that first marker to the next one in the same way you linked the NPC. Further markes can be joined on in this way.

You can even link other idlke markers in so they perform different animations where suitable.

If you do use several linked markers in a chain, remember to go to their "Patrol Data" tabs & set an Idle time higher than 0 or else they will just quickly move past the marker & on to the next without pausing.

You can find the DefaultGuardMarkers under Miscellaneous - Idle Markers. It's got several idles for NPC's to perform while on guard already set.

Merry Christmas!

EDIT: This more information here:

Look under the subsection "Creating A Patrol"

Also, not sure if you're wanting the NPC to actually guard where they are or just patrol, Guarding is covered here:

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Guard_Package

Prensa

Thanks Prensa for your hard work! :thumbsup: . I just have one question, do you have to check the Persistent Reference box in the Reference window on the NPC ? Or can I leave it unchecked and not worry about it? And also Do I have to place1 marker only linked up to 1 npc or can I use a marker and have multiple npc's link up to it? Thanks again :thumbsup:

Im assuming this will work.

Edited by DrPepper715

DrPepper715 - Hello!

"I just have one question, do you have to check the Persistent Reference box in the Reference window on the NPC ? Or can I leave it unchecked and not worry about it?"

No, only the reference that you link to must be persistent & x markers are persistent by default. It won't hurt if the thing being linked is persistent, leveled creature/NPC markers are.

"And also Do I have to place1 marker only linked up to 1 npc or can I use a marker and have multiple npc's link up to it?"

You can link multiple NPC's to the same marker or set of markers, however it will depend on what you are wanting to do & AI packages & settings you are using.

For example if you place one marker with a package making the NPC just stand at that marker, it will look a bit strange having several all clumped together.

You can make adjust to make them just have to be near the marker (remember if you adjust AI packages & are using Defaults to rename & make them your own so as not to change vanilla behaviour).

Depending on what you want to do it's probably best to place a few markers, each linked to the next & with their idle times set to something, to create a patrol route.

Remeber that an actual Guard package will make them protect what they are linked to, you might not want that.

You may just want them to have a normal patrol or sandbox package & link them to the markers so they stay in that area.

You can either link the x markers in a chain in which case the NPC's will patrol from one end & back again or connect them in a loop to create a circular route, say around the Washingto monument.

This page:

Covers it in more detail than me. :)

I see the link to the youtube video is dead on that page though, so here's the working link:

It has that annoying age restriction thing so you have to sign in with Youtube, It must be because Fallout 3 is an 18 game because the video certainly has nothing dodgy in it. :)

Prensa