Lichdom

kromey

Just wanted to put this here

That picture is so going in the mod description, at the point where I describe the Radiant quests for non-evil/lazy characters who want to be liches!

I remember reading something about Lichs can posess theoretically any dead creature from withing their phylactery. If a lich gets destroyed, its soul gets stored into the phylactery and it needs a dead beeing nearby to "posess" it. If there isnt anything close, the lich has to wait till something will be or the phylactery gets destroyed.

Interesting. It's not how I've ever understood liches, though; rather, their phylactery generates a body for them to inhabit when they're destroyed (which is why in DnD it takes 1d10 (or whatever the roll is) days for the lich to return). I think I'll stick with this approach, as it feels more consistent with TES lore (and avoids the OP dracolich -- I will never forgive DnD for giving my DM that creature...).

The Lich coud need to sacrifice parts of its soul (skillpoints!) to posess stronger beeing than its native one. Or he needs a higher level or perks for that.

Also it coud make Lichdom a bit more dangerous. The Lich coud have the need to store corpses close to his phylactery to be able to revive himself. If he didnt got any: Game over.

Also you coud do some sort of "forced" body switches if the decay destroys the Lichs body too much to be usable. After a certain period of time, the actual body gets destroyed automatically.

Interesting thoughts. I like the idea of the lich having to store something nearby, although in a way I already have that as once a lich is forced into its demilich state it requires a filled Black Soul Gem in order to repair its phylactery, and a human heart in order to perform the ritual to return to its full power. (Nothing says the demilich can't go out and fetch these materials at that point, but with the frailty of that form it's unwise to not have gathered a small stash of these resources before hand...)

I should also point out that I'm not going the route of the lich having their phylactery stashed safely somewhere else, but rather they have to keep it on their person in order to exercise control over their body. At least for now -- once I get a working mod released I may revisit decisions like this one and offer a wider array of options, and if I do release a version that adds the "superlich" (will need a better name for it...) that almost necessitates the phylactery being stored somewhere else...

hmm what about making a necromancer forge in an unholy cave for this called something midnight forge or something like that :P

Something like this was definitely a consideration at first, however I've elected to make use of the Lunar Forge for this purpose, as it always bugged me that there were all these hints that the Lunar Forge was something special, only to be disappointed and learn that it isn't. I already have my recipes set up so that phylacteries can only be crafted or repaired at the Lunar Forge.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would be cool to be able to fly but make sure its and ability so that people who play the thief class can still fly.

Dude, i'm pretty sure there are mods that allow you to fly already, just go to youtube, search for it. I don't think that only because you're a lich you instantly learn how to fly :psyduck:

Dude, i'm pretty sure there are mods that allow you to fly already, just go to youtube, search for it. I don't think that only because you're a lich you instantly learn how to fly :psyduck:

I know but it was just and idea and the draugr seem to be able to do :armscrossed:

Edited by KILLERZombie135

I know but it was just and idea and the draugr seem to be able to do :armscrossed:

See, even draugr download mods! :D

Or maybe they're playing morrowind which had a spell "levitate"

Edited by skulleris

Hey, OP, could you make some sort of "Sum-up" of things that you've done + things that you're going to make? :biggrin:

I haven't actively read the comments so I am really confused now.

And I don't really want to start slamming my new ideas around before I see the general idea what you're going to do.

The way how I currently see this is:

> Power + ability based lich

- Somewhat "vampire"- like. Weakness to fire

- No sun damage

- Boosts to some resistances + other nice things?

> Makes character undead (keyword )

> Become one by doing "quest"/ crafting the phylactery

> No visual things to show that you're lich

As I've got couple of interesting suggestions, but I just want to make sure those aren't already on the list. (Nothing too complicated)

Hey, OP, could you make some sort of "Sum-up" of things that you've done + things that you're going to make? :biggrin:

I haven't actively read the comments so I am really confused now.

I've updated the OP to reflect the most current plans. I think. Hope I didn't miss anything...

Not reflected in the OP is the idea for a later update to include a "superlich", a more powerful version that liches can strive toward becoming. This is still just a vague concept rather than an actual plan, and I haven't even decided yet if I'm going to do it.

As for current status, nothing too terribly exciting yet:

• Phylactery is craftable (only at the Lunar Forge)
  • Elixir of Endless Night is craftable (and instantly fatal if consumed)
  • Ritual of Defilation is implemented

At present, the "charged" version of the phylactery (the result of the Ritual of Defilation) is enchanted, allowing me to test out lich abilities until I implement them as, well, abilities.

I'm hoping to spend some time working on it today, so maybe I'll have a more interesting status update later.

The way how I currently see this is:

> Power + ability based lich

- Somewhat "vampire"- like. Weakness to fire

- No sun damage

- Boosts to some resistances + other nice things?

> Makes character undead (keyword )

> Become one by doing "quest"/ crafting the phylactery

> No visual things to show that you're lich

That's about it, yup. The specifics should be in the OP.

Are you thinking of making the lunar forge look more evil, more undead maybe adding skeletons and draugr corpses get rid of the bandits and maybe use draugr or something

The OP did say that retextures and remodelling is beyond his skills, but hopefully someone will help him out with that, along with giving the Lich a unique model