Lichdom

kromey

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The addition of the abilities to both live in a tomb and create multiple phylacteries-thus becoming an ancient lich according to lore- would be nice additions :) Loving the idea!!

Multiple phylacteries?

"A mage converts itself into a Lich by means of necromancy, storing its soul in a magical receptacle called a phylactery."

(Reference from D&D game, applies to some liches of other games as well)

So you'd put one of your many souls into different containers?

Or split your one soul into many containers? :biggrin:

The addition of the abilities to both live in a tomb and create multiple phylacteries-thus becoming an ancient lich according to lore- would be nice additions :) Loving the idea!!

There's already a few tomb-themed player home mods out there, and when I turn my focus back to player-home modding it will be to revive the dormant project Dovahheim.

The idea of multiple phylacteries though intrigues me... How does that work lore-wise? I'd always understood it as the spellcaster is storing his soul in a container, how would he store it in multiple containers?

And from a game play perspective, how do you envision this working? What would it take to make additional phylacteries, and what benefits would you gain from it?

I've been thinking about the ingredients, and about players who may want to become liches without performing evil acts in the process.

Certainly the easiest route to obtain a filled soul gem is to, well, fill it -- but the use of black soul gems and the capturing of NPC souls is considered to be "evil" by evil. And many consider harvesting human(oid) bodies for their organs to be an evil act as well. (None of the other ingredients are particularly rare or "evil", so these should be the only ones I have to worry about.)

Seems like it wouldn't be hard to produce a couple of Radiant quests -- a shadowy information broker can provide the PC with information about the location of the ingredient he's after, for a price of course.

I'm thinking human hearts could be found on either necromancers or Forsworn, while filled black soul gems could be found on necromancers. The player then just has to go get it. (This also helps PCs who don't use Soul Trap, for whatever reason, as well as helps out with the (non-respawning) ultra-rare ingredient of the human heart (only 11 in vanilla Skyrim).) Any other types these ingredients should be found on (or near, if I can figure out how to just put them nearby with the Radiant Quest system)?

Edit: And for those who think this feels like a cheat, I could easily separate these out into a separate .esp: Don't want them? Don't activate them!

Edited by kromey

Well, talking about Ancient liches with multiple phylacteries, i always thought that multiple ones are like replacements, for example, the body gets destroyed, the "Active" phylactery damaged, so the liches soul goes from the damaged one to another phylactery, so creating multiple ones, would be something like "1-ups" :D

But that's just my take on it, its probably not like that :psyduck:

I like this idea because it takes the good things from the first one and gets rid of the dead weight. With the story how ever you could have a group of necromancer who help you become a lich basically saying that you are the willing test subject but then you have the page idea. I like that idea and what could do is say that the original lich was there leader up until he died of the potion. Before the other necromancers could find a new leader they were attacked by vigilantes of stendarr or other necromancer cults. Now about the ritual you could have it like you drink a perfected version of the potion and die on an altar while you necromancer friends are taking you soul and putting it into you phylactory. And may you wake with a message in the corner of the screen say "10 day later" or something. Finally you lich form, in between the ten day period you your inside your head or the phylactory and you go into a character customization screen and you get to choose what your undead form looks like and after that you wake as a fully formed lich. The rest I might get back to you on but that could work for a good storyline

In terms of bonuses, you'd probably want to make something related to enhancing necromancy. After all, liches are the paragon of necromancers, right? It's what they all aspire to become. I haven't really got any ideas beyond Fortify Conjuration, and I'd imagine you'd want something a bit more intricate than that. Maybe something that would enhance your undead minions, perhaps raising the cap by 1 or 2?