Lichdom

kromey

You would not believe the week I've had at work.

Short version: I'm now behind on the mod from where I wanted to be. I've got half a dozen testers rarin' to go, and they're twiddling their thumbs waiting on me to get even the initial incomplete test version to 'em -- whereas I'd hoped to be sending it to them yesterday.

I may have some time later today to work on it, but I'm now hoping for a Monday or Tuesday evening test version. Hoping. Unfortunately, work has to take precedence over modding. :yucky:

Given that, I don't expect to have the first general release (which will be a beta, btw) out for another week, maybe two. So much for beating Dragonborn...

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's okay, take your time :biggrin:

Besides, who knows what kind of assets Dragonborn possibly holds? :biggrin:

There is some really nice stuff I can assure you, some that might actually be helpful with your mod. (Though, that'd mean that your mod would require Dragonborn DLC)

Anyway! Lookin' forward to it. (Dragonborn, AND your mod :biggrin: )

There is some really nice stuff I can assure you, some that might actually be helpful with your mod. (Though, that'd mean that your mod would require Dragonborn DLC)

Ideally, I want my mod to be compatible with a completely vanilla Skyrim, so that people who haven't bought Dragonborn (or Hearthfire, or Dawnguard) can still enjoy the awesometacity of being liches. :)

That said, if Dragonborn brings in something that is just too awesome to pass up... (Or for that matter, if I find something in Dawnguard or even Hearthfire too good to pass up...)

Aye, I understand that you are aiming for maximum compatibility :biggrin:

Well, Dawnguard and Hearthfire (Especially hearthfire) can be easily passed by with your mod.

Only tempting thing is Soul Cairn.

That'd be the only reason why I'd link the mod to require Dawnguard.

However, that'd require some more work to do to add something interesting into Soul Cairn for liches.

And in similar way, Dragonborn is going to include some heavily magic based stuff.

And some "unique" mechanics.

But I don't want to spoil anything. So I say no more.

Just.. MAYBE after you're somewhat "Done" with the core module/s. (1.0 and 2.0), you could work on "extra compatibility", that would require bigger DLC's/ all DLC's, and would add some extra nice stuff via those.

Anyway, no pressure :biggrin:

Best to wait 'til 1.0 is out before throwing any tempting ideas at you :whistling:

:nuke: I have made a decision. :nuke:

Many of you won't like it; for this reason (and because it's a significant change to what I've thus far promised), I have pondered this choice for quite some time, and have finally come to a decision on it:

:excl: Liches do not get new spells. :excl:

Specifically, I am making the following changes to the lich's spells and powers:

* Lich's Command is being re-classified as a spell (not a lesser power) and removed from the lich.

* Paralyzing Touch is being re-named Lich's Touch, but remaining where it is (i.e. a power the lich gets automatically).

* The as-yet-unnamed Destruction-boosting power is being named Font of the Lich, and dubbed a Power (and being given to the lich automatically).

* Changes to the remaining spells are pending/TBD, but in any case will not be granted for free to new liches.

Since I really have a lot else I should be doing instead of posting here, I'll only briefly explain my reasoning (I may later post a more fuller description).

For quite a while I've been worrying about the lich being too powerful -- there's a lot of fancy new abilities and bonuses, but not many drawbacks. This is generally not the case with the passive abilities -- I feel there are enough drawbacks to balance the lich out from becoming OP, while still granting enough boons to make the lich more powerful. I also feel that it isn't in keeping with the lore of lichdom that putting your soul in a fancy box suddenly gives you spectacular new spells -- in fact, that bit always rubbed me wrong, and is the reason why the original lich had a couple of powers, but no spells.

So does this mean that these awesome spells are going away? :ohmy:

Nope! :cool:

Some of these spells will be worked into the post-1.0 new content, e.g. slaying an NPC lich might give you a spell book with one of these spells. Some of these will only be learnable by a lich; others will be available to anyone who can get their hands on a book (although the names may be changed, e.g. Lich's Command might be re-worked into a new spell Command Undead). A few may be held back, to only be available to Ancient Liches.

That's all for now. No new progress on the mod, as work is still dominating my free time (although I made the time today to watch the Super Bowl with some friends -- can't completely lose out on a social life!), and dropping these spells won't actually accelerate my estimates on release because I had forgotten to account for them in the first place! o_O

Edited by kromey