Found the source of my CTD but need help fixing it.

GunnerofLife

Okay, as some of you might know, I've made a CTD thread before. In the end, I said that the reason why Oblivion CTD'd was because of the autosave on travel. Well, it's not. I'm very sure of it. I gave up playing Oblivion for a month because I couldn't deal with all of constant CTD's. Well, I'm back, and I finally rooted out the problem: It's because of Qarl's Texture Pack.

Now now, I know what most of you are thinking, "Why don''t you just deactivate it?" I did, but I just couldn't play it without the texture pack. It didn't feel right. Now, for the main question.

What's the problem? Is it because of the memory the mod uses? If so, is there a mod or some sort of fix I can use to increase the RAM? Thanks.

I'm no expert but believe it is a combination of memory and graphics card. More so on the graphics card.

Assuming you were previously using the QTP full...you can try using QTP Redimized. This is a reduced and optimized package which may be a bit easier for your pc to handle. There is also a Redimized and Further Reduced package available. Failing that...QTP has an item by item install system. Meaning you don't HAVE to use everything. Figure out what parts of the package mean the most to you...and your pc can handle running.

On my now dead older pc I was able to use all of the interior elements such as sewers, caves, dungeons, basements. But for the exterior world was limited to forts and ayleid ruins. That was all it could handle without horrible lag, stutter and eventual CTD. The forts and ruins were my personal preference of course, I could have instead used the ground textures and rocks, etc, etc. You get the idea I'm sure.

If you just can't live without ALL of the wonderful hi-res textures...I would first suggest upgrading your graphics card. That would be the best investment if you can't afford a new pc. Memory helps also but the graphics card is your biggest muscle here. Of course a new, more powerful pc would be the ultimate answer.

Hope this helps.

Edited by mhahn123

I'm no expert but believe it is a combination of memory and graphics card. More so on the graphics card.

Assuming you were previously using the QTP full...you can try using QTP Redimized. This is a reduced and optimized package which may be a bit easier for your pc to handle. There is also a Redimized and Further Reduced package available. Failing that...QTP has an item by item install system. Meaning you don't HAVE to use everything. Figure out what parts of the package mean the most to you...and your pc can handle running.

On my now dead older pc I was able to use all of the interior elements such as sewers, caves, dungeons, basements. But for the exterior world was limited to forts and ayleid ruins. That was all it could handle without horrible lag, stutter and eventual CTD. The forts and ruins were my personal preference of course, I could have instead used the ground textures and rocks, etc, etc. You get the idea I'm sure.

If you just can't live without ALL of the wonderful hi-res textures...I would first suggest upgrading your graphics card. That would be the best investment if you can't afford a new pc. Memory helps also but the graphics card is your biggest muscle here. Of course a new, more powerful pc would be the ultimate answer.

Hope this helps.

Please show me a link for both QTP Redimized and an even Further Deduced Package.

This doesn't rub well with me though. I use more graphic mods on Skyrim than I do with Oblivion yet Skyrim never crashes. I got a new video card yesterday, which is even better than my old one, yet Oblivion STILL crashes.

They are fairly easy to find if you run a google search. Here are at least 3 to check out.

Qarls Texture Pack 3 Redimized on PES,

QTP 3 Redimized and Further Reduced also on PES, and

QTP3 Reduced right here on Oblivion Nexus.

I can't answer as to why one game is more demanding on your pc than another. I only gave possible suggestions as to what may be bogging your system down. Key word being possible. I can't see everything you have installed for Oblivion, or other games, or in what manner you have those other things installed. QTP3 makes a lot of PCs struggle and graphics card is the usual culprit. Memory also plays a part and possibly your processor as well.

If you are using QTP3 along with say 50 other mods...especially things like Better Cities and Unique Landscapes....they all have a compound effect on your Oblivion game. And it's an old game with a less than efficient game engine...there are limits to how much you can mod in and have it function well. Use all of those things and enter an area of the game that is already prone to lag like the IC Waterfront, and you get CTD.

Hopefully one of these packs helps you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this helps.

Please show me a link for both QTP Redimized and an even Further Deduced Package.

This doesn't rub well with me though. I use more graphic mods on Skyrim than I do with Oblivion yet Skyrim never crashes. I got a new video card yesterday, which is even better than my old one, yet Oblivion STILL crashes.

I went to streamline and used that to play with the min fog distance, max fog distance, and clipping. I use OSR for the fps. I have ~100 mods and qarls, and i was having problems like what you're describing. The other thing you need to check is how much RAM Oblivion is using. It might only be using 1.8 GB, and if you have more, there's a patch that will get you up to 4 GB. When Oblivion gets to the point that it's used up its memory allocation it crashes. I finally got to the point where I can play again with qarls full. :)

Edited by talveren

Hope this helps.

I went to streamline and used that to play with the min fog distance, max fog distance, and clipping. I use OSR for the fps. I have ~100 mods and qarls, and i was having problems like what you're describing. The other thing you need to check is how much RAM Oblivion is using. It might only be using 1.8 GB, and if you have more, there's a patch that will get you up to 4 GB. When Oblivion gets to the point that it's used up its memory allocation it crashes. I finally got to the point where I can play again with qarls full. :)

Quick! In detail, I want to know everything! Tell me what to download and give me links to them! Hurry! ARGGHHHH

Hope this helps.

Quick! In detail, I want to know everything! Tell me what to download and give me links to them! Hurry! ARGGHHHH

lol. Be warned, it took me about 16 hours of tweaking with these and my mods to figure this out. Maybe with these tips you can do it a lot faster.

BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THIS:

backup your data folder and your my documents\my games\oblivion\Oblivion.ini

If you don’t back up, and come back here to complain, I’m going to point and mock.

Ok, here goes:

*4GB patch -- http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php -- You need this on a 64 GB system. If you're running 32 bit, it's not going to matter.

You'll want to make sure it's working and you can do that by running in windowed mode, and running up Oblivion until it's past 1.8 GB of RAM without crashing. Use this tool (Windows Sysinternals Process Explorer) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspxto to monitor memory usage. Modify the columns displayed because you need to pay attention to the Virtual Size as that's the actual memory allocation for an app. The other two memory settings I point to in the pic (attached to post) are for physical and total used memory. If it isn't working, troll around the nets to find the answer. I will tell you that I'm running a steam copy of Oblivion and I didn't have a problem getting it working.

*Oblivion Stutter Remover -- http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/23208

I replaced the default heap for Oblivion with the one from this mod. I changed OSR’s default entry in its .ini from bReplaceHeap = 0 to bReplaceHeap = 1

You can also change the heap algorithm that it uses (read the .txt file in the archive). I didn’t have to do that. I’m using algorithm 5 with a heap size of 450 which is what the default is. If you decide to try and mess with the heap size, be aware that the forums at bethsoft indicate that going above 1024 just makes the game crash more. Changing the setting for the heap algorithm seems to be fair game, but I’ve only tried 5. I left the FPS settings alone. The human eye can’t perceive above 30 fps anyway so I don’t think there’s much point in making it higher.

*Streamline 3.1 -- http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/10400 -- The savior of qarls mod

It’s an open beta, but imo streamsight makes it worth it. Make sure to read the .txt files included.

I made the following changes to my Streamline ini (sl.ini). I set streamsmooth to off because it does the same thing as OSR. I don’t need both.

set SLv.FPSsmoothing to 0 ; Turn on Streamsmooth? (FPS smoothing)

Stream purge clears the memory based on your setting. I have mine on medium

;===================================================================================

; [streampurge Settings] An automated cache-cleaner for Oblivion

;===================================================================================

set SLh.SLmode to 3 ; Memory Purge Mode (1-6) (Default: 3)

; Lower # = faster, higher # = slower

set SLv.PurgeOnTravel to 0 ; Purge memory on travel & zone?

set SLv.PurgeOnWait to 1 ; Purge memory when character waits?

set SLv.PurgeOnSleep to 1 ; Purge memory when character sleeps?

Streamsave will control the saves in place of Oblivion if you want. I decided to do this. If you want to, read the .txt files to figure it out. It’s not hard. Make sure you make the changes it documents to Oblivion.ini as well.

Streamsight is the important one. It lets you set how close the fog is to you and whether or not stuff gets drawn behind it, and how far away it will draw before it stops. This is what made high graphics mods reasonable on my system.

You have to change the Oblivion.ini as well as the sl.ini These are the settings I’m using in sl.ini.

There’s an included file in the documents that will help you figure out what to tune your fog settings to get the best of your system. You'll basically have to take those settings, and play with them until the game starts to run well.

I am using a scripted weather mod, so I turned set SLv.WeatherUnsticker off. Use your judgement.

Make sure to turn on Extreme Clipping. It’s off by default. Change the set SLv.ClipMin to a range somewhere behind your maximum fog distance. Don't push it too far out, or you won't get the benefit of doing it at all.

; [streamsight Settings] Refer to documentation for values

set SLv.MinDistanceFog to 10000 ; Min distance before fog starts (0%)

set SLv.MaxDistanceFog to 36000 ; Max distance before fog ends (100%)

set SLv.MinWaterFog to 0 ; Min distance before water fog starts

set SLv.MaxWaterFog to 1500 ; Max distance before water fog ends

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

set SLv.WeatherUnsticker to 0 ; Leave set at 1 unless you use a

; scripted weather mod

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

set SLv.ExtremeClipping to 1 ; Turn on clipping behind distant fog?

; Gains FPS, but can cause some

; clipping of distant mountains

set SLv.ClipMin to 40000 ; Range under which clipping will stop

set SLv.FogUpdateFrequency to 6 ; Speed control for fog updates (1 - 10)

; # of updates per sec (Default: 6)

Here are the changes I made to my Oblivion.ini. These numbers go with the numbers for min fog and max fog distances. You look them up in the same document you get those numbers from.

uGridDistantTreeRange=5

uGridDistantCount=5

Have fun and make sure to read the readmes and other documentation.

Hope this helps.

lol. Be warned, it took me about 16 hours of tweaking with these and my mods to figure this out. Maybe with these tips you can do it a lot faster.

If you don’t back up, and come back here to complain, I’m going to point and mock.

Ok, here goes:

*4GB patch -- http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php -- You need this on a 64 GB system. If you're running 32 bit, it's not going to matter.

You'll want to make sure it's working and you can do that by running in windowed mode, and running up Oblivion until it's past 1.8 GB of RAM without crashing. Use this tool (Windows Sysinternals Process Explorer) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspxto to monitor memory usage. Modify the columns displayed because you need to pay attention to the Virtual Size as that's the actual memory allocation for an app. The other two memory settings I point to in the pic (attached to post) are for physical and total used memory. If it isn't working, troll around the nets to find the answer. I will tell you that I'm running a steam copy of Oblivion and I didn't have a problem getting it working.

I replaced the default heap for Oblivion with the one from this mod. I changed OSR’s default entry in its .ini from bReplaceHeap = 0 to bReplaceHeap = 1

You can also change the heap algorithm that it uses (read the .txt file in the archive). I didn’t have to do that. I’m using algorithm 5 with a heap size of 450 which is what the default is. If you decide to try and mess with the heap size, be aware that the forums at bethsoft indicate that going above 1024 just makes the game crash more. Changing the setting for the heap algorithm seems to be fair game, but I’ve only tried 5. I left the FPS settings alone. The human eye can’t perceive above 30 fps anyway so I don’t think there’s much point in making it higher.

*Streamline 3.1 -- http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/10400 -- The savior of qarls mod

It’s an open beta, but imo streamsight makes it worth it. Make sure to read the .txt files included.

I made the following changes to my Streamline ini (sl.ini). I set streamsmooth to off because it does the same thing as OSR. I don’t need both.

Streamsave will control the saves in place of Oblivion if you want. I decided to do this. If you want to, read the .txt files to figure it out. It’s not hard. Make sure you make the changes it documents to Oblivion.ini as well.

Streamsight is the important one. It lets you set how close the fog is to you and whether or not stuff gets drawn behind it, and how far away it will draw before it stops. This is what made high graphics mods reasonable on my system.

You have to change the Oblivion.ini as well as the sl.ini These are the settings I’m using in sl.ini.

There’s an included file in the documents that will help you figure out what to tune your fog settings to get the best of your system. You'll basically have to take those settings, and play with them until the game starts to run well.

I am using a scripted weather mod, so I turned set SLv.WeatherUnsticker off. Use your judgement.

Make sure to turn on Extreme Clipping. It’s off by default. Change the set SLv.ClipMin to a range somewhere behind your maximum fog distance. Don't push it too far out, or you won't get the benefit of doing it at all.

; scripted weather mod

Here are the changes I made to my Oblivion.ini. These numbers go with the numbers for min fog and max fog distances. You look them up in the same document you get those numbers from.

uGridDistantTreeRange=5

uGridDistantCount=5

What do I 4 GB patch? Oblivion.exe? Obse loader?

Hope this helps.

Ok, here goes:

; scripted weather mod

uGridDistantTreeRange=5

uGridDistantCount=5

Oblivion.exe

Hope this helps.

Ok, here goes:

; scripted weather mod

uGridDistantTreeRange=5

uGridDistantCount=5

Oblivion.exe

Well, instead of trying to configure the settings to suit me, I just copied whatever you set it to. :biggrin:

I'm all set. If it still crashes, I'm going to burn down your house. :tongue: