The Spellsword

Llamadelslay

Hey Everyone!

I'm in a dilemma with my spellsword character. Basically, I'm unsure whether to wear Heavy Armor, or Light Armor. I've researched around, watched YouTube videos etc... but can't decide which in the longhaul is a better option. If anyone can give me any advice, much appreciated :)

Thanks.

I remember discussing this about spellswords before. I forgot a lot of what was said, but I remember some people saying they prefer light armor for the mobility. They say heavy armor helps a lot early on in the game, but light armor can be pretty decent with the right armor (the ones you get later in the game).

Something to consider: If you make your character get skills in enchanting, you can enchant their armor with different benefits, including fortify light armor. For a spellsword, you wouldn't level up smithing much or put much perks into smithing. However, something else to consider...

Something else to consider is the mod "Economics of Skyrim". (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11919) It makes an assortment of changes to merchants and shops in the game. This mod may not be for you. However, if you check it out and decide you want to use it, there is something about it that could really benefit someone who doesn't have a lot of perks in smithing/doesn't level smithing much. Taken from the mod's page:

"1. Tempering: Blacksmiths can temper your weapons for you now if you do not wish to do it yourself. A new dialogue topic is available with all blacksmiths while they offer services: “Can you improve my equipment?” Select it, and the Smith will ask you if you wish to improve your weapons or your armor. Choose which you want (or change you mind if you hit the topic by mistake) and the smith will inform you to what grade of quality he is capable of improving your gear to, and will do so. For a price."

If you go with light armor for mobility, you'll be able to have it enhanced at work benches with this mod. You'll just have to find blacksmiths that can enhance your gear to high levels, and I'm assuming they can enhance things to different degrees (for example, someone in Whiterun might be pretty good at improving leather armor, but not good with Elven and Glass armor).

Edited by Dubnoman

Cheers for the help :) I'll probably stay with Light Armor then, and place my perks there rather than Heavy. I was thinking about enchanting despite it's chore to level, but fortify armor would help like you've said. In regards to the mod you've mentioned, I'll probably give it a miss, as I'm not really one for using mods like that; more character, graphics, armor/weapons etc are my thing. But, I dare say I could always level smithing to 60 and place a spare perk in Arcane Blacksmith for improving armor.

Thanks for the assistance :)

I only have Spellsword experience with Skyre but if you are making one then I must insist you look into this mod here, http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9247 you will have to use the script dragon version but believe me it is worth the effort setting it up, it will allow you to block while wielding a weapon and a spell which will make your spellsword much more viable in melee combat.

For a spellsword, you'll want to work up to Elven and Glass armor, and maybe even Dragon Scale. However, to be able to really enhance Dragon Scale armor via tempering (or to even create it), you'll need 100 in Smithing, which takes a long time to get and takes a lot of Smithing. It isn't easy to get there unless you power level, and let me recommend against power leveling. When I first got into Skyrim, I got addicted to power leveling on a number of different skill trees, and then at some point I realized how much it takes away from the game. It was ruining the game for me, so I started from the beginning again. I was playing a character where I wasn't power leveling and was liking it much more that way.

If you don't wanna wait till level 100 in Smithing for Dragon Scale armor, you could probably find a mod that has it so that merchants sell full sets of Dragon Scale armor in the game. Just remember, you can't fully enhance it without the Dragon Armor perk. Which is fine. You just don't need the best armor in the game and with the best tempering. It just seems like a lot of Skyrim players always want the very best armor and weapons they can get. :P

Also, check out Matys Mithril Armor. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19655

Update: I just checked out Matys Mithril mod and he made some changes. It makes some of the things I said in the first paragraph irrelevant. With the Mithril mod, you can create and temper Mithril armor if you have the Glass armor perk, which you can get at level 70 of Smithing.