Long War mod discussion

johnnylump

I really don't know, but might be worth a try.

Here's the installer commands for 2.12 beta 5, with "DestDir" being where you want to put them. For the last batches, obvs pick the ones that apply to your version of the game (with or without Slingshot).

; Install common files.

Source: Common\UPK Files\XComGame.upk; DestDir: "{app}\XComGame\CookedPCConsole"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall ignoreversion;
Source: Common\UPK Files\XComStrategyGame.upk; DestDir: "{app}\XComGame\CookedPCConsole"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall ignoreversion;
Source: Common\UPK Files\Command1.upk; DestDir: "{app}\XComGame\CookedPCConsole"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall ignoreversion;
Source: Common\Long_War_ReadMe.txt; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion;
Source: Common\Long_War_perk_tree.jpg; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion;
Source: Common\Long_War_tech_tree.jpg; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion;
Source: Common\CleanUpXComEngineini.vbs; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion;
Source: Common\INI Files\DefaultGameCore.ini; DestDir: "{app}\XComGame\Config"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall ignoreversion;
Source: Common\INI Files\DefaultEngine.ini; DestDir: "{app}\XComGame\Config"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall ignoreversion;
Source: Common\Tools\CommandLine.dll; DestDir: "{app}\Long War Files"; Flags: ignoreversion;
Source: Common\Tools\CommandLine.xml; DestDir: "{app}\Long War Files"; Flags: ignoreversion;
Source: Common\Tools\Config.xml; DestDir: "{app}\Long War Files"; Flags: ignoreversion;
Source: Common\Tools\XCOMEUModHelper.bat; DestDir: "{app}\Long War Files"; Flags: ignoreversion;
Source: Common\Tools\XCOMEUModHelper.exe; DestDir: "{app}\Long War Files"; Flags: ignoreversion;
Source: Common\Tools\XCOMEUModHelper.pdb; DestDir: "{app}\Long War Files"; Flags: ignoreversion;
Source: Common\Tools\XCOMEUModHelper.vshost.exe; DestDir: "{app}\Long War Files"; Flags: ignoreversion;
Source: Common\Tools\XCOMEUModHelper.vshost.exe.manifest; DestDir: "{app}\Long War Files"; Flags: ignoreversion;
; Install Slingshot files.
Source: Common\INI Files\XComGame.ini; DestDir: "{app}\XComGame\DLC\PCConsole\DLC_Day060\Config\"; Components: gameversion/slingshotdlc; Flags: uninsneveruninstall ignoreversion;
Source: Common\INI Files\XComEngine.ini; DestDir: "{app}\XComGame\DLC\PCConsole\DLC_Day060\Config\"; Components: gameversion/slingshotdlc; Flags: uninsneveruninstall ignoreversion;
Source: Common\UPK Files\DLC_Day060_SF.upk; DestDir: "{app}\XComGame\DLC\PCConsole\DLC_Day060\CookedPCConsole\"; Components: gameversion/slingshotdlc; Flags: uninsneveruninstall ignoreversion;
; Install localization files for English + Original Game.
Source: "Common\INT Files\(Game Folder Original) XComGame.int"; DestDir: "{app}\XComGame\Localization\INT"; DestName: "XComGame.int"; Components: "gameversion/original and language/english"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall ignoreversion;
Source: "Common\INT Files\(My Docs Original) XComStrategyGame.int"; DestDir: "{userdocs}\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown\XComGame\Localization\INT"; DestName: "XComStrategyGame.int"; Components: "gameversion/original and language/english"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall ignoreversion;
; Install localization files for English + Slingshot DLC.
Source: "Common\INT Files\(Game Folder Original) XComGame.int"; DestDir: "{app}\XComGame\Localization\INT"; DestName: "XComGame.int"; Components: "gameversion/slingshotdlc and language/english"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall ignoreversion;
Source: "Common\INT Files\(My Docs Slingshot) XComGame.int"; DestDir: "{userdocs}\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown\XComGame\Localization\INT"; DestName: "XComGame.int"; Components: "gameversion/slingshotdlc and language/english"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall ignoreversion;
Source: "Common\INT Files\(My Docs Slingshot) XComStrategyGame.int"; DestDir: "{userdocs}\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown\XComGame\Localization\INT"; DestName: "XComStrategyGame.int"; Components: "gameversion/slingshotdlc and language/english"; Flags: uninsneveruninstall ignoreversion;

Once you're done, run XCOMEUModHelper.bat -- it deletes two files in CookedPCConsole, and modifies your exe to accept the modded files.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I installed the mod into a random directory and ran the "XComEUModHelper" and I get the following errors in the command line:

Unhandled exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot Find the XCOM Enemy Unknown Directory at [ c:/program files (x86)/steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown ]

at XCOMEUModHelper.Helpers.GetXComRootDirectory() in d:\Workspace\xcomeu-mod-helper\XCOMEUModHelper\XCOMEUModHelper\Helpers.cs:line 52

at XCOMEUModHelper.Program.Main(String[] args) in d:\Workspace\xcom-mod-helper\XComEuModHelper\XCOMEUModeHelper\Program.cs:line 64

From the look of this, it's throwing an exception because it's looking for "c:/program files (x86)/steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown" instead of "d:\Games\Steam Library\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown". It also for some reason has forward slashes instead of back slashes for the directory path.

Edited by zyllos

Yes, they are all moved there.

Trying to figure out how to get the XComEUHelper program to point at the right directory, but the issue is that my directory path contains spaces, and the command line will not accept them for arguments.

Hey, hey, finally got a result.

I typed in the -x "d:/..." directory path and -c "Config.xml" file directly after doing the installation and the command prompt seemed to run with no errors. I ran the game and it started up.

Going to do some tests to see if the mod did actually install.

Put quotes around the the path/filename if they have spaces.

Oh ... that's right, XComEUModHelper.exe may refer to your registry to find the files, too; if so, it won't work for your installation. Instead, you'll have to hex-edit xcomgame.exe to make the following three changes.

Read XComGame.upk from CookedPCConsole Folder without size check
78 63 6f 6d 67 61 6d 65 2e 75 70 6b
to
77 63 6f 6d 67 61 6d 65 2e 75 70 6b

Read XComStrategyGame.upk from CookedPCConsole Folder without size check
78 63 6f 6d 73 74 72 61 74 65 67 79 67 61 6d 65 2e 75 70 6b
to
77 63 6f 6d 73 74 72 61 74 65 67 79 67 61 6d 65 2e 75 70 6b

Read DGC.ini from config foldier instead of from internal exe resources

25 00 64 00 00 00 00 00 49 00 6e 00 69 00 56 00 65 00 72 00 73 00 69 00 6f 00 6e 00 00 00 00 00 2e 00 2e 00 5c 00 2e 00 2e 00 5c 00 58 00 43 00
to
25 00 64 00 00 00 00 00 49 00 6e 00 69 00 56 00 65 00 72 00 73 00 69 00 6f 00 6e 00 00 00 00 00 2e 00 2e 00 5c 00 2e 00 2e 00 5c 00 57 00 43 00
Edited by johnnylump

I have the same problem with 2.12b5. So the solution is to install 12b5 to an empty folder, manually move the files and then do the hex editing?

The xcom game is in the original place I installed it. Why would the mod helper have a hard time reading the registry to find where the files are?

I didn't write modhelper; it was supplied by someone else, but I believe he said it checks your registry to find where Steam is. So far the problems have been for people with multiple Steam libraries/directories, so my best guess is that it's causing problems for people who don't have XCom in their primary or original Steam directory.