Companions or Civil War Faction, but not both

IthacanGaunt

I have started both Civil War faction quests and I've joined the Companions. While looking around Whitemane's room in Jorvassk, I noticed a book about legendary Harbingers. And I actually read it. And as it turns out, the Companions used to let themselves associate with anyone who would pay coin but that led to Companions fighting each other. So one legendary Harbinger put an end to ANY Companion involvement in political affairs. So that answers that.

There are some odd circumstances that present once you know that, but that would be a spoiler.

Cheers,

Ithacan

yea as jack013 said , they'll fight for whoever pays them more and if you notice the dialogue between your char and one of the companions they usually mention that for example " x has ask for our help and we shall answer particularly when the pay is xxxx gold and this xxxx is usually a high amount of gold :D so they somehow work for gold :sweat: and that's business 8) not politics

Yes, the Companions take gold for helping people out, including strong-arm jobs. However, they apparently draw the line at serving as mercenaries in a political dispute. There is a difference between taking pay for a one-off job and signing up with somebody's army. Note that they didn't even join in the defense of Whiterun when Ulfric attacked, but barricaded themselves in their hall.

That said, I'm not sure the restriction would prevent a Companion from joining a cause out of a sincere sense of conviction. It isn't as if Ulfric or the Legion is taking the Dragonborn on as a mercenary.

Edited by BrettM

Well, you certainly can do it, and certain of the Companions appear well-dialed into the Stormcloak movement if you go that route. But the book I mentioned suggests rather strongly that the Companions should not because it risks pitting Companion v. Companion in battle.

Meh. The Companions of the Inner Circle shouldn't be putting their non-were Companions in harms way by making the Silver Hand personal business either - but they do. In fact, they invited them to the Jorrvaskr doorstep.

With no leader, what they should and shouldn't do is moot anyway. To quote Eorlund: "Every man is his own, every woman her own; no leaders since Ysgramor".

Feel free to slaughter the Imperials, because even you as Harbinger can't tell yourself not to do something. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty egalitarian in who I slaughter. Mostly I play the good side, though. If you are taking what I perceive to be the wrong side of the issue, I will usually kill you regardless of your stripes. Like those poor Thalmor holding the Nords in prison. They would not see reason; that did not work out so well for them. Or the Imperial torturer. I pretty much kill anyone labeled 'torturer' on sight. Not a lot of "grey" to "I'm a torturer."

Yes, that was the quest - Missing in Action. Couldn't convince the Thalmor to see reason, so they all had to die.

Stormcloaks are the good side from their perspective but you can't officially side with them and be the Harbinger (well, again, you can but . . . ). The Empire takes a more utilitarian view to morality, sacrificing some of its morality in the name of pragmatism and/or the "greater good." This is how the US justifies torture, too, as well as diplomatic relationships with thug nations.

And if you read the Thalmor intelligence on the Empire, the Stormcloaks, and Ulfric, you can understand someone not wanting to necessarily support the Stormcloaks.

Stormcloaks are the good side.

They aren't torturing fellow Nords

They aren't inviting the Thalmor into Skyrim

and they certainly aren't helping the Thalmor carry out those dispicable acts in the 1st place. (i.e. Missing in Action).

No, they just act like total hypocrites, preaching about how they deserve freedom from the empire, yet they treat the Dunmer like trash and segregate them.