I fixed the NPC voices cutting out issue! YUSSSS!

rcavanah

A further trick that worked on the laptop: DISABLE HPET in both BIOS, and Windows ("bcdedit /set useplatformclock false", "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" to re-enable it) and reboot...

Edited by rolloLG

• 2 months later...

I know this thread is a year old, so sorry for digging it out of the pile. I found it while doing a search for the voice cutting issues and wanted to add my 2 cents for any one who does the same. This thread helped me by cluing me in to some details I may have been over looking. I dont play with head phones or speakers, my desktop is hooked to my Plasma TV.

It seems the big issue we were all having was with Surround Sound settings on our various cards and drivers, so after an hour of tooling around my Control Panel and ruling out all of those I decided on a hunch to try messing with my television's setting. Sure enough, it had Surround Sound turned on under the valumn menu. Turning this off made the problem stop.

TL;DR

If you're playing on your TV like me

1: Check your TV's valumn tab on the TV's Menu screen

2: If Surround Sound or Surround Sound Simmulation or any thing to that affect is turned on, turn it off

3: Enjoy your voice-cut free Skyrim experience.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For anyone with a Realtek sound card who is still having this problem, I just thought I'd share what worked for me.

I tried all of the above things and every other suggestion I could find, and none of it worked. I was looking up surround headphones at the time, and one review pointed out that they are just standard headphones with special drivers, and you can easily get software that does the same thing. When I installed one, I noticed it created its own playback device, seperate from the Realtek one. So I thought maybe if you bypass the Realtek driver altogether, it might fix this problem. And it did.

- Go to Sound in Control Panel and disable any device that has Realtek in its name. Also go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the Realtek drivers from there. (You can always download them again later if this doesn't work).

- Search for "razer surround", click on the first result, download and install.

You MUST do it in the above order or it won't work. Razer Surround is the first one I found; I'm not necessarily recommending it over others. It's free until the end of 2013 but remember to go back and DONATE if it works! If you have any problems, make Razer Surround Audio Controller is selected as the default playback device, and that there are no Realtek devices in the list.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Just tried this. Sound quality is MUCH better, no cutting out. Only downside is that the first thing I heard upon entering the game was

DO YOU GET TO THE CLOUD DISTRICT VERY OFTEN?

• 1 month later...

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVES!

I've had this issue in the past, and Razer Surround fixed it before. I now don't use any of my SoundBlaster services or drivers, and I have uninstalled all of them in favor of RzSurround.

Recently, I've started playing again- Lo and behold, the issue has resurfaced. I am using Logitech G230 headphones with Razer Surround, and the audio issue is still present.

I could use a hand with this. Anyone got any ideas for me?

It should be noted that I am using Windows 8.1 on my computer.

Edited by Gwain96

• 1 month later...

None of these solutions worked for me but I fixed the issue.

Turns out I had a third party software (can't remember what it was called) handling my audio not the 'stock' audio that I guess comes with the PC.

All I did was go to device manager, uninstall my sound software/driver (at this point I had no sound) and restart my PC after which the problem was fixed.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old topic, but holy crap, thank you! This issue just started for me on my current playthrough and I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was causing it. The OP's advice fixed it for me. :)

• 3 months later...

My Audio Devices:

AMD High Definition Audio Device

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

I have been getting cut-out with NPC dialogue ever sense I bought Skyrim. It usually occurs when I walk by someone, stand in a specific angle, or switch my POV.

I've tried switching my audio quality from 24 bit 192000 HZ to 16 bit 48000 HZ and I've had no success. I also downloaded a Razer Surround driver, that made my computer's sound quality even worse.

Help. Please. :sad:

• 1 month later...

My Audio Devices:

AMD High Definition Audio Device

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

I have been getting cut-out with NPC dialogue ever sense I bought Skyrim. It usually occurs when I walk by someone, stand in a specific angle, or switch my POV.

I've tried switching my audio quality from 24 bit 192000 HZ to 16 bit 48000 HZ and I've had no success. I also downloaded a Razer Surround driver, that made my computer's sound quality even worse.

Help. Please. :sad:

Restart your computer. In some games, not restarting your computer results in some very strange behaviors (for instance, in Neverwinter Nights 2, your character will move in large jumps rather than smoothly across the screen). In Skyrim, I've noticed it causes an issue with speech. It's possible it could be affecting other things too which are not as obvious.

Every time I go to play Skyrim, if I haven't restarted my computer in about two days or more, the voices will cut out. I presume it's an issue with how they're tracking time in the game loop.

• 4 weeks later...